Beginner Needs Help Please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-17-2013, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I’ve been reading this forum off and on for about a year and so.

There’s heaps of information to absorb but all it’s left me is confused.

At present, I have a Panasonic PT-AE900E aimed at a pull-down Luma projection screen (which is colored light gray and measures 98" diagonally) and I use the setup to show standard DVDs from the library (domestic funds are tight at the moment). Even though the screen is unfurled only twice every week, there are some minor “waves” in the screen starting to appear.

The living room is approximately 30 ft x 13ft and the distance between projector and screen is 12 ft and, once the curtains are fully drawn, there is barely any light entering the room when movies are shown at night at weekends.

Bearing in mind that funds are extremely limited, ideally, what I’d like is a lightweight screen (which can be lifted or rolled on a stand into position when required) and capable of displaying a picture equal to or better than the existing Luma screen.

What do you suggest?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-18-2013, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackyJacky View Post

Hello,

I’ve been reading this forum off and on for about a year and so.

There’s heaps of information to absorb but all it’s left me is confused.

At present, I have a Panasonic PT-AE900E aimed at a pull-down Luma projection screen (which is colored light gray and measures 98" diagonally) and I use the setup to show standard DVDs from the library (domestic funds are tight at the moment). Even though the screen is unfurled only twice every week, there are some minor “waves” in the screen starting to appear.

The living room is approximately 30 ft x 13ft and the distance between projector and screen is 12 ft and, once the curtains are fully drawn, there is barely any light entering the room when movies are shown at night at weekends.

Bearing in mind that funds are extremely limited, ideally, what I’d like is a lightweight screen (which can be lifted or rolled on a stand into position when required) and capable of displaying a picture equal to or better than the existing Luma screen.

What do you suggest?

Thanks

Have you considered a portable screen? Dalite Picture king is a good choice and can be ordered with any of the many fabrics Dalite offers. Is you projector mounted on the ceiling or on a table and where do you sit when watching in relation to the projector? If it is mounted you will spend a week just getting a portable screen lined up with the projector, on a table mount it will be very fast, did it every night for 3 years..

Also keep in mind, if your room is not painted a dark color with a dark ceiling, it is not light contorted. The reflected light form the white walls and ceiling light up the room and the screen..
post #3 of 4 Old 09-18-2013, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Doug,

The projector is mounted on a stand.

Also, if possible, I'd like to make a screen rather than buy one.

Thanks1
post #4 of 4 Old 09-18-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackyJacky View Post

Doug,

The projector is mounted on a stand.

Also, if possible, I'd like to make a screen rather than buy one.

Thanks1

You should post in the DIY forum as this is for the manufactured screen.. You will get lots of help in the DIY area
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page