Help me chose a electric screen - Brand and Grey or white? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 07-31-2013, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello all,

I am in the process of finishing up my projector setup. The projector is going to go in the living room with plenty of ambient light (3 windows in the room). Obviously I will close the blinds to block as much light as possible but I wont be able to block it all out and some light will be needed with guests over. We will do normal tv viewing during the afternoon and movies/games at night. I also like to watch football on Sundays and have guests over. As far as screen size, I am looking to go between 100-110". I plan on putting up a blackout cloth and deciding the size after a couple weeks of viewing.

So with this scenario here are my specs so far:

Projector - Optoma HD25-LV (ceiling mounted)
Seating distance - 11'6"
Throw distance - 12-14'
Walls - white, back wall the screen is against, grey
Ceiling - white (8' high)

Budget - $500 (willing to go up to $800 if warranted)
Type - Motorized/electric
Tab tensioned (if I can afford it, probably not though)

I was looking at getting the Elite VMAX110UWH2 but would like to explore other options. I do like the price point of the elite but with my scenario I was thinking maybe a grey screen would be better. Given that I cant fully control the ambient light until the sun goes down, would a grey screen be better for me?

I have also looked at the Da-Lite Cosmopolitan Electrol (MFR: 94271). Is this really almost worth double the cost of the Elite?

I also read another thread where someone mentioned a monoprice Screen. How about this one:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10829&cs_id=1082915&p_id=7944&seq=1&format=2
I do like that it is tab tensioned

Any thoughts appreciated!

Kris S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 07-31-2013, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Due to the ambient light situation I am leaning towards a high contrast grey screen. I found 2 in my price range:
Elitech 110" Electric Motorized Projector Projection Screen with Remote 16:9 HDTV Format High Contrast Grey

Draper 132108 Salara HDTV Format 106" Diagonal High Contrast Grey

I know nothing about the Elitech but the price point is great and the couple of reviews seem OK. From my research the Draper brand is higher end, no reviews on that specific screen that I can find.

And the best bang for the buck Grey w/ tab tension I found:

Tab-Tensioned Motorized Projection Screen (Somfy Motor) w/ IR Remote - HD Grey Fabric (106 inch, 16:9)

Here are the white screens that are within my price range that seem decent:

Elite Screens - VMAX110UWH2 VMAX2 Series 110" Diag. (54x96) Electric Projector Screen

Da-Lite Cosmopolitan Electrol, HDTV Format Electric Wall and Ceiling Projection Screen, 54x96"
tomta likes this.

Kris S
post #3 of 36 Old 08-01-2013, 03:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I don't know much about screens was leaning toward a Favi myself but looking at the Elitech you posted about I saw something interesting on their site;
Quote:
*With the Programmable Remote Control, you can program the screen to drop to any distance at your will. With this function, changing the screen format (from 16:9 to 16:10, or vise versa) is just a touch of the button! (Patent Pending). You can easily set the screen for HDTV (16:9) format, or Wide Screen (16:10) format by programming the screen to drop to appropriate distance. This feature perfectly matches the format-exchangeable feature of today's projectors.

I am not sure how often one would switch between 16:9 and 16:10 formats but sounds like a very nice feature to have.
post #4 of 36 Old 08-01-2013, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socio View Post

I don't know much about screens was leaning toward a Favi myself but looking at the Elitech you posted about I saw something interesting on their site;
I am not sure how often one would switch between 16:9 and 16:10 formats but sounds like a very nice feature to have.

Not sure I would ever use that feature, I suppose it would be nice for viewing PC content though.

However, after reading the review and screen recommendations of the Optoma HD24-LV here:
http://www.projectorreviews.com/optoma/hd25-lv/screens.php
I am pretty sure I will get a grey screen. I really like the high 1.1 gain on the Elitech. I wish I could find more info on the Draper

Any other gray screen recommendations under $800ish would be appreciated smile.gif

Kris S
post #5 of 36 Old 08-01-2013, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

(guess I will talk to myself here, haha)

So I ran the screen surface calculation on Da-Lites website. They suggest their Spectra Fabric with a 1.5 gain. Found a screen within my price range:
http://www.projectorscreenstore.com/Projector-Screens/Da-Lite-54x96-Cosmopolitan-Electrol-94273-Video-Spectra-15-Fabric-HDTV-Format-Projector-Screen-9963.html

Also decided to run the calculator on Drapers website, they recommend their Pearl White CH1900E with a gain of 1.9. Found this one here:
http://www.bigscreencenter.com/product-p/136104ej.htm

ugghhh, this is getting more difficult the more I research. Seems as though Da-Lite and Draper want to give me high gain white screens while places I read say I should opt for a grey screen.

Kris S
post #6 of 36 Old 08-01-2013, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkms View Post

Not sure I would ever use that feature, I suppose it would be nice for viewing PC content though.

However, after reading the review and screen recommendations of the Optoma HD24-LV here:
http://www.projectorreviews.com/optoma/hd25-lv/screens.php
I am pretty sure I will get a grey screen. I really like the high 1.1 gain on the Elitech. I wish I could find more info on the Draper

Any other gray screen recommendations under $800ish would be appreciated smile.gif

I tried to contact Elitech for more detailed measurements of there 92 inch screen and get a 500 Internal Server Error when using their customer service link, that is usually a sign to stay away from them.

The Favi screens like the one I am going to get are matte white with a 1.3 gain if that helps.
post #7 of 36 Old 08-02-2013, 03:41 AM

Liked: 11
dont go Da-Lite, read other posts here about the stickiness that use to develop this screen and the poor customer service that they offer. be carefull
post #8 of 36 Old 08-02-2013, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socio View Post

I tried to contact Elitech for more detailed measurements of there 92 inch screen and get a 500 Internal Server Error when using their customer service link, that is usually a sign to stay away from them.

The Favi screens like the one I am going to get are matte white with a 1.3 gain if that helps.
Interesting you got that error. I was on their website yesterday and I was able to submit a question through their system. No response yet though.

I did ask a reviewer on Amazon how they are still liking their purchase and the response was positive:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R14T2MQ4YY82ZW/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B008GXLVEC&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=#wasThisHelpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorsan View Post

dont go Da-Lite, read other posts here about the stickiness that use to develop this screen and the poor customer service that they offer. be carefull

I will research this. I was always under the impression that Da-Lite was a good screen company.

Kris S
post #9 of 36 Old 08-02-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting you got that error. I was on their website yesterday and I was able to submit a question through their system. No response yet though.

Odd I still get the error, I guess it is my sign to go with the Favi.
post #10 of 36 Old 08-06-2013, 06:13 PM

Liked: 14
I have the 120" Favi and have been very happy with it for almost a year now. No regrets. Great bang for the buck. wink.gif

Steven J
post #11 of 36 Old 08-12-2013, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven414 View Post

I have the 120" Favi and have been very happy with it for almost a year now. No regrets. Great bang for the buck. wink.gif

+1

I've had this http://www.htdepot.com/Focupix-Flexio-16-9-Electric-Motorized-Screen-125-p/20028.htm for 2 1/2 years and am convinced it's the same screen.wink.gif Never had any wrinkles or waves and continues to operate perfectly.

Ed

BTW, the viewable area IS 120". 125" includes the black borders.
post #12 of 36 Old 08-12-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

My concern with the Focupix is the 1.3 gain white screen. My Optoma HD25-LV is 3200 lumens and will be in a room with a lot of ambient light. How will the focupix perform in that situation?

I do love the price point and positive reviews though!!

Kris S
post #13 of 36 Old 08-12-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:

My concern with the Focupix is the 1.3 gain white screen. My Optoma HD25-LV is 3200 lumens and will be in a room with a lot of ambient light. How will the focupix perform in that situation?

I do love the price point and positive reviews though!!

I do not think that would be a problem. I'm running a BenQ w7000 with 2000 lumens, w/some ambient light and it looks fine.

Steven J
post #14 of 36 Old 08-15-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing or kayaking )
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:

I've owned Da-Lite electric screens for over 10 years ( I currently have one that works fine that's 5 years old ) - they come now with a 5 year warranty. They make a good screen.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #15 of 36 Old 08-15-2013, 04:26 PM

I just recently decided I wanted to upgrade to a “higher quality” screen with a bit more gain (cuz I watch a lot of 3D). I had a budget of under $1000. I ended up choosing a 120” Cosmopolitan Electra Dalite with the video spectra 1.5 material. I thought it was strange that I was unable to find much info in regards to reviews on this material, but I bought it anyway cuz it fit my budget.

Generally speaking I do like the screen. It does have a nice pop and the colors look good, and it does look great for 3D, but I had 2 issues: First, it does suffer from a bit of “the sparkly” syndrome, but it’s not so bad that I can’t deal with it. And second, I noticed vertical lines that were noticeable during brighter scenes, especially on the right side of the screen. The left side of the screen looks fine.

That was an issue that I could not deal with so I called Dalite and they asked me to send them a photo… which I did. They confirmed that this was certainly an issue with the material and they agreed to send me new material on a roller, which I will have to switch out in the case.

Their customer service was excellent. They gave me no problem at all. And, they told me that if this new screen had similar issues they would work with me to find something that I will be happy with. If this next screen does have a similar issue I will not replace it with the same material, even if I have to spend a little more.

Steven J
post #16 of 36 Old 08-16-2013, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Well for anyone who might be interested; I decided to get the Optoma HD25e instead of the LV. Cheaper bulb, cheaper projector and not a huge difference in lumens. Kind of a no brainer in my book.

Now for the screen I pulled the trigger on a high contrast grey screen:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008GXLVEC/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I didn't want to get a $700+ screen and not be happy with it (since I can't try before I buy).

The screen should be here Tuesday. As soon as I get it up and running i will give a review for any who are interested.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Kris S
post #17 of 36 Old 09-08-2013, 08:29 AM

Liked: 10
Have you tested the screen yet? I am very interested. I am thinking of buying a cheap grey screen for the fabric, and then make a tab-tensioned version of it by myself. However, it would of course be better to spend a little bit more money for a good screen. But based on posts on this forum I doubt that a wringle free screen for less than 300$ is impossible...
post #18 of 36 Old 09-08-2013, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry for not getting a review going, life has been busy lately. Dont have a lot of time today either but here is my quick take on the screen I got.

First and foremost, you get what you pay for. I figure this to be a temporary screen and will upgrade in the future. The picture on it is fantastic looking however;
Long waves on both sides going vertical almost all the way down. Most noticeable during dark scenes and ambient room light. It is hard to see with no ambient light watching a movie but during the day it drives me nuts.
The masking is just ghetto. Looks cheap and it seems to sag down a bit on the middle top of the screen.

Anyways the picture looks great on the material minus the waves..

Picture Quality 4 out of 5
Build Quality 2 out of 5
Value 3 out of 5

Would I buy it again? No

I took pictures of the waves. I will take more pictures of the build quality and try to get them uploaded. Please be patient though, life has been busy as of late. Thanks

Kris
opperhoof likes this.

Kris S
post #19 of 36 Old 09-24-2013, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Any pictures yet? I've read keeping the screen down a few days can get rid of initial waves, are they still there?
post #20 of 36 Old 09-24-2013, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip, I will leave it down the rest of the week.

Here are some pics;

Kris S
post #21 of 36 Old 09-25-2013, 04:30 AM

Did you contact the manufacturer? I know the non-tensioned screen are notorious for developing waves after a couple years but I wouldn't expect it out of the box.
post #22 of 36 Old 10-03-2013, 07:08 AM

Any updates on the screen, waves any better, how is the picture quality with a little ambient light?
post #23 of 36 Old 10-03-2013, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Picture quality is great, even in ambient light (obviously better with no light though).

I have not contacted the manufacturer. Honestly the wave is not really visible unless you are looking for it and it doesn't bother me enough to go through the brain damage of RMA. it has gotten a tad bit better though. I still need to leave it down for a few days though to see if that helps.

Kris S
post #24 of 36 Old 01-14-2014, 01:57 PM

Weird, I just found myself in the exact same boat you were in.  I was going to get the HD25-LV, then decided to go for the HD25-e for the exact same reasons as you did.  Then over the course of my online research, it seemed a grey screen might suite me best, and the Elitech 120" Electric High Contrast Grey Screen was a good price on Amazon.

Unfortunately I pulled the trigger on purchasing the screen right before I found this thread.  Do you have any updates on your screen?  More or less issues with waves?  Any troubles with the motor?

I may still have time to cancel my order if this screen is a dud.

post #25 of 36 Old 01-15-2014, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

The waves are still there. Not really noticeable unless its a really dark scene or I have the room lights on. As far as the motor, it still works like the first day I got it. All and all I am satisfied with the screen. Kind of wish the waves weren't there but its not enough of a issue to deal with a RMA or dishing out money for a new screen.

Kris S
post #26 of 36 Old 01-16-2014, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
That screen looks very similar to the one I have. It seems the elite, favi and others are the same cheapo Chinese screen. Look at the casing and the controller. Having said that though you really can't complain for the price.
I know this is Amazon uk, but if you look at the pics you will see what I mean.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004XBZXH2
post #27 of 36 Old 01-20-2014, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Which one did you end up going with?

I'm also going with a grey (probably) electric tab-tensioned although I don't have a hard cap on budget.

post #28 of 36 Old 04-16-2014, 05:19 AM

Hi I am building small HT. I would like to buy some Epson projector UB 8500 or 5020. But I dont know which electric screen would be the best for me. Any recomendation? will be enought budget around 600-800 USD?

post #29 of 36 Old 04-20-2014, 02:14 PM

I had a Da-Lite manual 106" screen for year and to get the unevenness out of it, I had to place a 5# dumb bell weight on each end.  The end protruded out about an inch or so and the weight flattened the screen but didn't look too professional.  I just ordered a new Da Lite 119" HD electric screen with tension for a new house and hope it solves the wrinkle effect.

post #30 of 36 Old 04-24-2014, 02:21 PM

what about diamond black sreen and epson projectors?

Reply Screens

Tags
Optoma Hd25 Lv 3d Home Theater Projector , New Elite Screens Vmax2 Electric Projectio Screen Vmax106uwh2 , Optoma Hd25 Hd 3d Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page