Beginner needs help choosing a screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-09-2013, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I've been tasked with helping my brother-in-law choose components for a basement home theater build he is embarking upon. We are looking to get a nice projector and 5.1 setup going. I did some research and I think we've settled on this projector:

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-W1070-1080P-Theater-Projector/dp/B00A2T6X0K

Given that, I'm really lost when it comes to a screen. There is probably only going to be one row of seating (Big modular sectional), which will be approximately 13-15' from the screen. There is going to be almost no ambient light, as it will be in a basement.

That being said, I need help choosing a screen size and model. I'm thinking somewhere between 108"-120" would be reasonable, I feel like going bigger might tax that projector in terms of brightness, as well as being a bit overwhelming from the viewing distance we are working with. Also, I think a fixed screen will work best, as there is no need to motorize it etc. Also, if there is a good option in the $300 range, even better.

Please feel free to correct me or steer me in the right direction. He's leaning on me to help him out and this is one area I have very little knowledge. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I would go for a fixed screen if possible. It would be best to throw the image on a wall or sheet to help you determine how big of a screen you can handle.

I have a w1070 and currently throwing the image on a bed sheet to get an idea of what size of screen I like. I sit 12' away and am probably going to get a 120" screen.

How far away is the w1070 from the wall you will be projecting to?
post #3 of 9 Old 10-10-2013, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

It's going to be ceiling mounted 12' from the wall. Based on the BenQ calculator, my options for size are 111"-144".
post #4 of 9 Old 10-20-2013, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Any thoughts folks?
post #5 of 9 Old 10-21-2013, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

I recently got an Elunevision Reference 4K Tab-Tension 120" screen for my W1070. My projector is 13.5' away from the screen and I sit 12' away from it. I am glad I went with 120" as I was debating between a 120" and a 106".

I would recommend throwing the image onto a wall or sheet to get an idea of what size screen to get. This is what I did for about a month and that was how I settled on getting a 120"

I would look at elite, monoprice or visual apex or jamestown for screens. I am not too familiar with all of the fixed screens but you can also go the DIY route.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-30-2013, 11:09 AM
a|F

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee05 View Post

I recently got an Elunevision Reference 4K Tab-Tension 120" screen for my W1070. My projector is 13.5' away from the screen and I sit 12' away from it. I am glad I went with 120" as I was debating between a 120" and a 106".

I would recommend throwing the image onto a wall or sheet to get an idea of what size screen to get. This is what I did for about a month and that was how I settled on getting a 120"

I would look at elite, monoprice or visual apex or jamestown for screens. I am not too familiar with all of the fixed screens but you can also go the DIY route.

How do you like the picture on the 4k screen?
post #7 of 9 Old 10-30-2013, 05:00 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by infin|ty View Post

Any thoughts folks?
I'm getting my first projector in a few weeks, when we move into our house. It's going into a room dedicated to HT use, and what I'm going to do is what utee05 suggested, which is to project the picture onto the wall for a while to see what I'm comfortable with. My inclination at this point is a fixed screen of 120" with a 1.1 gain. It's this screen off of Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Ticket-HDTV-16-Projector/dp/B00CYLOTPK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2AU09QKFKA23D&coliid=I2GR7SPV2W1DBZ or something similar from a site vendor.

But at first I'm going to do the suggested project it on the wall and sit where I plan to sit, just to make sure the lighting is going to be O.K., and the size is comfortable.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-30-2013, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Good luck with your setup. It may take you a bit to get used to the larger screen size. It took me a while to but now I really can't see a movie anywhere else.

@a|F I really like the image I get on my 4K screen. It was a huge jump from my bed sheet smile.gif I really don't have anything else to compare to but I am very pleased and there aren't any wrinkles or anything. I am still using it more and breaking in my projector. I do not think I have hit 100hrs yet on my w1070.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-04-2013, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I agree your best bet is to save the screen for last. I am in the middle of building a media room in the basement and I've decided to not worry about the screen just yet. I plan to throw the image on the wall for a bit at first and play around with size and res before commiting to a screen.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page