Stewart Ultramatte 150 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-20-2013, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hello, I am going to get an Eposon 6020 UB and would like help with a screen-I am new to projection.I have a 17 x 14 room with black front wall/ceiling and the remaining 3 walls are very dark brown-2 windows at right angles to each other on one side of the room. The room is very dark and with shades closed, I guess you would say a "bat cave".
Here is my main question-I am working with an dealer (good by reputation), and he suggests a 100" max screen, which I agree with (saw his setup of the 6020 with 100" screen). He says he has a used Stewart Ultramatte 150 (model SN100) and will sell for about $400.
Since the Epson has plenty of light output, would I need a screen with 1.5 gain? Primarily using the room for movies, but also would like it for sports and would want some ambient light in room for NFL,etc. I called Stewart and the sales guy said that would be a good screen for the Epson, it would really make the colors pop, but sacrifice some black level. I know Stewart is supposed to be one of the better manufacturers, but If you guys think this is not a good match, please let me know, because then it makes me wonder about the dealer. He said the screen new is about $1500.
I hate to start out with something that is mismatched.
Please help a newbie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2013, 06:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post

Hello, I am going to get an Eposon 6020 UB and would like help with a screen-I am new to projection.I have a 17 x 14 room with black front wall/ceiling and the remaining 3 walls are very dark brown-2 windows at right angles to each other on one side of the room. The room is very dark and with shades closed, I guess you would say a "bat cave".
Here is my main question-I am working with an dealer (good by reputation), and he suggests a 100" max screen, which I agree with (saw his setup of the 6020 with 100" screen). He says he has a used Stewart Ultramatte 150 (model SN100) and will sell for about $400.
Since the Epson has plenty of light output, would I need a screen with 1.5 gain? Primarily using the room for movies, but also would like it for sports and would want some ambient light in room for NFL,etc. I called Stewart and the sales guy said that would be a good screen for the Epson, it would really make the colors pop, but sacrifice some black level. I know Stewart is supposed to be one of the better manufacturers, but If you guys think this is not a good match, please let me know, because then it makes me wonder about the dealer. He said the screen new is about $1500.
I hate to start out with something that is mismatched.
Please help a newbie.

100" with a 1.5 gain screen even at longest throw in your room, you are looking at:

Low lamp best image mode, calibrated 26+ FL
High lamp, best image mode, calibrated 35 FL
Max brightness using a calibrated higher lumen mode 65 FL

In a good light controlled room, you want 12 FL to 16 FL, but a little extra is good to have.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .