Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-16-2013, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hi Folks,

My room is 16 x 30 x 9 and I will be making a false wall so it will shrink somewhat in length. I am building my HT around two things I desire most, Audio system and screen size.

My audio system which will consist of JBL professional cinema speakers will require me to invest into an acoustically transparent screen. Screen size to be 160" wide (give or take an inch or two) 2.35:1 which brings me to my first dilemma....curved or flat?

I like the idea of an Imax type feel with the curved screen but I do not know the pros and cons of such a screen...not that it really matters because my mind is pretty much made up, I WANT ONE! But is it practical, not that it matters because I WANT ONE! but they seem to be pricey, ugh I WANT ONE!

Okay so I'm looking at the Elite AcousticPro1080 curved frame or the Center Stage XD 2.35 screen which has a gain of 1.2 which is a plus (wish it was more) but if I do a curved screen is it a must to have a special lens on the projector I choose? I have not decided on a projector yet but I want it to work with this type of screen.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

BTW, I don't have the budget for a Stewart screen as most of my cash will be tied up in the audio.

Have a Happy and safe New Year!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-17-2013, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 53

If you do a 2.35 curved screen I would us an anamorphic lens.  I'd also use it to get the added brightness over the zoom method for that size screen.  Make sure your projector has a mode for use with an anamorphic lens or you would need a separate video processor if it doesn't.

post #3 of 3 Old 08-17-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by 316 View Post

Hi Folks,

My room is 16 x 30 x 9 and I will be making a false wall so it will shrink somewhat in length. I am building my HT around two things I desire most, Audio system and screen size.

My audio system which will consist of JBL professional cinema speakers will require me to invest into an acoustically transparent screen. Screen size to be 160" wide (give or take an inch or two) 2.35:1 which brings me to my first dilemma....curved or flat?

I like the idea of an Imax type feel with the curved screen but I do not know the pros and cons of such a screen...not that it really matters because my mind is pretty much made up, I WANT ONE! But is it practical, not that it matters because I WANT ONE! but they seem to be pricey, ugh I WANT ONE!

Okay so I'm looking at the Elite AcousticPro1080 curved frame or the Center Stage XD 2.35 screen which has a gain of 1.2 which is a plus (wish it was more) but if I do a curved screen is it a must to have a special lens on the projector I choose? I have not decided on a projector yet but I want it to work with this type of screen.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

BTW, I don't have the budget for a Stewart screen as most of my cash will be tied up in the audio.

With either of those screens, I would use 1.0 for the gain. As Bob said, you should use an A-lens with a curved screen. I would also be very concerned with brightness with that size and gain screen. What projector are you planning on pairing with this screen?

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page