acoustically transparent screens - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-12-2013, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i'm looking to upgrade my projector (benq w7000) and screen (monoprice white 106" 16x9) screen later this year. the projector will most likely be either the jvc rs4910u or the rs57u. i'm looking to move into an acoustically transparent screen, scope format, at about 140". the method to fill the scope will most likely start off as lens memory zooming, but i'm not opposed to adding a lens later if needed. i'd just like to avoid the extra cost if possible. the room has very little to no ambient light, the little bit that might come in now and then is from the projector end of the room. 2/3 of the room from the screen out is black/darkened. i'll be rearranging the seating from 3 rows down to 2, with the first at 8' and the second (most likely main) at about 12'.

so far, i've received and tested 3 samples. i have the elune vision 4K AT, falcon screens AT, and seymour center stage XD. i have all 3 samples side by side attached to my screen with magnets and backed with black construction paper. to my eyes, all 3 seem noticeably sharper than my screen. elune is quite a bit dimmer than mine, the falcon seems about on par, and the xd is ever so slightly brighter. colors looks best on the falcon and the xd, probably since they don't suffer so much in the brightness area. i can't see weave texture on any of them, but it might be hard to on such small samples.

so i'm looking for any advice/tips/suggestions/anything else on what i should be looking at, avoiding, or thinking about. i'd probably like something that'll let me keep as much brightness as possible, since the jvc's don't seem to be among the brightest out there, but i've not seen one in person. avoiding visible texture is also important. i realize 8' is probably close for such a large size and i could probably bump each row back about another 2', but i'd like to keep them at those distances if possible. i'm open to hearing anything you guys/gals might have for me, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-13-2013, 07:56 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingmunkey View Post

i'm looking to upgrade my projector (benq w7000) and screen (monoprice white 106" 16x9) screen later this year. the projector will most likely be either the jvc rs4910u or the rs57u. i'm looking to move into an acoustically transparent screen, scope format, at about 140". the method to fill the scope will most likely start off as lens memory zooming, but i'm not opposed to adding a lens later if needed. i'd just like to avoid the extra cost if possible. the room has very little to no ambient light, the little bit that might come in now and then is from the projector end of the room. 2/3 of the room from the screen out is black/darkened. i'll be rearranging the seating from 3 rows down to 2, with the first at 8' and the second (most likely main) at about 12'.

so far, i've received and tested 3 samples. i have the elune vision 4K AT, falcon screens AT, and seymour center stage XD. i have all 3 samples side by side attached to my screen with magnets and backed with black construction paper. to my eyes, all 3 seem noticeably sharper than my screen. elune is quite a bit dimmer than mine, the falcon seems about on par, and the xd is ever so slightly brighter. colors looks best on the falcon and the xd, probably since they don't suffer so much in the brightness area. i can't see weave texture on any of them, but it might be hard to on such small samples.

so i'm looking for any advice/tips/suggestions/anything else on what i should be looking at, avoiding, or thinking about. i'd probably like something that'll let me keep as much brightness as possible, since the jvc's don't seem to be among the brightest out there, but i've not seen one in person. avoiding visible texture is also important. i realize 8' is probably close for such a large size and i could probably bump each row back about another 2', but i'd like to keep them at those distances if possible. i'm open to hearing anything you guys/gals might have for me, thanks!

The one thing that sticks out to me is the viewing distance of 8ft, In my space i sit a little over 11ft back from a 120" scope screen. I have heard that sitting close on such a large screen some people actually feel a little motion sickness during high action or fast moving scenes.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-14-2013, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_hs10 View Post

I think you will know your choice when you check out the prices on all three. I have the the same samples as you. and end up with the falcon. if you can't see the weave on any of them. try watching something bright like clouds, skies, etc.... you will see one

i tested a lot with "art of flight" since there's a ton of white in there. i really couldn't notice the pattern, even inside of 8'. but since they're only letter sized samples (except elune, it looks like michael j fox cut it), i don't know how much worse it'll be in a full size screen. right now i'm leaning towards the xd only because it seems to be a tad bit brighter, but the falcon is a very close 2nd.
post #4 of 9 Old 10-15-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Put on a full white image (100%) and check. I have the Centerstage XD and have been very happy with the look of the material so far.

B.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-17-2013, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
I would stay away from the xd material if you're sitting at 8'. 12' is right at the boundary of seeing and not seeing the weave (for me). I can't at twelve but I can at eleven, my son can see it at twelve.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-19-2013, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Sitting that close, you may want to look at the Screen Excellence EN 4K as well. It hasa lower gain than the others but is a very fine material and was used by several companies at Cedia.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-19-2013, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone know off hand if the SE division of Seymour offers samples or should I try to find a local dealer to see it?
post #8 of 9 Old 10-19-2013, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Anyone know off hand if the SE division of Seymour offers samples or should I try to find a local dealer to see it?

I would think so. Call Chris on Monday. They were giving them out at Cedia. 8.5 X 11
post #9 of 9 Old 02-09-2014, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

Did you ever get a sample? What did you decide to go with?

Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page