Da-lite mat screen cuts... repairs possible? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-26-2013, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I bought a motorized tensioned screen off craigs list for next to nothing, the motor still works and it does deploy, BUT I just found out that there are several 1-2 in horizontal cuts on the screen. IS there any hope of a repair or should I just try to keep the cuts from growing. FYI screen material replacement is not relaly an option unless anyone knows of a way to replace the material and retension the screen.... it is 120x160.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2013, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow34 View Post

Hello all,

I bought a motorized tensioned screen off craigs list for next to nothing, the motor still works and it does deploy, BUT I just found out that there are several 1-2 in horizontal cuts on the screen. IS there any hope of a repair or should I just try to keep the cuts from growing. FYI screen material replacement is not relaly an option unless anyone knows of a way to replace the material and retension the screen.... it is 120x160.

Call Dalite. They will sell you a new roller with the material already on it. I am fairly sure a person that works for Dalite put your screen together so it can be taken apart, fixed and put back together. I would expect they have instructions that will allow you to do this if you want to invest in the new fabric and roller. Keep in mind, you do not have to install the same fabric that is in the case, Dalite has many different fabrics to choose from. Bets bet is to find out what is in that, use it for a while with the cuts and see if it works for your setup. Then figure out what to do. As to the fix, I would use some white gaffers tape on the back and get the pieces as tight as you can.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I guess I will try the tape. The screen material will be waaaay too much from Da-lite for replacement.(est 2500-3000).
Old 08-27-2013, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 140
If the cut is far enough to the side there are 2 other options.
You can mask it out with velvet and magnets like I did prior to updating my room. Could only fit about 80" of image on a 110" screen between the furniture, see this link for pictures and PM me if you want more info.
Masking a 110" screen to 80"

If you can utilize a fixed frame rather than the retractable, build a frame of the proper 16:9 Aspect ratio of a size smaller than where the damage is and cut the screen fabric off the roller to attache to the frame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement