What Screen do you recommend? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-06-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Hello all, 

I'm building a new home with a dedicated home theater (my attic).  There are no windows.  The room size is 18 ft x 22 ft.  My equipment list:

AV Receiver:  Onkyo TX-NR818

BlueRay:  OPPO DBP103

3D Projector:  Panasonic PT-AE8000U

Here are the projector's specs from the website:

Brightness:  2,400 lumens
Contrast Ratio:  500,000:1 (full on/full off)
Lens:  Powered zoom/focus lenses (1.35:1–2.70:1), F 1.9–3.2, f 22.4–44.8 mm
Resolution:  1,920 × 1,080 pixels

I have room for a 100 inch 16:9 letterbox screen.  I'm trying to decide which screen would pair nicely with this projector.  With all of the above equipment, I'm only left with about $1000 or less for a screen.  I'm looking for the best possible 2D and 3D viewing.  Any suggestions?

I appreciate any input.

Tom.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Are you looking for a fixed frame? These are normally cheaper than their motorized tensioned counterparts.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-07-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKarelis View Post

Hello all, 

I'm building a new home with a dedicated home theater (my attic).  There are no windows.  The room size is 18 ft x 22 ft.  My equipment list:

I have room for a 100 inch 16:9 letterbox screen.  I'm trying to decide which screen would pair nicely with this projector.  With all of the above equipment, I'm only left with about $1000 or less for a screen.  I'm looking for the best possible 2D and 3D viewing.  Any suggestions?

I appreciate any input.
Tom.

Sent you a PM. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-07-2013, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

@utee05 Yes, I'm looking for a fixed frame screen and I don't need an acoustically transparent screen either.  I was looking at the AccuScreen Deluxe from Draper today in a matte white or maybe a Monoprice in their HD gray fabric.  Any thing I should move to or avoid?

Thanks, 

Tom

post #5 of 8 Old 11-07-2013, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKarelis View Post

Hello all, 

I appreciate any input.
Tom.

You wouldn't really want a high gain screen for that. Beyond that I can't help you all that much as the screen brands typically available near your budget are catered to by different companies where I live.

post #6 of 8 Old 11-08-2013, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

I really do not have any examples since I have a motorized tensioned elunevision screen. I had heard good things about the monoprice screens for fixed frame but do not have much more info.

What is your budget?
post #7 of 8 Old 11-08-2013, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

While I have enjoyed a home theater in a previous house, this is my first attempt all by myself.  My previous house had the theater already in place when I moved in.  I loved it, but I kept on seeing thing I would have done different.  This is my little project/man cave.  LOL.  I'm trying to do my homework and chase after all the details.  It has really been fun, and I'm beside myself waiting for it to be done so I can sit back and enjoy.  I just don't want to fart the whole thing up in the end with a screen that could/should have been better.

I know that I'm the one who will be watching the screen so ultimately it is up to me.  But, I see fixed frame screens for $2K or even $3K.  That's a little much for me.  I was trying to stay under $1000 if I could.  I'm looking for the best screen I can get for my price point.

My projector is pretty bright (2400 lumens) and I have a good contrast ratio (1:500K) so I don't need a screen with much gain, but how much?  Should I be looking for a gray screen or matte white?  Ambient light will be controlled.

Thanks

post #8 of 8 Old 11-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

I would probably look at a 1.0 gain white matte. This is what I have for my w1070 and that is supposed to be very bright. I am just going off what I have so don't know more than that and basing off of what others would get for their w1070.

Have you seen the ae8000u owners thread to see what screens they like with their projector? That would be a good start. I don't think you need to spend 1K though you can easily spend that much on a screen.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page