Does your high power blind you or do you love it? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-14-2013, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have seen some KILLER screenshots of the high power being used with bright projectors like the hw50es from forum user Zombie.

My question is to everyone is that is your high power to bright or does it annoy you? Has anyone feel like their high power blinds them at all with these brighter projectors? Have you switched from high power to lower gain screen?

I have a hw50es on order myself and while it is a bright projector, I really want to watch sports in the day time/lights on this football season, but I also want to enjoy my games and movies. My room is light controlled and will be painted very dark with black ceilings or all black. Seating will be about 13ft from 133", projector mounted at about 16-17ft on back wall in correct location for an HP screen

So has anyone feel like their high power blinds them at all with these brighter projectors?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-15-2013, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I guess 29 views and no responses = a good thing?

haha

post #3 of 14 Old 08-15-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 149
love it, would like it even brighter, but I do have a 142" screen and am getting about 1.8 gain with my setup

Noah
post #4 of 14 Old 08-15-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I can be a little bright.. PD 8150 new lamp, eco mode iris off (it don't work with a crap) 14' from 110" old 2.8Gain at eye level just over my left shoulder. Have not measured it yet.. but it is less than the 40fl the calibrated LCD puts out next to it. but this projector is not as bright as the Sony. now move to the cheap seats on the side and not so bright.. This is a special screen for a special setup, it does not work for every environment nor is it needed if the projector is bright and the screen size is reasonable for the light output of the the projector.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-16-2013, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I had the Benq W7000 at close to max gain, I was probably getting 80ftL with a dark theater, of course all lights were on. It looked great. I also use a jvc with it, with the manual iris, I can set my lumens from 250 lumens to 900 lumens. These cant be too bright if you can adjust the iris.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-16-2013, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah more I think about it, the more I want an HP. I just know it's something I can't really return if I don't like it (i only have samples, but no projector because it's on order, sold my old projector), but I'm scared to get a normal screen and regret not getting an HP to have the lights on.

anyone have any video/pics to share of your HP setups?

post #7 of 14 Old 10-06-2013, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

love it, would like it even brighter, but I do have a 142" screen and am getting about 1.8 gain with my setup

Why are you only getting 1.8?.... I hope it's because the PJ is mounted higher. I haven't bought my components yet, but according to the screen gain calculator I will have 1.9 gain (enough for my setup), but if you are in a similar position, I have a question.

Do you have any problems with bright spots or black lines or any other problems with mounting the PJ high with a high power screen
post #8 of 14 Old 10-06-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcarfan View Post

Why are you only getting 1.8?.... I hope it's because the PJ is mounted higher. I haven't bought my components yet, but according to the screen gain calculator I will have 1.9 gain (enough for my setup), but if you are in a similar position, I have a question.

Do you have any problems with bright spots or black lines or any other problems with mounting the PJ high with a high power screen

Mounting the projector improperly for the screen fabric translates to no gain at your seating location. Black lines are issues with the manufacturing process and should not be there.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-06-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Mounting the projector improperly for the screen fabric translates to no gain at your seating location. Black lines are issues with the manufacturing process and should not be there.

I don't think it works that way.... The gain depends on how non-optimal the position is. It is not an all or none thing. I should get about a 1.9 gain from this 2.4 gain screen.

Good to know black lines are a manufacturing problem. Thanks!
post #10 of 14 Old 10-06-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, my pj is 7' from the floor.

No uniformity issues (a HP strength) and no black lines, which as already pointed out.is unrelated to setup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcarfan View Post

Noah
post #11 of 14 Old 10-07-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Yes, my pj is 7' from the floor.

No uniformity issues (a HP strength) and no black lines, which as already pointed out.is unrelated to setup.

Thanks!
post #12 of 14 Old 10-07-2013, 06:32 PM

Noah,

With the projector at 7 foot from the floor, does your screen is close to your ceiling? I have a 7ft4 ceiling height and mounting the projo at that height will be ideal as it is the best i could mount it. However, the screen would be 2 inch below the ceiling for a 110 inch diag setup. I am waIting for for the sony 55es to be released and i value your opinions on whether HP would work or whether i should go with hdpro 1.1 ceiling is black,wall dark and room fairly controlled. I have samples to test but a user with full screen usage is better.

Perhaps the 55es provides enough fl to have both 2d and 3d for 1.1 gain screen. My previous inquiries in this forum mentioned that HP low angles are not worth it for such a screen size. What do you think?

Thanks
Yannick
post #13 of 14 Old 10-08-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The top of my screen is 8' from the floor.

My question is always why *wouldn't* a person get a HP.

Even if you get a gain of 1, you still get its other advantages - uniformity, rejection of off-axis light, and waves not visible.

Possible answers in the affirmative are extreme setup angles or particular light source locations.

You could get the pj and try it on a white wall or sheet, which are ~ gain of 1.
ylestrat likes this.

Noah
post #14 of 14 Old 10-08-2013, 03:32 PM

Thanks noah,

I cant wait to get my projo and get some tests. I ll try all my samples at different location to see all differences. If it works, i m sure i can appeciate what HP brings.

Yannick
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page