Buying a Da-Lite Hi-Power Screen - Was Going With A Fixed Screen, But A Pull Down May Make More Sense - Need Your Advice and Expertise - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-21-2013, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
As the title says, I am about to purchase a Da-Lite Hi-Power screen to upgrade my home theater, replacing an old fixed DIY screen. I suppose I just automatically was going to go with a fixed screen because I had one, and had seen many concerns posted about issues with pull down screens. Or at least more issues with rippling, wrinkles, etc. I spoke to Da-Lite yesterday about a Perm Wall screen, and wanted to know if I could hang it from large eyelet hooks, attached to chains, as I currently have my existing screen mounted. Because my home theater walls are a challenge, I was concerned because I cannot see a way to mount a fixed screen to the wall. The bottom half of the walls are poured concrete, topped with drywall, and the upper half of the walls are six inches inset, and drywall. Da-Lite was very helpful, and said that the only way I could hang a fixed screen, and make it work so that it could be hung, was to get a piece of plywood cut to fit, mount the screen to that, and hang the plywood from the ceiling.

It now occurs that a manual pull down, Model C, might make more sense, in terms of ease of mounting. I could buy the inexpensive Da-Lite extension brackets, and just hang the Model C. And I "think" that, since I would only be pulling down the screen once, and leaving it permanently open, I shouldn't have to worry about wrinkling, ripples, or other concerns usually heard about pull downs?

I can still default to the fixed screen with the plywood mounting if that will give me better performance, but would appreciate your thoughts and expertise on the matter. Thanks.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-21-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Guess it all depends on your DIY carpentry skills.. build a couple of extensions to mount the top of the screen and a couple of dry wall anchors at the bottom.. the screen is light.. no issues in mounting it on drywall... But whatever works for you.. a pull down can be hung, just make sure it perfectly level.

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page