Could use some advice on buying my first screen... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 10-09-2013, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I started using a projector back in 2007 (the 720p Sony AW11, I think) that I always projected onto a white wall in my apartment over the years in different cities. Fast forward to now and I am setting up a modest home theater (or media room may be more precise) in the finished basement of my new house. It has excellent light control (has a few windows but minimal light even during the day).

I'm using a ceiling-mounted PT-AE8000U and will be projecting from about 12' back from where the screen will be mounted. I would prefer to use a tensioned, electric screen but not sure about the various brands, etc. It would be nice to have a white case (can't install in the ceiling for a recessed look). I wouldn't mind trying the VA screen but want it to be white (and don't really want to paint the cover, although that's fairly easy enough to do I guess). I would like to keep the price around $2000 or below.

Few questions:

1. Brands that would be good choices given what I'm looking for and my budget (around $2k)? I'm thinking of Da-Lite but not sure of any other comparable brands.

2. Screen type. With good light control and using a PT-AE8000U, which supposedly has decent contrast, should I go for a white screen or a higher contrast, gray screen? For Da-Lite, it would be between "Da Mat" and "Da Mat HC."

3. Anything else I should consider?

Thanks in advance for any assistance. I've been 'out of the game" for a few years (sold my Sony PJ two years ago) so I'm excited to get it going again.
Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page