Looking for (Australian) projector screen advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-22-2013, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi AVS community,

I am looking for some advice on what kind of projector screen to purchase. I'd especially like to hear from other Aussies who can recommend local brands.

So far we've decided on a 130" (16:9) fixed screen. Price range undecided. But we do want something local due to customs charges and hassles to ship from overseas.

I was originally looking at an LP Mogan screen as I thought(???) they were a more "premium" option. But looking at their website, I see that there are many different screen surface options. Does anyone know if the most expensive surface actually produces better looking images?

See here: http://www.lpmorgan.com.au/learning_centre.html#ScreenMaterials

What about the other brands? Does anyone have any input? So far I've heard of Screen Technics, RevTek (cheapest as far as I know) and Evo screens. (The Evo screens would be my second choice)

Any input and advice would be GREAT! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-23-2013, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey in the same boat but I need electric screen I was at harveys yesterday and they had a tauris pull down screen next to a screen technics fixed frame in the middle and a tauris fixed frame next to that. This was in a room with curtins so was dark and to be honest the pull down cheap screen looked the best even when the sales drone walked in and commented on the cheap pull down screen with the cheapest projector the screen technics was $1900 for 115'' and it was running the best projector in store a Epson 8100. Anyway I have know idea what to buy now after what I saw yesterday might just grab a elite and see. cheers
post #3 of 8 Old 10-23-2013, 07:38 PM

In the same position also. Aussie too. Saw the Tauris in HN but no idea what they're like as the sales staff couldn't organise a dark environment for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 now Free
post #4 of 8 Old 10-23-2013, 07:42 PM

Uncertain on motorised or fixed yet also. Need motorised but probably need to go tensioned and they're a bit pricy. Would go fixed to save money.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 now Free
post #5 of 8 Old 10-30-2013, 03:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdot1111 View Post

Hi AVS community,

I am looking for some advice on what kind of projector screen to purchase. I'd especially like to hear from other Aussies who can recommend local brands.

So far we've decided on a 130" (16:9) fixed screen. Price range undecided. But we do want something local due to customs charges and hassles to ship from overseas.

I was originally looking at an LP Mogan screen as I thought(???) they were a more "premium" option. But looking at their website, I see that there are many different screen surface options. Does anyone know if the most expensive surface actually produces better looking images?

See here: http://www.lpmorgan.com.au/learning_centre.html#ScreenMaterials

What about the other brands? Does anyone have any input? So far I've heard of Screen Technics, RevTek (cheapest as far as I know) and Evo screens. (The Evo screens would be my second choice)

Any input and advice would be GREAT! Thanks!

Screen Technics are very nice and I have seen them several times, the Evo material is also really good (possibly better hard to say) from what I have seen though my knowledge there is limited as I have yet to see one in a full screen and have only seen samples. The customer support with the Evo material thus far has simply been exemplary though. I personally think I am going to go with the evo. I just need to confirm what screen size I will want at my new place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-25-2014, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
How did you guys all go?

I am looking at a 120" in Ceiling motorised screen.

Have narrowed it down to 2.

Grandview In Ceiling Tab tensioned 16:9

http://www.grandviewscreens.com.au/products/smart-combo-tab-tensioned-screen.html

Screen Technics 2:35 with side masking.

http://www.screentechnics.com.au/screen-technics-products/view-product.php?v=123
post #7 of 8 Old 04-26-2014, 08:51 PM

Liked: 10
I have a Stewart Firehawk G3 in an electric drop down with tab tensioning. I'm very happy with it after several years of use. The screen material is very good and the motors and tab tensioning system still work perfectly after several years.

I've seen Screen Technics, Grandview and LP Morgan. They've all been pretty good but only in completely light controlled situations. I haven't seen any grey material from these companies that is close to the capabilities of Firehawk for dealing with ambient light.

Richard Thomas
post #8 of 8 Old 04-26-2014, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Thanks Richard,

I have now decided to get a Stewart Screen and will buy it and get it shipped over from the USA as I told you via PM today.

Just drawing the outline of the 1.78:1 masked screen and also the 2.35:1 on the wall (as it hasn't been painted as yet to sit back and decide which way I go.

The 1.78:1 Horizontal screen is fairly high to hide the top and bottom motors etc but will give me a bigger TV viewing experience but the 2.35:1 of course is very low and will give me a better movie experience but smaller TV viewing etc.....and it is $7k cheaper. I am going to put motorised curtains in front of the screen regardless (I have a 2yr old daughter) so I can use them for masking on the 2.35:1 if I go this way.

I'm not fussed with the money really though as long as I get what I want etc. I wouldn't choose the 2.35:1 screen because it's cheaper.

My viewing will be slightly more TV (sport's like F1 and the V8 Supercars) than watching movies so I am still stuck on the decision. We would be lucky to watch 1 movie a month currently but I do realise that will increase when this room is up and running but will the novelty wear off? Who knows... and once I have purchased a screen then I don't really want to be trying to sell it and getting the other one.

Craig
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page