post #61 of 155 Old 12-18-2013, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

Ugh!

That is a huge bummer. It is hard to have anything reliably shipped these days. I always expect the worst and am rarely disappointed. I have a refused a few things as well.

I sure hope you can get this all sorted out. Damn.

Well I called VA right away and the rep was pretty upset about the whole situation. She essentially asked me what I want from them, in a good way. I know it is not really their fault, I want an un damaged screen that is free from the defects I've noticed. I hope it is not a nature of the product. The horizontal lines were essentially the deal breaker for me. I can kinda deal with the waves in the bottom corners but hotspot lines in the center of the screen? Not so much. I hope I don't see that issue again.

Again VA has been good to work with, and dealing with them has been pleasant throughout, despite the issues.

They will be sending another screen of course.

Also they will be specifically in touch with the shipping company/s regarding my shipment to make sure it arrives in perfect shape. They are also working to change intermediate shippers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 155 Old 12-18-2013, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Yes, they are generally great to work with. Like you said, not their fault, still disappointing nonetheless.

I am sure your next one will be the charm.

post #63 of 155 Old 12-18-2013, 11:04 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldelo View Post

They will replace that for you smile.gif They did for my initial screen.

oh cool, thanks, emailing them now! will attach the pic above just to be on record on the waves, even if they do go away (mostly).

edit: ok, they will send a new end cap and will have their tech call me about the waves - again, this morning most of it seemed to have gone away. since I haven't received the projector yet, haven't tested for uniformity/hotspotting yet though.

so did you ask for e.g. a partial reimbursement? I am sure they would give you at least the 10% discount they had during Cyber Week (when I ordered).
post #64 of 155 Old 12-18-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viipottaja View Post

oh cool, thanks, emailing them now! will attach the pic above just to be on record on the waves, even if they do go away (mostly).

edit: ok, they will send a new end cap and will have their tech call me about the waves - again, this morning most of it seemed to have gone away. since I haven't received the projector yet, haven't tested for uniformity/hotspotting yet though.

so did you ask for e.g. a partial reimbursement? I am sure they would give you at least the 10% discount they had during Cyber Week (when I ordered).

I had purchased the screen during that promotion. They actually had it up quite a bit before black friday. I did not ask for any reimbursement beyond that. If I receive another screen with issues, then I might. Or I might just have to go with a different vendor at that point.

post #65 of 155 Old 12-18-2013, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had purchased the screen during that promotion. They actually had it up quite a bit before black friday. I did not ask for any reimbursement beyond that. If I receive another screen with issues, then I might. Or I might just have to go with a different vendor at that point.

I think 3 chances would be enough for anyone to tolerate. I would consider something else at that point as well.
I sure hope the next one gets there before the holiday and you are good to go.

post #66 of 155 Old 12-18-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:

I think 3 chances would be enough for anyone to tolerate. I would consider something else at that point as well.
I sure hope the next one gets there before the holiday and you are good to go.

According to tracking it will come the day after Christmas.

post #67 of 155 Old 12-19-2013, 05:51 AM

Quote:

According to tracking it will come the day after Christmas.

I am noticing some horizontal lines - are these the kind that bothered you? I hope some of them go away with time.

Also, a better pic of my setup (the amplifier is still showing its hiney, will go into the shelf; speakers need to be repositioned eventually)

Wall-E!

Projector will go on top:
post #68 of 155 Old 12-19-2013, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I suspect they are from the screen being rolled up. I did not notice them on mine, but was not looking that closely either.

They may indeed go away as the screen is raised and lowered numerous times.

post #69 of 155 Old 12-19-2013, 09:31 AM
a|F

Liked: 14
Received mine last week and am quite satisfied - the picture looks great. Here were a couple issues I had:

Small amount of wrinkling in bottom right corner which appears to be getting better. I have not made any adjustments to the tensioning system because it's barely noticeable.

The projector was shipped fast but was in a huge box with not enough bubble wrap or stuffing, so it was sliding around the box. Gross negligence on their end and I when I let them know, my contact sounded pissed and offered to send a new one. I held off because it seems to be working fine.

One of the L-brackets holding the screen has a stripped nut so it wouldn't tighten. The screen is merely resting on it, which is fine because it's solid and not going anywhere.

The dust cover is way too big and looks exceptionally cheap for my benq w1070.

All that being said, I'm in love with this setup and it looks great. As long as you recognize that this is bargain basement stuff and expect to have a minor annoyance or two, you should not be disappointed.

Cheers!
post #70 of 155 Old 12-19-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:

I am noticing some horizontal lines - are these the kind that bothered you? I hope some of them go away with time.

Hmmm those look more like physical lines. Mine weren't really waves or folds so much as hotspots. Very hard to spot just looking for waves. I'll try to get a pic.

Also, a better pic of my setup (the amplifier is still showing its hiney, will go into the shelf; speakers need to be repositioned eventually)

Wall-E!

Projector will go on top:

post #71 of 155 Old 12-19-2013, 10:27 AM

Look near the top left. The camera orientation makes it look angled, but the line is horizontal. Notice how it is bright and reflects more light.

post #72 of 155 Old 12-19-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:

Look near the top left. The camera orientation makes it look angled, but the line is horizontal. Notice how it is bright and reflects more light.

I am afraid mine may be the same.
post #73 of 155 Old 12-19-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:

I am afraid mine may be the same.

Ugh. I hope it gets better for you. How warm do you keep it in that room? I'm wondering if some heat will work it out, since they suggested the hair dryer.

post #74 of 155 Old 12-19-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:

Ugh. I hope it gets better for you. How warm do you keep it in that room? I'm wondering if some heat will work it out, since they suggested the hair dryer.

It's cooler than the rest of the house, being an ex-garage there is only one HVAC vent in the room.
Well, I'll test it once I get the projector - I did again email them with pics asking if they are normal, to be on the record within the 7 day period...
post #75 of 155 Old 12-23-2013, 11:43 AM

Oh yeah babies, my projector is shipping today and should arrive tomorrow!!! Just in time for Christmas! I am over the moon! tongue.gif:D
post #76 of 155 Old 12-27-2013, 12:09 AM

I have noticed the same issue as a couple of you with the 120" tensioned electric Vapex screen that's hanging in my family room. Horizontal bands running across the length of the screen every 6-8 inches top to bottom, which shine in bright scenes depending on the viewing angle. This is with a replacement screen that VA sent me. I had noticed the problem with the first screen I received and VA customer service was pretty good at sending me a replacement screen.

But sadly, this seems to be a problem with how the screen is built. Something is pressing on the screen when its rolled up and creates the creases or bands. If you look at the back of the screen when its rolled down, you will clearly see the creases on the black surface.

I have arranged to have it shipped back for a refund. I am back to searching for a screen :(.

post #77 of 155 Old 12-27-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvg75 View Post

I have noticed the same issue as a couple of you with the 120" tensioned electric Vapex screen that's hanging in my family room. Horizontal bands running across the length of the screen every 6-8 inches top to bottom, which shine in bright scenes depending on the viewing angle. This is with a replacement screen that VA sent me. I had noticed the problem with the first screen I received and VA customer service was pretty good at sending me a replacement screen.
But sadly, this seems to be a problem with how the screen is built. Something is pressing on the screen when its rolled up and creates the creases or bands. If you look at the back of the screen when its rolled down, you will clearly see the creases on the black surface.
I have arranged to have it shipped back for a refund. I am back to searching for a screen frown.gif.

Ugh this is unfortunately what I am thinking too. I just received my 3rd replacement today, but I am at work and will report its status later tonight. The 2nd replacement was damaged and I refused delivery. Let us know if you decide on another brand, I'm starting to think I will have to go that route as well.

I was hoping that the bands would go away, but my screen has been up for a couple/few weeks now and they still exist. They are pretty darn distracting and a deal breaker for me.

post #78 of 155 Old 12-27-2013, 08:59 AM

Yesterday ordered 135 fixed frame from vapex only to get a reply that they are sold out.

Next ETA is February, such a bummer.

post #79 of 155 Old 12-27-2013, 09:07 AM

Since vapex 135 is sold out, anyone can suggest a similarly priced/quality alternative? Waiting till February seems like a long time.

post #80 of 155 Old 12-27-2013, 08:32 PM

Well my screen arrived today in good shape and I had it hanging after a family visit. I am pleased to report that I do not see the horizontal bands / hotspots on this screen! There are some waves that will work themselves out most likely, The deal breaker issue I had is gone though and I am much much happier with the picture now. No distracting glaring lines staring at me now!

Woo!

post #81 of 155 Old 12-27-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:

Well my screen arrived today in good shape and I had it hanging after a family visit. I am pleased to report that I do not see the horizontal bands / hotspots on this screen! There are some waves that will work themselves out most likely, The deal breaker issue I had is gone though and I am much much happier with the picture now. No distracting glaring lines staring at me now!

Woo!

Glad its working out for you.

post #82 of 155 Old 12-28-2013, 05:45 AM

Liked: 11
I have the 106" tensioned screen. I have the same issues noted above. There are waves/wrinkles but they go away after lowering the screen and waiting for 5 minutes or so. Interestingly enough VA misshipped the screen and delivered the non tension version the first time. The non tension version had no issues (waves or wrinkles). Made me think if I should've just kept it and asked to be credited for the difference. I went for the tensioned screen because I did not want any waves but ended up having them in the tensioned screen. Argh!
post #83 of 155 Old 12-29-2013, 05:04 AM

Quote:

Woo!

Great to hear! I have those lines and been wondering if its even worth trying to get a replacement - sounds like it would! I only wish they would open the screen at their headquarters before shipping it out to make sure its not defective... but I can understand why they wouldn't, would probably add a $50 or more to the price to do that.
post #84 of 155 Old 12-29-2013, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Woo!

Good deal!

Happy viewing!smile.gif

post #85 of 155 Old 12-29-2013, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am still loving this wireless trigger and the way the whole thing just disappears when not in use.

You really can't ask for much more at this price point!

post #86 of 155 Old 12-30-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:

I am still loving this wireless trigger and the way the whole thing just disappears when not in use.

You really can't ask for much more at this price point!

lol I was excited for the wireless trigger too! Until I found out that my hw50es doesn't have the input. haha oh well!

post #87 of 155 Old 12-30-2013, 05:38 AM

Quote:

lol I was excited for the wireless trigger too! Until I found out that my hw50es doesn't have the input. haha oh well!

Can you give a few details on the exchange process: did you have to pay the return of the piece of the screen and the parts and if so how much did it cost you? Did they only ship the replacement after they received the parts back from you? How long did the whole process take (I am hooked now and would hate to have no screen for a long period of time)?

Btw, did not manage to get the trigger to work at least yet on my Panasonic AE8000U. To me the trigger set up process is a bit confusing. When I get the red light to flash and then push the button on the trigger itself, it only flashes the blue light once and does not turn into a solid blue light as it apparently should.
post #88 of 155 Old 12-30-2013, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can still use it if your receiver or BD player has a trigger...

post #89 of 155 Old 12-30-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:

You can still use it if your receiver or BD player has a trigger...

But programming that trigger is a b****... I press the button at the end of screen - red light only blinks once. I poke the trigger, blue light blinks once. Ok, does not work. So I long press on the screen - red light now blinks. Poke the trigger - blue light blinks once. Does not work. frown.gif What am I doing wrong? Oh and the screen keeps yanking a little step up and down during those steps.
post #90 of 155 Old 12-30-2013, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But programming that trigger is a b****... I press the button at the end of screen - red light only blinks once. I poke the trigger, blue light blinks once. Ok, does not work. So I long press on the screen - red light now blinks. Poke the trigger - blue light blinks once. Does not work. frown.gif What am I doing wrong? Oh and the screen keeps yanking a little step up and down during those steps.

It shouldn't be problematic. It should be uber simple. I would contact support to make sure you have the proper procedure.

Mine worked in about 5 seconds of setup....

Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page