are drops adjustable? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 08-16-2013, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi,

I have a 9' (108") ceiling and I'd like to use a 110" electric tab tensioned screen and have 32.75" between the floor and the very bottom edge of the screen. I need that space for a 24" tall a/v component stand and 8.75" for the height of my center channel.

So to say it another way, my screen height (including mounting hardware, drop, screen border and actual viewable screen, etc) height must not exceed 75.25" (108" - 32.75").

I've found some screens that nearly meet my needed dimensions, however most either have not enough drop (so I'll be looking more towards the ceiling) or too much drop (and the screen would drop in front of my center channel).

So, my question is if the drop portion is adjustable. On some screens with a 24" drop, if I could adjust that to only drop 18", those screens would be perfect.

Is the drop length adjustable on electric screens, or will the distance from the top of the screen to the ceiling always be a minimum of 24" with a screen that has a 24" drop?

Thanks in advance.

Samsung TV - PN59D8000 - wall mounted
HW50ES projector w/electric Elite 120" ceiling mounted screen (drops in front of plasma)
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3000
Front Speakers - B&W CM9, Center - B&W CMC2, Surrounds - B&W CM5
SVS PB12+, SVS PB13 Ultra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-16-2013, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Why not just order the screen with 18" of drop? Or are you wanting to adjust it later?

B.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-16-2013, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

The screens I'm looking at aren't available with just an 18" drop. For the record, I'm looking at ~110" Elite and Monoprice electric tab tensioned screens.

So are drops not adjustable?

HW50ES projector w/electric Elite 120" ceiling mounted screen (drops in front of plasma)
post #4 of 15 Old 08-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I don't know much, well really nothing about electric screens but do have a couple of friends that do have'em and if I'm understanding you correct then the answer is yes. You can stop the screen anywhere in the adjustable range. If that's what you're asking???
post #5 of 15 Old 08-16-2013, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Yup, I think that's what I'm asking. If the full length is x using the full drop, I'd like to decrease the length by reducing only the drop.

post #6 of 15 Old 08-17-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmeat View Post

The screens I'm looking at aren't available with just an 18" drop. For the record, I'm looking at ~110" Elite and Monoprice electric tab tensioned screens.

So are drops not adjustable?

Tab tensioned screens have very little adjustment, unless you are going to re-work the tension lines. Non-tab tension screens can be adjusted for different drops without any problems. At least without any additional problems, since non-tab tensioned screens have a tendency to wrinkle and curl.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #7 of 15 Old 08-22-2013, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have a Monoprice electric tab tensioned 106" screen and it is fully adjustable. You can adjust the drop length and roll up height.
post #8 of 15 Old 08-23-2013, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. I contacted monoprice last weekend and they didn't know the answer. They were supposed to have opened a ticket and responded back, but I haven't seen anything yet.

BTW, how do you like the screen? I've bought many things from them in the past and have always been happy, so I'd definitely consider their screens.

post #9 of 15 Old 08-26-2013, 09:37 AM

Liked: 11
Another question about this, I am mounting mine over a fireplace and was looking at the monoprice 106". I would like to have 2 different drop positions, one with the fireplace on and one with it off. The projector has lens memory, so I would shrink the picture to fit. Could I drop it down 3/4 of the way with the fireplace on and down fully with it off from the remote? If not, then I will have to drop down to a 92" screen. Thanks!
post #10 of 15 Old 08-26-2013, 10:31 AM

Liked: 10
Sweetmeat, have you considered EluneVision screens? They have tab tensioned screens with 24" drops and the drop is adjustable.
Their screens are warranted for 3 years vs. 1 year for Monoprice.

EluneVision screens are sold by Eastporters.com
post #11 of 15 Old 09-10-2013, 07:47 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmeat View Post

Thanks for your reply. I contacted monoprice last weekend and they didn't know the answer. They were supposed to have opened a ticket and responded back, but I haven't seen anything yet.

BTW, how do you like the screen? I've bought many things from them in the past and have always been happy, so I'd definitely consider their screens.

I think the screen is great!. It's my first projector setup so I don't have anything to compare it to. It's in my basement great room where it gets no help from the tan walls and white ceiling. It makes my Epson 8350 look fantastic. The motor isn't too loud and it looks boss when it opens and closes. I've had it for about 2 years now and haven't had any issues with it.

It only has one drop position. But you can adjust the screen up and down with the remote once it has opened.
post #12 of 15 Old 09-10-2013, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinkead View Post

Sweetmeat, have you considered EluneVision screens? They have tab tensioned screens with 24" drops and the drop is adjustable.
Their screens are warranted for 3 years vs. 1 year for Monoprice.

EluneVision screens are sold by Eastporters.com

Would those EluneVision screens be a step up from the Elite Cinetension2 screens?
post #13 of 15 Old 09-10-2013, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Tab tensioned screens have very little adjustment, unless you are going to re-work the tension lines. Non-tab tension screens can be adjusted for different drops without any problems. At least without any additional problems, since non-tab tensioned screens have a tendency to wrinkle and curl.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you on this statement concerning the Elite Cinetension2 screen anyway. I have two of them different sizes with different amounts of drop, and I can assure you that the drop is completely adjustable. I have a 20" drop version and a 24" drop version, both are adjustable from 0-20" or 0-24". All you have to do is grab an allen bit driver and turn the correct dial the correct direction, Elite can email you the directions as well.

Brolic also has a video on youtube of this being done for the Elite Cinetension2 screen. Your screen will still be tensioned with no problems and even the tensioning is adjustable as well.
post #14 of 15 Old 09-12-2013, 11:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoneyman2323 View Post

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you on this statement concerning the Elite Cinetension2 screen anyway. I have two of them different sizes with different amounts of drop, and I can assure you that the drop is completely adjustable. I have a 20" drop version and a 24" drop version, both are adjustable from 0-20" or 0-24". All you have to do is grab an allen bit driver and turn the correct dial the correct direction, Elite can email you the directions as well.

Brolic also has a video on youtube of this being done for the Elite Cinetension2 screen. Your screen will still be tensioned with no problems and even the tensioning is adjustable as well.

Adjusting the drop and adjusting the cable tension are two different things. I think all electric screens come with stop adjustment. If you reduce the drop, you need to adjust the cable tension. If this is not done correctly, you can get wrinkles and waves in your screen.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #15 of 15 Old 09-12-2013, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Adjusting the drop and adjusting the cable tension are two different things. I think all electric screens come with stop adjustment. If you reduce the drop, you need to adjust the cable tension. If this is not done correctly, you can get wrinkles and waves in your screen.

Correct, I was just saying that both are completely doable at any drop you select on the elite model screen. Doesn't take long and is just trial and error
Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page