Screen for Sim2 C3Xe? (screen inovations). which one? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-15-2013, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I need to buy a 10ft wide screen for my Sim2. Its a 3 chip dlp putting out 2500 ansi lumens. Using it 1.8 screen width away from pj. Thinking of Screen Inovations (not the black diamond) but they have a Pure white and a Pure gray at 0.85 gain. Should I purchase the gray or do the white? Room is light controlled but not bat cave. These are the specs:

DLP™ Display Technology
2500 ANSI Lumens
1280 x 720 Native Resolution
16:9 Native Aspect Ratio
6800:1 Contrast Ratio

thanks

Jaime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-16-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing or kayaking )
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I'd probably go white, but it sort of depends on what you watch and how you watch ( some lights on, no lights on etc. ). 10' wide is pretty big, and you don't really have that many lumens to play with ( once it's calibrated and you have a couple of hundred hours on the lamp ). Give me a call to discuss more.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #3 of 8 Old 09-16-2013, 10:08 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08-450dually View Post

So I need to buy a 10ft wide screen for my Sim2. Its a 3 chip dlp putting out 2500 ansi lumens. Using it 1.8 screen width away from pj. Thinking of Screen Inovations (not the black diamond) but they have a Pure white and a Pure gray at 0.85 gain. Should I purchase the gray or do the white? Room is light controlled but not bat cave. These are the specs:

DLP™ Display Technology
2500 ANSI Lumens
1280 x 720 Native Resolution
16:9 Native Aspect Ratio
6800:1 Contrast Ratio

thanks

Jaime

I have the Screen Innovations Solar 4K which is 1.3 gain ( actual measured is 1.37 gain) . I am currently using a Sony HW50ES which is 1700 lumens and for 2 D on 9 foot 2.35 this is plenty .
For 3D I only run a 7 foot wide 16:9 CIH. I would say it is good but I would like it a little brighter.
I plugged in your Projector on the same calculator see here : http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sim2-Crystal_35-projection-calculator-pro.htm?add=6291
If you use the same screen as I have you would be about 25% brighter and that is hard to perceive as a difference. In short I think you would be too dim for 3D but ok for everything else. If you went with
a super high gain screen in the 2.5 range you would be 39% brighter.
If 3D is not an issue you will be happy at 1.4 gain using something like my Solar 4K at 1.37 gain. For 3 D you would need to go high power to get the maximum benefit . And the quirk with high gain
screens is that your PJ has to be mounted at the center of the scree height to be effective.
post #4 of 8 Old 09-16-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't use that calculator - the lumens rating are not accurate. It uses the manufacturer's lumen spec's - they are not even close. It says my Lumis Host has 3000 lumens - calibrated, it is more like 1100 at best.

I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
post #5 of 8 Old 09-16-2013, 03:29 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Don't use that calculator - the lumens rating are not accurate. It uses the manufacturer's lumen spec's - they are not even close. It says my Lumis Host has 3000 lumens - calibrated, it is more like 1100 at best.

I figured the same. Well, at least this is done with all manufactures , so the differences though not calibrated are somewhat close.
ALL manufactures should have to post lumens for various scenarios.

Car manufactures do this with gas mileage figures. They post mileage for a car optimized for perfect conditions. Flat roads, lowest highway speed, perfect road surface, flat road, temperature, tires
stripped down car etc.etc,etc. Then when you drive the thing best you will ever get real world is 60% of the published.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-16-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

The differences aren't close - they are all over the place. First, you need to find a trusted review like the ones Art does at Projector Reviews - http://www.projectorreviews.com/

Then you need a good screen gain program that not only shows how many foot lamberts you will get, it should also graph the foot lamberts as the lamp dims with age. Only then will you have an idea how bright a given screen will be.

post #7 of 8 Old 09-16-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is a review of the OP's projector - http://www.projectorreviews.com/sim2/grand-cinema-c3x/performance.php

Calibrated lumens - 1100. On a 120" wide screen with 1.1 gain that would produce 21.54 foot lamberts with a new lamp ar full power. Not too shabby.

post #8 of 8 Old 09-16-2013, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thank you all for your input. I read that write up on the C3X, but my projector is the "e" version which puts out much more lumens. Hence, I question if I should go gray instead of white.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page