W1070 with 84" screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-01-2013, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

so after what seems like forever of planning and measuring and researching on forums and review sites, I feel i have almost settled on everything.. but the screen.

a few notes about the setup,

while not technically ideal, I decided on buying the new Xbox One but unfortunately our living room TV is a 37 incher, which just doesn't cut tit this time round, so i decided to try and have a projector setup in my bedroom.

took me a while to choose between the HD25 and the w1070, but i finally settled on the w1070 due to it's shorter throw to achieve an 84" image (kind of important because of kinect)

the room isn't that big, at about 10'x13', currently my walls are painted a very light blue but i am planning on repainting a darker colour, and the screen i am planning to use is going to lower in front of my bedroom window, which can be shut using sunblock blinds (these actually do an amazing job of blocking out light almost entirely).

I'm including a photo of this wall where the screen is going to go, (i am going to remove the curtain)

I was first going to buy the Elitescreens Spectrum 84H screen as i found an actual shop which had it ready for sale, where i live that's a big deal. I'm from Malta, where it's hard to find anything, and with screens even harder to find a good online deal where shipping doesn't cost as much (if not more) than the screen itself mad.gif

Anyway, the Electric84H goes for 334EUR here, but seeing as it was my only option i didn't really have a choice.

Now i found this guy on ebay, which has been mentioned here before, Platinum147 and he sells a motorised 84 incher for about 145eur (shipping included) that almost 200eur savings,

so firstly i would like to know if anyone has used these screens and of you are happy with their overall performance?

secondly, he offers 2.5, 1.1, 0.8 gain screens, the electric84H is a 1.1 gain screen, which upon re thinking, could be a it problematic considering how close my w1070 will be to the screen (projector central's calculator states the image brightness will be at about 53fL), i planned on always using the projectors eco mode but even if that means halving the brightness, that's still 26(ish)fL which is still high? (not sure)

is my logic correct here? do you guys think i should go for the electric84H (1.1 gain) or try out platinum's grey screen? are they any good? maybe anyone has any experience with the w1070 and these screens? the main use will be Gaming, and maybe some movies/series, also i quite like 3D and will probably be doing my fair share of that..

thank you for bearing with me through this entire passage, tried to be as short as i could without leaving any important details out (the problem being i'm not sure which details are important and which aren't, hope i covered all of them)

any help/opinion is appreciated smile.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-10-2013, 07:58 AM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Bugeja View Post

Hi guys,

so after what seems like forever of planning and measuring and researching on forums and review sites, I feel i have almost settled on everything.. but the screen.

a few notes about the setup,

while not technically ideal, I decided on buying the new Xbox One but unfortunately our living room TV is a 37 incher, which just doesn't cut tit this time round, so i decided to try and have a projector setup in my bedroom.

took me a while to choose between the HD25 and the w1070, but i finally settled on the w1070 due to it's shorter throw to achieve an 84" image (kind of important because of kinect)

the room isn't that big, at about 10'x13', currently my walls are painted a very light blue but i am planning on repainting a darker colour, and the screen i am planning to use is going to lower in front of my bedroom window, which can be shut using sunblock blinds (these actually do an amazing job of blocking out light almost entirely).

I'm including a photo of this wall where the screen is going to go, (i am going to remove the curtain)

I was first going to buy the Elitescreens Spectrum 84H screen as i found an actual shop which had it ready for sale, where i live that's a big deal. I'm from Malta, where it's hard to find anything, and with screens even harder to find a good online deal where shipping doesn't cost as much (if not more) than the screen itself mad.gif

Anyway, the Electric84H goes for 334EUR here, but seeing as it was my only option i didn't really have a choice.

Now i found this guy on ebay, which has been mentioned here before, Platinum147 and he sells a motorised 84 incher for about 145eur (shipping included) that almost 200eur savings,

so firstly i would like to know if anyone has used these screens and of you are happy with their overall performance?

secondly, he offers 2.5, 1.1, 0.8 gain screens, the electric84H is a 1.1 gain screen, which upon re thinking, could be a it problematic considering how close my w1070 will be to the screen (projector central's calculator states the image brightness will be at about 53fL), i planned on always using the projectors eco mode but even if that means halving the brightness, that's still 26(ish)fL which is still high? (not sure)

is my logic correct here? do you guys think i should go for the electric84H (1.1 gain) or try out platinum's grey screen? are they any good? maybe anyone has any experience with the w1070 and these screens? the main use will be Gaming, and maybe some movies/series, also i quite like 3D and will probably be doing my fair share of that..

thank you for bearing with me through this entire passage, tried to be as short as i could without leaving any important details out (the problem being i'm not sure which details are important and which aren't, hope i covered all of them)

any help/opinion is appreciated smile.gif

I have my w1070 in a light controlled room (basement HT) and have the Elite Sable 100" - 1.1 gain. Really works well, IMHO

Energy RC70 L/R | RC-LCR Center | C-R3 Surrounds | VMINI Bookshelves Surrounds | S12.3 and Dual S10.3 Subs | KRK 10s Sub | Benq w1070 pj | Elite 100" Sable Screen | SONY STR-DN1030| Sony S5100 and S3100 BDPs
post #3 of 8 Old 09-10-2013, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Anything below 100 inch screen should be a nice LED TV. Why take all the headache of screen/projection when you can get a 90 inch sharp LED TV for same price. Just my opinion.

Projection should be used for bigger screens, IMO.
post #4 of 8 Old 09-10-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggymba View Post

Anything below 100 inch screen should be a nice LED TV. Why take all the headache of screen/projection when you can get a 90 inch sharp LED TV for same price. Just my opinion.

One reason is lack of space for a massive non moving 70" flat screen.. so if you choice is a 50" flat screen or an 80" projection screen.. I will take the 80" any day.

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 Old 09-10-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:

The pj costs around $900 and 2-300 for the screen. The 90" LED is how much? Just curious where you can get a 90" LED tv for $1200?

Also, when you have the ability to move this projector to a dedicated ht room it will project up to 200". I compared prices and this benq w1070 at $875 was a no brainer.

Energy RC70 L/R | RC-LCR Center | C-R3 Surrounds | VMINI Bookshelves Surrounds | S12.3 and Dual S10.3 Subs | KRK 10s Sub | Benq w1070 pj | Elite 100" Sable Screen | SONY STR-DN1030| Sony S5100 and S3100 BDPs
post #6 of 8 Old 09-10-2013, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by eah9 View Post

The pj costs around $900 and 2-300 for the screen. The 90" LED is how much? Just curious where you can get a 90" LED tv for $1200?

Also, when you have the ability to move this projector to a dedicated ht room it will project up to 200". I compared prices and this benq w1070 at $875 was a no brainer.

If you're happy with the quality, it's all that matters.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-10-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:

If you're happy with the quality, it's all that matters.

I wasn't even considering a pj but started seeing the prices and reviews on the benq w1070. Quality is amazing and the size makes it even better - folks came over for MNF and were drooling at the pq. Did you mean 70" LED LCD tv? That's a little closer in price range. 90" is several thousand more than this pj setup.

post #8 of 8 Old 09-24-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
i got the benQ for just about 770eur off amazon uk, and the screen cost me about 130eur, so the total setup came to 900eur, doubt i can find an 84" TV at that price..
Reply Screens

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector , Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page