A Da-lite Dilemma (with video spectra) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-19-2013, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I know there's already a "Dalite" thread but I can see it hasn't been touched in years, so I decided to start this one where it would more likely be seen.

I'm caught up in a bit of a dilemma. I now realize that I made a BIG mistake buying a Dalite video spectra screen for home theater use. The first time I fired up my PJ I noticed the screen had vertical bands showing on the right half of the screen that were irritating. I called Dalite and they graciously offered to send me a new screen and roller which I would have to change out in the case… which I did… and low and behold the new screen was even worse than the original. This time the vertical bands covered the whole screen, not just the right half. (I should also note that I have 2 screens and 2 PJ’s so it was not hard to narrow the problem down to a screen issue).

I called Dalite again, and they agreed to set me up with a completely different screen and credit the price of the Video Spectra towards it, which was cool of them to do. My dilemma is which screen to choose. The more I read, the more confused I get. I would like to stick with at least a 1.3 gain cuz I do watch a lot of 3D. The Cinema Vision 1.3 gain sounds nice but some have said the gain is over rated and the colors tend to suffer some.

I’m using a BenQ W7000, wanting a 110” 16:9 screen and ambient like is not an issue. So, what do you think Dalite fans (or not)? If you were in a similar circumstance, with a budget of a grand, and you HAD to choose a Dalite screen, which one would you choose? confused.gif

Here's an example of the banding issue I'm referring to.

Steven J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2013, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 24
what about a high power since you watch alot of 3d?

Old 08-19-2013, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

I have thought about that material. I've read some good reviews and some not so good. I asked dalite about that and they told me that HP would not be a good choice with the 2000 lumens PJ I have. They said it would tend to hot spot, and my PJ would need to be lowered. I'm also conceerned about sparkleys. The video spectra has sparkleys and I don't much like it. Does any one have an HP out there? What do you think?

Steven J
Old 08-19-2013, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 53

Choosing from the Da-lite material I'd either go with the Cinema Vision or one of the JKP fabrics but they don't have as much gain.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:05 AM
TL5
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
There is a new JKP screen with 1.3 gain you should check out. I have the Cinema Vision and don't like it much - it has an annoying grainy pattern on large fields of colors.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven414 View Post

I have thought about that material. I've read some good reviews and some not so good. I asked dalite about that and they told me that HP would not be a good choice with the 2000 lumens PJ I have. They said it would tend to hot spot, and my PJ would need to be lowered. I'm also conceerned about sparkleys. The video spectra has sparkleys and I don't much like it. Does any one have an HP out there? What do you think?

people who own it here says it doesn't hotspot, and you can always turn the brightness down on projectors. plenty of the big enthusiasts who take insane screen shots and do comparisons/reviews here use it too like zombie, coderguy etc.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threefiddie View Post

people who own it here says it doesn't hotspot, and you can always turn the brightness down on projectors. plenty of the big enthusiasts who take insane screen shots and do comparisons/reviews here use it too like zombie, coderguy etc.

The current HP 2.4 has had issues with banding.. not sure wtf Dalite is doing but they need to fix the problem. The HP is a specialty screen that works well with under powered (low light) projectors and to allow a bright projector to light up a really big screen. Also with 3D it will give you a really nice image on a reasonably sized screen. To get the gain the projector has to be just above eye level, otherwise you will have a gain of about 1.
If you can make that change you can have really good 3d. You may need to close the iris and set up a 2D memory setting with lower contrast setting or maybe add an ND filter if it is to bright. I do not have a realy bright projector nor do I have the new HP, I am using the old 2.8 HP with a Planar 8150 and prior to that a Mitsubishi HC3000, both on low lamp.
Screen shots don't really tell you much but I happen to snap this with an old 4MegPixle camera last night from 14' back of 110 HP 2.8, projector just over my left shoulder. As you can see, no sparkles.. but I this is the original HP most everyone loved.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Image looks nice and smooth, Doug and colors look great! It is a tempting material. This "banding" issue with some of dalite's materials is something I have read about before in other customer reviews. Dalite did admit that this is a common problem with "another one of their materials" (other than video spectra), but they didn't say which one. This is clearly an issue they really do need to resolve. I'm left feeling totally apprehensive to get any dalite screens, period. Even though their customer service was great, I really don't want to go through the complaining and returning hassle again.

Fortunately dalite just informed me they will be refunding me the full purchase price once they receive the screen. So I think I'm going to go with something different.

Steve

Steven J
Old 08-20-2013, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member

i just got a carada 134" bw screen from avs. maybe you should look into carada since you are getting a refund? anything other brand would likely be more expensive than what you have already spent.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't know avs sold screens! Where did you find it at? Are you happy with the screen?

Steven J
Old 08-21-2013, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

I haven't received it yet. should be here friday a long with rest of the ht gear i bought.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven414 View Post

I didn't know avs sold screens! Where did you find it at? Are you happy with the screen?

You call their sales department and they can help you out with any of the major screen manufactures.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I haven't received it yet. should be here friday a long with rest of the ht gear i bought.

I would be very curious to hear what you think of the screen. Please let me/us know.

Steven J
Old 08-22-2013, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

carada got here today. I have already put it together but it isn't hung up because I haven't built the fake wall it is going on and the projector doesn't get here until tomorrow. But so far what I've seen it's very nice. Can't wait to see projector on it

Old 08-22-2013, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Cool! keep me updated...

Steven J
Old 08-27-2013, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Loving my carada! It's very nice. Very nice frame too. No sparkles in material and I can't see the texture.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Looks really nice. What size is it, and what's the gain? Looks like we have the same speakers... Polk Audio, right? Great bang for the buck.

Steven J
Old 08-27-2013, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

134"

yeah polk monitor II 's 25c center, 75t fronts and 45b rears and two bic f12 12" subs

Old 08-28-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:

Loving my carada! It's very nice. Very nice frame too. No sparkles in material and I can't see the texture.

Looks good. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .