Do I really need to spend loooooooads! on a screen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-01-2013, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I never try and cut corners and always seem to max my budget. I own a Optoma HD87 projector. I plan to install this in my Bedroom and can have a screen up to 8ft in length. I might go 2.35.1 and use the NSL stretch feature of my lumagen to fill my screen.

There are projector reviews! all over the internet! and finding a decent deal or suitable projector is quiet easy compared to the complications of choosing a screen

I plan to paint my wall dark black to help with contrast + add a extra 6" velvet border around the screen..... Am I right in thinking because I am doing this, screens like Draper React2 or other expensive gray screens will be overkill!!?

I have been looking at these mid-entry screen, but happy to pay more as a screen is for life and want to get it right first time! smile.gif

I would really love a texture free screen surface that will make good use of my DLP sharpness and POP! - Please help!

AMLETO 96 Fixed Frame Projection Ultra Widescreen - Seems decent and I viewed it in their demo room and looked great but my last screen cost £50 ($70) so anything would be better £499
http://www.royjowetthomecinema.co.uk/amleto-96-fixed-frame-projection-ultra-widescreen.html

Elite Screens SableFrame ER96WH1-WIDE Projection Screen £300
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Elite-Screens-SableFrame-ER96WH1-WIDE-Projection-Screen/7974650/product.html?refccid=KGCWQRRZRMGJKZ2HCPYLEBICCY&searchidx=7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-01-2013, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Contact the manufactures of the screens and ask them for a sample pack of their available screen material. It should be free but if the will provide larger samples at a minimal cost, do that. The typical samples are less than a foot square but you can compare over all brightness between samples as well as screen texture and presents of sparklies. For a Dark room with Dark walls and ceiling around the screen a gray screen or other high contrast type is not needed. In a back hole a white screen is what you want.. That said every environment is different and what works in one persons room may not work in yours so get the samples and go from there.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-03-2013, 03:49 AM

Liked: 10

I had no idea how important a screen was to the picture.  Then I upgraded my $700 106" Elite screen to a 115" BlackDiamond Zero Edge. Holy M@%#R F-ING Sh*…..  it makes an enormous difference.  I'm shooting an Epson 5020UB from 14 ft in a room that I can get COMPLETELY DARK.

If you've gone all out on your setup, don't skimp on the screen.

-dave

post #4 of 14 Old 11-03-2013, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by groBschizer View Post

I had no idea how important a screen was to the picture.  Then I upgraded my $700 106" Elite screen to a 115" BlackDiamond Zero Edge. Holy M@%#R F-ING Sh*…..  it makes an enormous difference.  I'm shooting an Epson 5020UB from 14 ft in a room that I can get COMPLETELY DARK.

If you've gone all out on your setup, don't skimp on the screen.

-dave

I absolutely love your rating system, it definitely shows the product made a substantial difference . A rating of "great", or " fantastic" doesn't really inspire me and " mehh" is even less inspiring. But when the reaction to the ne product is " Holy M2%#r F-ing Sh*..." I am certainly
convinced the product made a big impact and was certainly worth the money. Maybe you are just talking a language I can relate too....bring it on!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
post #5 of 14 Old 11-07-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
I would really love a texture free screen surface that will make good use of my DLP sharpness and POP! - Please help!

I'd recommend a Stewart Cima Neve 1.1 screen. I own one, and have a DLP projector. This screen material provides an outstanding picture with screen texture that is so minimal it is indistinguishable from film grain. I just love it.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #6 of 14 Old 11-07-2013, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieuk147 View Post

I have been looking at these mid-entry screen, but happy to pay more as a screen is for life and want to get it right first time! smile.gif

I built my first screen with 2x2s and stretched black out cloth as a temporary solution. Then I ordered all sorts of screen samples. The difference between my homemade screen and matte white 1.0 gain "screen material" was indistinguishable. In the end the only real difference maker for me was the Firehawk, which made a huge difference with any amount of ambient light. They wanted well over 2,000 for a fixed frame 110" screen about 8 years ago. I ended up buying just the screen material and stretching it over my existing screen myself for $600.

It was worth it to me to get that material, but I never would have been sure without getting all of those samples. AVScience recently sent me a new Firehawk screen sample, and I *think* you can get a pack of samples directly from Da-Lite. You may find it's worth it to you for the impact of a Firehawk or High Power, but I don't see how you'll know without some samples. Of course, if your room is really dark and your projector bright enough, then you probably just need something white and not wrinkled smile.gif. Good Luck!

MM
post #7 of 14 Old 11-07-2013, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
You don't have to spends 'loads' on a screen and can diy a more then usable screen for under $40ish. However the gains of a nice screen can not be understated.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-08-2013, 11:05 PM

Liked: 22
Only if you're buying an ambient light rejecting screen do you need to pay a lot. The DNP is the best for that and are pretty expensive. Otherwise in a darkened room, I'd just paint a screen and be done with it. White screen is a white screen IMO. I had no issues using my white wall back in the day.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-11-2013, 01:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 58
My room is 100% light controlled with dark gray walls and ceiling and black carpet so a dark room. I recently painted the wall with some local Theatre paint but it's really sparkly, in bright scenes it's pretty distracting. Also, it has a yellowish hue to it, I don't know if that's normal. I just want something that's bright and smooth and starting to think painting the wall won't give me that. I have a JVC RS46 at a 15.5' throw for a 118" scope and 110" 16:9. What are my options? Like the OP I too am not looking to spend loads on a screen if it comes to that and a DIY screen would preferably be a last option.

Thanks.

Also, I would need a custom size so 9' wide by 54" tall.

post #10 of 14 Old 11-11-2013, 01:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

My room is 100% light controlled with dark gray walls and ceiling and black carpet so a dark room. I recently painted the wall with some local Theatre paint but it's really sparkly, in bright scenes it's pretty distracting. Also, it has a yellowish hue to it, I don't know if that's normal. I just want something that's bright and smooth and starting to think painting the wall won't give me that. I have a JVC RS46 at a 15.5' throw for a 118" scope and 110" 16:9. What are my options? Like the OP I too am not looking to spend loads on a screen if it comes to that and a DIY screen would preferably be a last option.

Thanks.

A screen is what you want. For two screens like that you would have to go with one fixed and one pull down (or preferably tension tab and motorized). What is your budget?
post #11 of 14 Old 11-11-2013, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd rather not have a pulldown as I'm close enough to the screen as it is and cannot move further back. I really dislike the sparkles in the paint. Is this common in all theatre paints?

post #12 of 14 Old 11-11-2013, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'd rather not have a pulldown as I'm close enough to the screen as it is and cannot move further back. I really dislike the sparkles in the paint. Is this common in all theatre paints?

I cannot say, the same effect with a screen tends to occur with high gain screens. Image uniformity will never be very good with a wall but the decision is ultimately up to you.
post #13 of 14 Old 11-11-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I almost liked the image better when it was just on a normal drywall primed wall instead of the theatre paint...

post #14 of 14 Old 11-11-2013, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I almost liked the image better when it was just on a normal drywall primed wall instead of the theatre paint...

Maybe contact some screen manufacturers and ask for samples and go from there.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page