Seeking advise - I know you know -So help me help you to help me! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-19-2013, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

This is my first post here, but have referenced this site many times over the years. So thank you for your posting facts and opinions to help us lesser educated make decisions.

My questions is regarding screen advise.

I have a yamaha dpx-1200 projector. And I need a screen.

In the past, I had it in a small bedroom, projecting on a white board bought at home depot. Sitting about 8ft away with about 90" screen. Was pretty happy with this picture (don't make fun of me)haha (room was perfectly dark)

Here is current situation;

Projector about 15' from wall (room is 17' deep). 8' room height. 16' room width. Lite colored walls, not much light control, but will mostly be watching at night, so not a big deal.

I will be sitting about 14' from screen. I have played with size, viewing projection on wall, and seem to keep adjusting back to about 120" diag size.

At the moment, I am on a very tight budget. Have been considering an Elite screen on Amazon like one listed below

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PHLB88/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0RCY7TD3JKDK0XB7P8Z0&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

Or a FAVI electric drop down like:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026DTP2S/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0RCY7TD3JKDK0XB7P8Z0&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

I do not need a drop down, and could go with:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026DTP2S/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0RCY7TD3JKDK0XB7P8Z0&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

I understand my projector is not very bright, and am hoping to hear that from this distance, with this screen size, and this budget, I can find a happy outcome.

Wow, long post for a simple questions. ahahaha - but you can tell I'm putting some thought into this at least smile.gif

I am medium handy, and would be ok putting together a screen, but maybe not building one from scratch.

Thanks in advance guys and gals!!!

Your advice will really help me enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-19-2013, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcantSEEthat View Post

Hi all,

This is my first post here, but have referenced this site many times over the years. So thank you for your posting facts and opinions to help us lesser educated make decisions.

My questions is regarding screen advise.

I have a yamaha dpx-1200 projector. And I need a screen.

In the past, I had it in a small bedroom, projecting on a white board bought at home depot. Sitting about 8ft away with about 90" screen. Was pretty happy with this picture (don't make fun of me)haha (room was perfectly dark)

Here is current situation;

Projector about 15' from wall (room is 17' deep). 8' room height. 16' room width. Lite colored walls, not much light control, but will mostly be watching at night, so not a big deal.

I will be sitting about 14' from screen. I have played with size, viewing projection on wall, and seem to keep adjusting back to about 120" diag size.

At the moment, I am on a very tight budget. Have been considering an Elite screen on Amazon like one listed below

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PHLB88/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0RCY7TD3JKDK0XB7P8Z0&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

Or a FAVI electric drop down like:

I do not need a drop down, and could go with:

I understand my projector is not very bright, and am hoping to hear that from this distance, with this screen size, and this budget, I can find a happy outcome.

Wow, long post for a simple questions. ahahaha - but you can tell I'm putting some thought into this at least smile.gif

I am medium handy, and would be ok putting together a screen, but maybe not building one from scratch.

Thanks in advance guys and gals!!!

Your advice will really help me enjoy!

Where is the projector mounted? If you can place it on a shelf just above your seated eye level and you only have a couple of seats that would be in front of the projector a Dalite HP would work great. You can do a search on Dalite HP for more info on the screen and it's caveats to achieve the best results.
I use one of the old HP 2.8 Gain (new one is 2.4) at 110" from 14' seating with a Planar 8150 on low lamp.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-19-2013, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the help!

The projector is mounted on a shelf, just installed, above the seating position. The lens is about equal to the top of the screen, maybe a bit below. This projector has a auto position adjust, where it seems to just tilt the entire lens up and down via the remote. (not sure if most do, my last one did not have this - it was a samsung, 7 something I think)

I have one row of seating, and it is about 11' feet wide. The room is basically square, and there is a walkway on one side. So the couch is about 11 feet width, with 4 feet on one side and 1.5 or so on the other. The projector, (and soon screen), is positioned over center of seating area.

So my throw is abt 15', seating is about 11' wide, viewing distance abt 14', but could push back to about 16', or up to about 12' if needed. And the room is about 16-17' wide.

90% of my viewing is movies, dvd and blu ray, if that make a difference.

Would a gain that high give me "hot-spotting"? I understand this concept, but have no idea about real world workings.

Haha, are you guys laughing at how uneducated people can be in regards to some things. eek.gif I appreciate your patience!
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page