Which screen manufacturers sell raw screen material? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 11-12-2013, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I figured some experts here might know the answer to this question. I started with Carada re: their Brilliant White and the answer was "no" they won't sell it as raw material (lord knows why) so I'm curious who will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 11-15-2013, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

So am I, besides the obvious Carl's Place.  I like the idea of building my own frame for a custom install, but would prefer to just use a standard screen material.

post #3 of 28 Old 11-17-2013, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It was 7 years ago, but I got a quote from AVScience for some Stewart Firehawk material, and ultimately bought from integrityhometheater. Made my own 110" Firehawk screen for less than half the cost of a Stewart fixed frame. I'm not sure if times have changed or not, but it was obvious back then either. I just had to ask screen dealers.

MM
post #4 of 28 Old 11-25-2013, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just inquired with AVScience and they said Stewart would sell screen material without a frame. I was asking about firehawk specifically. It sounded like you could have additional details added like making it AT or adding snaps. They did mention they would only warranty a screen in a Stewart frame.
post #5 of 28 Old 11-25-2013, 04:05 PM

Liked: 10

Thanks, that's good to know in the future.  Ultimately I'm going to end up needing a retractable screen now.  My plan changed after re-arranging the room.  But I would actually prefer a fixed frame, so sometime down the line if the layout changes to favor a fixed frame, it will be good to know that.

post #6 of 28 Old 12-09-2013, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
So our choices for 'real' screen material on DIY frames comes down to Stewart and Carl's? And the stuff on ebay that looks like Carl's Flexwhite in the images?
post #7 of 28 Old 12-09-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Seymour AV sells raw material.
post #8 of 28 Old 12-09-2013, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post

Seymour AV sells raw material.

Thanks for that. They sell Glacier White 1.3 material, but you have to contact them to buy it: http://www.seymourav.com/store.asp

Here's the link to Carl's: http://www.carlofet.com/projector-screen-material.html

And AVScience can get you Stewart material, but you have to call: http://shop.avscience.com/Projection-Screens_c_49.html

This ebay seller has a material that strongly resembles Carl's flexwhite: http://stores.ebay.com/buildyourownprojectionscreencom/

Anything else?
post #9 of 28 Old 12-12-2013, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

I just got a quote from AV Science on the Stewart Studio Tek 130. It's even more expensive than I thought it would be. Basically, it's half the cost of what one of their screens would be in any given size.

I'm going to check out a sample of the Glacier White, and I have a sample of Carl's Flex White on the way. I also have a screen's worth of ebay material, I'm betting it's identical to Carl's. We shall see.
post #10 of 28 Old 12-13-2013, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Projector People sells two Da-Lite products, Da-Mat and HC Cinemavision:

http://www.projectorpeople.com/screens/material.asp
post #11 of 28 Old 12-13-2013, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_STL View Post

I also have a screen's worth of ebay material, I'm betting it's identical to Carl's. We shall see.

Ok, now I bet it's not. I still don't have the Carl's sample, but the ebay material that I got from user 217007 is his matte white material, which is a rubberized fiberglass. I'm not a fan. It has a very visible texture, and moire issues.

So far, the best screen material I have owned is what came on my Jamestown screen. Does anyone know what he uses?
post #12 of 28 Old 12-14-2013, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

James Millard at Jamestown Home Theater Screen does sell his screen material. It's a rubberized canvas-like material with a black back side and fine texture. My subjective eyeball judgement is that it has a little over 1.0 gain, and no hotspotting or visual artifacts of any kind. Seems pretty color neutral as compared to the ebay screen material, and a piece of copier paper. It has a little stretch, but not very much. It's also pretty flexible and handleable, meaning that you're not easily going to put permanent creases in it just by letting it fold on itself.

http://www.jamestownhometheaterscreen.com/index.html
post #13 of 28 Old 12-16-2013, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

I got a sample of the GlacierWhite 1.3 from Seymour AV. It's okay, but it has a bit of a blue tint, and I think the 1.3 rating is unrealistic. It's really barely brighter than the 1.0 material I have.
post #14 of 28 Old 12-28-2013, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

I got some of the Carl's Flexwhite material, and installed it in my frame. The flexwhite looks similar to a PVC material sold my 217007 on ebay. It's very stretchy, and has almost no texture. It has a very slight blue cast, not a deal breaker to me. The problem is that it does have noticeable vertical banding when installed under tension. They only seem to be in the middle of the screen, and they are very view angle dependent. If I stand up, the bands are not visible. If I sit in my seat, they are visible.

I guess I'm pretty picky when it comes to screen material. I have this idea that all I should see is the picture that is projected, accurately reflected by the screen. The Jamestown material still beats anything I have auditioned.

One starts to suspect that people who think the vinyl screens look just fine, have never seen any other screen.
post #15 of 28 Old 01-03-2014, 04:37 AM
Advanced Member

Definitely worth noting that Carl's was willing to make it right with a partial refund of my screen material cost. Great customer service from Carl's.
post #16 of 28 Old 01-03-2014, 01:29 PM

Liked: 13
Was the Jamestown material much better than Carl's? What did you like or not like about it.

I am also looking for just the material for my screen build. I emailed AVS about Stewart Filmscreen material. I am on the fence, is it really worth spending extra for a Stewart Filmscreen material or is there something out there very similar for much cheaper.
post #17 of 28 Old 01-03-2014, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindino08 View Post

Was the Jamestown material much better than Carl's? What did you like or not like about it.

"I got some of the Carl's Flexwhite material, and installed it in my frame. The flexwhite looks similar to a PVC material sold my 217007 on ebay. It's very stretchy, and has almost no texture. It has a very slight blue cast, not a deal breaker to me. The problem is that it does have noticeable vertical banding when installed under tension. They only seem to be in the middle of the screen, and they are very view angle dependent. If I stand up, the bands are not visible. If I sit in my seat, they are visible."

If it weren't for the vertical banding issue, it would be okay. I suspect that this issue is present to a greater or lesser degree in most 2 layer vinyl material, after having seen two different kinds of vinyl material that both showed this issue. I haven't seen Carl's blackout cloth. The Jamestown material is very color neutral, has a little gain (1.1 by my unscientific guess), and a very smooth texture, plus it's easy to handle and install. I like the way it looks, more than anything else I've tried.

So far, the biggest downside to the Jamestown is, I ordered on 12/16, and I have no idea when he'll actually ship it. There's a big thread on how long people have waited to get screens from him. I was hoping that getting some material cut and shipped would be faster for him.
Quote:

I am also looking for just the material for my screen build. I emailed AVS about Stewart Filmscreen material. I am on the fence, is it really worth spending extra for a Stewart Filmscreen material or is there something out there very similar for much cheaper.

A sample would be your best bet, just keep in mind with Stewart, for a 110" screen you are looking at close to a grand just for screen material. But if you get a sample and it blows away anything else you've seen, there's your answer.
post #18 of 28 Old 01-06-2014, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
http://www.bigscreencenter.com/product-p/79952.htm

they seem to have plenty of popular materials available
post #19 of 28 Old 01-06-2014, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post

http://www.bigscreencenter.com/product-p/79952.htm

they seem to have plenty of popular materials available

They've got the full Da-Lite line, anyway. Thanks for that!
post #20 of 28 Old 01-08-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Have you been able to order screen material from Jamestown?

I sent them an email couple days ago and still have yet to hear from them. Are they typically this slow with inquiries?
post #21 of 28 Old 01-08-2014, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

Have you been able to order screen material from Jamestown?

I sent them an email couple days ago and still have yet to hear from them. Are they typically this slow with inquiries?

I ordered and paid for it, but I've heard nothing from him since 12/16/13.

Here's my theory about Jamestown, and this is just my guess. He runs a cabinetry business. On the side, when he has time, he makes screens. He may have some help, but if he's busy, or trying to have a life, orders don't go out. I think he's just overwhelmed, and it's his second job.
post #22 of 28 Old 01-08-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

I ordered and paid for it, but I've heard nothing from him since 12/16/13.

Here's my theory about Jamestown, and this is just my guess. The runs a cabinetry business. On the side, when he has time, he makes screens. He may have some help, but if he's busy, or trying to have a life, orders don't go out. I think he's just overwhelmed, and it's his second job.

Hmm...that's interesting. If that's true, and a BIG if btw, I wonder where he sourced the screen materials.
post #23 of 28 Old 01-09-2014, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

They've got the full Da-Lite line, anyway. Thanks for that!

No problem, I'm looking into raw materials as well. Someone did mention though that it is probably cheaper to buy any given material in a manual pull down case, cheaper than the fabric by itself. May have some kind of QC guarantee that you probably would not get
with the raw material alone. Worth a look see, could always then turn the manual pull down into a masking screen. wink.gif
post #24 of 28 Old 01-09-2014, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post

No problem, I'm looking into raw materials as well. Someone did mention though that it is probably cheaper to buy any given material in a manual pull down case, cheaper than the fabric by itself. May have some kind of QC guarantee that you probably would not get
with the raw material alone. Worth a look see, could always then turn the manual pull down into a masking screen. wink.gif

I've definitely considered going that route, if neither of my latest material purchases work out.
post #25 of 28 Old 01-09-2014, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

My latest roll of material from ebay seller yescomusa got here in spite of having the shipping tube broken open and going through SNOWMAGEDDON. It's very promising. It's a vinyl infused fabric, black on the back. The front has a finely pebbled texture that looks like this closeup of Cinemawhite, and by the way, here is where you can buy some Cinemawhite raw screen material: http://www.projectorscreenstore.com/Projector-Screen-Replacement-Surfaces/Elite-Screens-Suface-Material-for-ezFrame-Screen-ZR120WV-M-40113.html
post #26 of 28 Old 01-13-2014, 12:03 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Thanks for that. They sell Glacier White 1.3 material, but you have to contact them to buy it: http://www.seymourav.com/store.asp

Here's the link to Carl's: http://www.carlofet.com/projector-screen-material.html

And AVScience can get you Stewart material, but you have to call: http://shop.avscience.com/Projection-Screens_c_49.html

This ebay seller has a material that strongly resembles Carl's flexwhite: http://stores.ebay.com/buildyourownprojectionscreencom/

Anything else?

I emailed and called AVS and they said Stewart Filmscreen does not sell just screen material. Who did you talk to or are they just not allowing this anymore?
post #27 of 28 Old 01-13-2014, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I emailed and called AVS and they said Stewart Filmscreen does not sell just screen material. Who did you talk to or are they just not allowing this anymore?

Stewart might have changed their policy then. When I spoke to AVS, they got me a quote. Stewart really doesn't want to be in the DIY market though, clearly.
post #28 of 28 Old 01-18-2014, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

The Yescomusa ebay material is very good. I have it installed now. It has a little bit of visible texture in the middle of the viewing area on very light scenes, which most people wouldn't notice.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page