Need help selecting screen with Epson 5020ub - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-17-2013, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm completely new to home theater projectors and screens, and I really need help selecting my screen. I was looking at the elite screens ezframe 100" in white. Why I'm not sure about that is my basement, where the projector is going, has no windows but I would like to be able to use it while the lights are on and not having it being washed out. I will update this once I get my light meter and let you know what the fc are. So essentially I need help deciding between a white or grey screen and what brand to go with. I also know the 5020 is a bright projector, so I don't know how that may help or hurt. My budget is around $500 I would really appreciate anybody who has experience help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-25-2013, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Avoiding washout with any lights on will require screens that go well above $500. The names you'll primarily see are Stewart Firehawk, Screen Innovations Black Diamond, and Dalite High Power. I'm sure there's others, but those are the ones you'll see a lot. There's also the DIY route. There's lots of paint formulas that are supposed to perform quite well. It does require being a bit handy and practiced at spraying. I did a hybrid DIY about 6 years ago. I bought raw firehawk screen material, some dimensional lumber, MDF, a few brackets, some velvet, and used an upholstery stapler, screw driver, table saw, glue, biscuit joiner, spray adhesive, and instruction off the internet to create my own 110" firehawk screen with beveled velvet wrapped border. Coolest thing I ever made. It still ran me about $850 of which more than 75% was the cost of screen material. To be honest, I actually built this with Black Out cloth first until I could afford the screen material. It made me appreciate the jump up in quality as well. That was less than $200. After I knew what I was doing I was much more willing to try it with ridiculously expensive screen material.

If you're totally new to front projection you'll find people say it's like photography. The camera bodies are like the projectors and will be replaced every few to years with newer technology, but good lenses, like screens, is where you really invest your money for the long haul. There's also a metaphor about putting money into speakers instead of receivers.... you get the idea. Good luck!

MM
Reply Screens

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page