post #31 of 181 Old 12-09-2013, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldelo View Post

Well the tech support from VApex had me loosen the strings as well as the silver screws on the bottom bar to try to relieve my bottom corner wave problem. It will sit for a number of days and hopefully the screen will fix itself.

I sure hope that does the trick. At least it is now documented in case of future need to swap it out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 181 Old 12-10-2013, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

I sure hope that does the trick. At least it is now documented in case of future need to swap it out.

I sure hope so too. He also mentioned taking a hair dryer to it at some point. I haven't noticed too much of a difference since loosening the screen though. I am going to call back tomorrow and see what to do next. I wonder how an exchange would go...

post #33 of 181 Old 12-10-2013, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I sure hope so too. He also mentioned taking a hair dryer to it at some point. I haven't noticed too much of a difference since loosening the screen though. I am going to call back tomorrow and see what to do next. I wonder how an exchange would go...

I noticed ripples in mine last night at the bottom. However, I just tightened it up and they went away as I was tightening.

I am sure they would arrange for shipping and pickup.

post #34 of 181 Old 12-10-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:

I noticed ripples in mine last night at the bottom. However, I just tightened it up and they went away as I was tightening.

I am sure they would arrange for shipping and pickup.

Ripples in the center or at the corners? Mine are at the corners. The tech actually warned me against tightening too much.

post #35 of 181 Old 12-10-2013, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ripples in the center or at the corners? Mine are at the corners. The tech actually warned me against tightening too much.

Both. There were ripples the entire way across. I suspect it also has something to do with the rolling and unrolling. They have simply gone away on their own if Ieft the screen down.
Ya, I would definitely not want to over tighten.

post #36 of 181 Old 12-10-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:

Both. There were ripples the entire way across. I suspect it also has something to do with the rolling and unrolling. They have simply gone away on their own if Ieft the screen down.
Ya, I would definitely not want to over tighten.

Hmm. I have more diagonal ripples / waves originating in the corners. When I loosened it up I got vertical ripples on the bottom of the screen. He is having it sit there for a while, I might need to tighten it up again tomorrow. I still have those horizontal "hotspot" lines though in the center of the screen. They have not gone away yet but I imagine they have to be from being rolled up. Perhaps I need to hit my screen with the hair dryer.

post #37 of 181 Old 12-10-2013, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmm. I have more diagonal ripples / waves originating in the corners. When I loosened it up I got vertical ripples on the bottom of the screen. He is having it sit there for a while, I might need to tighten it up again tomorrow. I still have those horizontal "hotspot" lines though in the center of the screen. They have not gone away yet but I imagine they have to be from being rolled up. Perhaps I need to hit my screen with the hair dryer.

The hair dryer idea popped into my head as well when seeing the ripples. I will see what happens when it unrolled again this evening.

post #38 of 181 Old 12-10-2013, 02:37 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Well the tech support from VApex had me loosen the strings as well as the silver screws on the bottom bar to try to relieve my bottom corner wave problem. It will sit for a number of days and hopefully the screen will fix itself.

Hope it works! Mine is in transit from Seattle (apparently), hopefully mine has no issues. :P

Still no sign of the darned projector though.. still "on order"... arrrggghhh!
post #39 of 181 Old 12-10-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:

The hair dryer idea popped into my head as well when seeing the ripples. I will see what happens when it unrolled again this evening.

Oh darn, did not first see you too are having issues... frown.gif How serious are they, i.e. do they really seriously lessen the viewing experience - say, for example, there is an awesome scene of Penelope Cruz reclining on a sofa, would you notice the ripples? :P
post #40 of 181 Old 12-10-2013, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viipottaja View Post

Oh darn, did not first see you too are having issues... frown.gif How serious are they, i.e. do they really seriously lessen the viewing experience - say, for example, there is an awesome scene of Penelope Cruz reclining on a sofa, would you notice the ripples? :P

I am not having issues. I had small ripples at the bottom when new, just tightened the adjusters and it is all better now.

post #41 of 181 Old 12-10-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:

I am not having issues. I had small ripples at the bottom when new, just tightened the adjusters and it is all better now.

Phew, good to hear, for a moment I thought I would be distracted by ripples instead of being able to enjoy Peneloope's nipp... err.. never mind! biggrin.gif
post #42 of 181 Old 12-11-2013, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hope it works! Mine is in transit from Seattle (apparently), hopefully mine has no issues. :P

Still no sign of the darned projector though.. still "on order"... arrrggghhh!

Most likely you will have a winner. I am assuming that issues are relatively rare. Not many people complaining about the quality or customer service.

post #43 of 181 Old 12-11-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:

The horizontal hotspots are pretty darn distracting. They are a good foot or so wide and maybe 1/4 inch thick, stuck right in the center of the screen at regular vertical spacing. The waves in the corners aren't so bad since they aren't usually near the action, but they are still distracting as well.

post #44 of 181 Old 12-11-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:

The horizontal hotspots are pretty darn distracting. They are a good foot or so wide and maybe 1/4 inch thick, stuck right in the center of the screen at regular vertical spacing. The waves in the corners aren't so bad since they aren't usually near the action, but they are still distracting as well.

Hmm. Sounds like you might want to have it replaced?

Ps. Finally got an update from B&H, they expect to get the projector from Panasonic in 5-7 days.. so I may still get it by Xmas! smile.gif
post #45 of 181 Old 12-12-2013, 01:19 PM

Well I got a replacement screen sent out today. I need to send back a box of parts and a 24" x 24" section of screen which I found interesting. I guess it doesn't make too much sense for them to spend as much to send the entire thing back. Here's hoping for a good screen this time! Besides the issues I've had, the experience with VApex has been overall very positive. Good customer support and technical support. Zero issue with getting a new screen sent out as well. I hope to be able to report a better screen in a week or so.

post #46 of 181 Old 12-12-2013, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I got a replacement screen sent out today. I need to send back a box of parts and a 24" x 24" section of screen which I found interesting. I guess it doesn't make too much sense for them to spend as much to send the entire thing back. Here's hoping for a good screen this time! Besides the issues I've had, the experience with VApex has been overall very positive. Good customer support and technical support. Zero issue with getting a new screen sent out as well. I hope to be able to report a better screen in a week or so.

Awesome, fingers crossed.smile.gif

post #47 of 181 Old 12-12-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:

Hmm. Which parts? If its just some generic so here is the big screen scam of 2014. I order a screen. I complain. They say "send parts and piece of screen back". I get the nuts and bolts, you mail me a piece of a fabric, they send a new screen, I sell one, we split the profit. We could make literally, like at least a $100 per head! biggrin.gif :-P

Anyway, hope it works and hope I don't need to through the same routine.
post #48 of 181 Old 12-12-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:

Hmm. Which parts? If its just some generic so here is the big screen scam of 2014. I order a screen. I complain. They say "send parts and piece of screen back". I get the nuts and bolts, you mail me a piece of a fabric, they send a new screen, I sell one, we split the profit. We could make literally, like at least a $100 per head! biggrin.gif :-P

Anyway, hope it works and hope I don't need to through the same routine.

Ouch. Pretty funny and probably possible / mean haha. I hope you are in good shape as well!

post #49 of 181 Old 12-15-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I got the 120" fixed frame screen this weekend.
$299 & free shipping was hard to pass up. Ordered it Thursday and arrived Saturday. That's fast!

I had a jamestown(ebay seller shoppingdeals) screen, which the screen material/gain is about the same but I had to take down the screen once a year to pull out the waves.

No waves what so ever on this screen.
Assembly was straight forward but I had to drill through a couple of the plastic connectors since the pilot holes weren't drilled all the way.
It took two of us to install/stretch the screen.

Once the brackets are installed, hanging the screen took some work.
The lip on the brackets are close to the wall so you have to push hard on the frame while sliding down.
I had to use a rubber mallet and pound on the frame while I slid the screen frame down.
Once it's hung, it's not going any where.

It looks no different than the Jamestown screen but knowing it won't develop waves is worth the price.

post #50 of 181 Old 12-15-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi 42Plasmaman can you post some pictures of the screen.

post #51 of 181 Old 12-16-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post

Hi 42Plasmaman can you post some pictures of the screen.
I took a picture but not really much to post.
Taking a picture with a still image is also subjective depending on my camera skills.

It looks just like the stock picture. It's rectangular with black borders. smile.gif

http://avnews.visualapex.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/JD_1.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/Screens-120-inch-Projection-Screen-3-5-inch/dp/B00DD65HHE/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1387214843&sr=1-2

post #52 of 181 Old 12-16-2013, 03:23 PM

Mine is arriving tomorrow! Woot.. no just need the projector to finally ship too... frown.gif
post #53 of 181 Old 12-17-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:

Mine is arriving tomorrow! Woot.. no just need the projector to finally ship too... frown.gif

Have fun! My replacement is showing up friday.

post #54 of 181 Old 12-18-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:

Have fun! My replacement is showing up friday.

Thanks! And here it is, all hung :P. Ex-garage, door used to be where the windows behind screen are. My Ord Audio polished brass balls (don't touch them!) need to be repositioned at some point, and now I can add back speakers to go from 5.1 to 7.1. Nice.
Will take another pic tonight that shows it a little better.

This was taken immediately after I got it up and I was worried about the waves you can see. However, I left it fully lowered for the night and this morning almost all of it had disappeared. Looks good enough already, and I would hope it will get even more flat after I leave it down for another night tonight. Super exiting!

And, B&H said my projector should ship Friday and get to me on Saturday - so hope that happens! Good times!! smile.gif

post #55 of 181 Old 12-18-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:

Thanks! And here it is, all hung :P. Ex-garage, door used to be where the windows behind screen are. My Ord Audio polished brass balls (don't touch them!) need to be repositioned at some point, and now I can add back speakers to go from 5.1 to 7.1. Nice.

This was taken immediately after I got it up and I was worried about the waves you can see. However, I left it fully lowered for the night and this morning almost all of it had disappeared. Looks good enough already, and I would hope it will get even more flat after I leave it down for another night tonight. Super exiting!

And, B&H said my projector should ship Friday and get to me on Saturday - so hope that happens! Good times!! smile.gif

Nice looking room! Glad that your screen is working out so far. Mine is actually getting delivered today now. We will see if it is any better...

post #56 of 181 Old 12-18-2013, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nice! Congrats!

That is the perfect size for the room! I like your setup!smile.gif

post #57 of 181 Old 12-18-2013, 10:25 AM

Well my screen arrived....damaged. So that is actually 2/2 screens that arrived damaged. The first one(still up) only had the left end cap busted off, which isn't a big deal. This one had the right end cap(power connector) busted off, big chunk taken out of the metal box and the plastic at the bottom of the screen bar. Sigh frown.gif

I actually refused this delivery, which is something I have never done. I am actually starting to get disappointed now. Both screens were damaged, and my current one seems a bit defective. I usually don't second guess my buying decision but I am starting to feel that way. Though the damaged goods isn't really VA's fault.

I'll keep everyone informed.

post #58 of 181 Old 12-18-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:

Nice looking room! Glad that your screen is working out so far. Mine is actually getting delivered today now. We will see if it is any better...

Thanks!
Quote:

Nice! Congrats!

That is the perfect size for the room! I like your setup!smile.gif
Thanks! Will try to post better pics when its more set up.
Quote:

Well my screen arrived....damaged. So that is actually 2/2 screens that arrived damaged. The first one(still up) only had the left end cap busted off, which isn't a big deal. This one had the right end cap(power connector) busted off, big chunk taken out of the metal box and the plastic at the bottom of the screen bar. Sigh frown.gif

I actually refused this delivery, which is something I have never done. I am actually starting to get disappointed now. Both screens were damaged, and my current one seems a bit defective. I usually don't second guess my buying decision but I am starting to feel that way. Though the damaged goods isn't really VA's fault.

frown.gif Sorry to hear that. Actually, my left end cap was also broken off but I don't care much as its quite close to the sidewall and its trim. Will try to double-side-sticky tape it on today.
post #59 of 181 Old 12-18-2013, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ugh!

That is a huge bummer. It is hard to have anything reliably shipped these days. I always expect the worst and am rarely disappointed. I have a refused a few things as well.

I sure hope you can get this all sorted out. Damn.

post #60 of 181 Old 12-18-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:

Thanks!
Thanks! Will try to post better pics when its more set up.
frown.gif Sorry to hear that. Actually, my left end cap was also broken off but I don't care much as its quite close to the sidewall and its trim. Will try to double-side-sticky tape it on today.

They will replace that for you smile.gif They did for my initial screen.

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page