Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 163 Old 12-30-2013, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

You can still use it if your receiver or BD player has a trigger...

Oh curious. I'm using an Onkyo TX-NR708. I'll have to check! Thx for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viipottaja View Post

Can you give a few details on the exchange process: did you have to pay the return of the piece of the screen and the parts and if so how much did it cost you? Did they only ship the replacement after they received the parts back from you? How long did the whole process take (I am hooked now and would hate to have no screen for a long period of time)?

Btw, did not manage to get the trigger to work at least yet on my Panasonic AE8000U. To me the trigger set up process is a bit confusing. When I get the red light to flash and then push the button on the trigger itself, it only flashes the blue light once and does not turn into a solid blue light as it apparently should.

The exchange process works as such. You get a return label from them and a list of parts. Box it all up, slap the label on and bring it to your nearest fedex shipper. No cost to you except for gas, box if necessary and your time of course. They shipped out the replacement screen before getting the parts back. I haven't sent my return parts back yet at all. So I had my banded screen up the whole time until I spent the 10 minutes hanging the new screen up.

So I went through two replacement screens as you may recall, first one damaged second one okay. I am about as far away from Seattle as possible(PA) so the screen would take a good five days to get here. So it probably took me about 2-2.5 weeks to get a working screen up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 163 Old 12-30-2013, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldelo View Post

Sure thing.

Triggers are universal. So, any device in the signal chain that has one will work fine. I use my processor's triggers to power up additional amplifiers and other devices.
I also have trigger-enabled power strips that can relay that signal further down the chain to power anything plugged in.

I can't imagine a receiver without at least one trigger port...or at least I have never had one without them.

post #93 of 163 Old 12-30-2013, 10:32 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

The exchange process works as such. You get a return label from them and a list of parts. Box it all up, slap the label on and bring it to your nearest fedex shipper. No cost to you except for gas, box if necessary and your time of course. They shipped out the replacement screen before getting the parts back. I haven't sent my return parts back yet at all. So I had my banded screen up the whole time until I spent the 10 minutes hanging the new screen up.

So I went through two replacement screens as you may recall, first one damaged second one okay. I am about as far away from Seattle as possible(PA) so the screen would take a good five days to get here. So it probably took me about 2-2.5 weeks to get a working screen up.

My Onkyo 706 has a trigger so I am sure your 708 has too.

Hmm. So what happens if you don't send the parts? smile.gif They charge your credit card for two screens until you do?

Btw, I am in DC/MD so we are almost neighbors. smile.gif
post #94 of 163 Old 12-30-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:

My Onkyo 706 has a trigger so I am sure your 708 has too.

Hmm. So what happens if you don't send the parts? smile.gif They charge your credit card for two screens until you do?

I assume they would charge me or start pestering me. They are pretty reasonable folks that seemingly just want me to be happy. I told them I probably can't make the 15-day return window on the parts given the second screen that I had to send back, and they told me not to even worry about it given the defective nature of the screen. I let them know that I would have the new screen stew for a few days and then I would send back the parts and cut up the old screen. I also offered to specifically cut out one of the bands if it would help them troubleshoot and find a root cause to prevent future customer issues. I should get an email back today as I sent it out late friday.

post #95 of 163 Old 12-30-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:

It shouldn't be problematic. It should be uber simple. I would contact support to make sure you have the proper procedure.

Mine worked in about 5 seconds of setup....

So what did you do? Long press on the button on the side of the screen above the power cord to get the red light blinking, then poke the trigger to get them to pair? Does not work for me.
post #96 of 163 Old 12-30-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So what did you do? Long press on the button on the side of the screen above the power cord to get the red light blinking, then poke the trigger to get them to pair? Does not work for me.

I just pressed the button on the end for about 5 seconds, then with the receiver plugged into the projector I pressed the small button using the small yellow wand.

post #97 of 163 Old 12-30-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:

I assume they would charge me or start pestering me. They are pretty reasonable folks that seemingly just want me to be happy. I told them I probably can't make the 15-day return window on the parts given the second screen that I had to send back, and they told me not to even worry about it given the defective nature of the screen. I let them know that I would have the new screen stew for a few days and then I would send back the parts and cut up the old screen. I also offered to specifically cut out one of the bands if it would help them troubleshoot and find a root cause to prevent future customer issues. I should get an email back today as I sent it out late friday.

I spoke to them today - they are shipping (actually apparently already did) a new screen to me! Hopefully they will/did check before shipping - would hate to receive another defective one!
post #98 of 163 Old 12-30-2013, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I spoke to them today - they are shipping (actually apparently already did) a new screen to me! Hopefully they will/did check before shipping - would hate to receive another defective one!

Good deal, hopefully this one is the ticket.

post #99 of 163 Old 12-31-2013, 04:29 AM

Quote:

Good luck!

post #100 of 163 Old 01-06-2014, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How did you make out with the new one?

post #101 of 163 Old 01-06-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:

How did you make out with the new one?

Thanks for asking but it was not delivered yet. Estimated delivery is tomorrow but DHL have not called to make the appointment so I would guess later in the week.

I am happy to report that I did manage to get almost all of the waving at the bottom of the screen to disappear by adjusting the screws at the ends of the bottom weight bar - since this one is going back anyway I felt comfortable tightening the screws a couple of full twists at a time, and it worked. smile.gif So if I have them in the new screen will do the same without hesitation.
post #102 of 163 Old 01-09-2014, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I hope you have received it by now and are enjoying your new screen!

post #103 of 163 Old 01-10-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:

I hope you have received it by now and are enjoying your new screen!

Hi and thanks for asking - it still has not arrived and DSL has not even called to schedule delivery. Apparently the winter weather has caused a lot of delivery delays. I am in no huge hurry since I fortunately have the faulty one at least. It is still awesome and have impressed many a neighbor and friend already with the set up! tongue.gif
post #104 of 163 Old 01-10-2014, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thinking about this screen due to the price and both horizontal and vertical flexibility. Like some of you I also want to use my LED panel when not using my projector. My question is to those of you that have an electric non-tensioned one wall mounted, would I be able to buy extensions for the electric version of these screens so it extends out past the TV? Also, what is the clearance from the front of the screen to the wall when using the supplied hardware from VAPEX while wall mounting?

I'm renting, the ceiling is stucco, so ceiling mounting is out of the question.

Thanks!

EDIT: Wall mounting my TV and center speaker later today.. I believe I will need about 3 inches(wall to screen) of clearance
post #105 of 163 Old 01-11-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall77 View Post

Thinking about this screen due to the price and both horizontal and vertical flexibility. Like some of you I also want to use my LED panel when not using my projector. My question is to those of you that have an electric non-tensioned one wall mounted, would I be able to buy extensions for the electric version of these screens so it extends out past the TV? Also, what is the clearance from the front of the screen to the wall when using the supplied hardware from VAPEX while wall mounting?

I'm renting, the ceiling is stucco, so ceiling mounting is out of the question.

Thanks!

EDIT: Wall mounting my TV and center speaker later today.. I believe I will need about 3 inches(wall to screen) of clearance

1) Why would stucco make ceiling mounting impossible? Especially if there are studs under it, or if you can get anchors into the voids above it? I have drywall ceiling and anchored screws worked fine.

2) The brackets that come with only provide about two inches or so clearance between the wall and the screen. So you would likely need to attach a piece of wood (e.g. like they do in their online installation demo video) on the wall, onto which you 'd then secure the brackets.

3) If I recall (would have to climb on a ladder to verify), the screen (at least the tensioned one I have) also has rings that you can use to hang the screen from hooks. So you could in principle attach somekind of triangle shaped brackets (something like what you see for flower pots but smaller) to the wall and then the screen using hooks and those rings on to those. However, not sure if that would impact how smoothly the screen rolls up and down.
freefall77 likes this.
post #106 of 163 Old 01-12-2014, 05:35 AM

Liked: 11
Yes, the mounting brackets prove only 1.5 to 1.75" of clearance I put 2" x 4" x 8' of wood on the wall to clear the window sill in my application.
freefall77 likes this.
post #107 of 163 Old 01-12-2014, 05:39 AM

Have any of you guys fixed the waves through tensioning or adjusting the gray knobs or silver screws? VA customer service recommended that I adjust those but I can't seem to get any luck. Thank you.
post #108 of 163 Old 01-13-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Argo View Post

Have any of you guys fixed the waves through tensioning or adjusting the gray knobs or silver screws? VA customer service recommended that I adjust those but I can't seem to get any luck. Thank you.

Hi, yes, I managed to get all of them out in mine by turning the silver color screws (at the of the weight bar there are three screws, the silver one at the top is the one to turn, I was told by their tech support; NOTE that he said they have different models but sounds like yours might be the same). Since I knew I was getting a replacement screen (will be delivered this Friday) anyway, I did not feel uneasy about turning them. I first turned each end a full circle/twist. That helped but only a little bit. So I then turned again, and eventually probably about 4 full turns. May have turned a bit more on the side where the waves were mostly at. All of those waves were in the bottom 15-20in or so section of the screen.
post #109 of 163 Old 01-14-2014, 01:37 PM

Hi everyone !
My projector , an optima HD25e , does not have a trigger port. Has anyone done a mod to wire in the V-apex wireless trigger to there projector or any other contraption? I wonder if it activates once a current/load is present ?

Any thoughts?

Maybe just as well easier to press the up down arrow in the screens remote . Lol
post #110 of 163 Old 01-14-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cswann821 View Post

Hi everyone !
My projector , an optima HD25e , does not have a trigger port. Has anyone done a mod to wire in the V-apex wireless trigger to there projector or any other contraption? I wonder if it activates once a current/load is present ?

Any thoughts?

Maybe just as well easier to press the up down arrow in the screens remote . Lol

I have not been able to get mine to work yet either (although my Panasonice AE8000U does have a trigger port) but will try to again when my replacement screen comes on Friday. But like someone in this thread mentioned earlier, your AV receiver may also have a trigger port. My Onkyo does. You should check and see if that port would work for you.
post #111 of 163 Old 01-15-2014, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have the 106" tensioned screen. I have the same issues noted above. There are waves/wrinkles but they go away after lowering the screen and waiting for 5 minutes or so. Interestingly enough VA misshipped the screen and delivered the non tension version the first time. The non tension version had no issues (waves or wrinkles). Made me think if I should've just kept it and asked to be credited for the difference. I went for the tensioned screen because I did not want any waves but ended up having them in the tensioned screen. Argh!

So I started reading this thread because I was thinking of getting (what I believe now to be) the non-tensioned screen but this thread was all about the tensioned one until I read your post. So your intention was to get the tensioned one originally. Why? Did you see issues with the one you got accidentally? I'm assuming everyone is getting the tensioned one to avoid the issues being experienced here. After your brief experience with the non-tensioned one, would you still recommend it over the one you have now?
post #112 of 163 Old 01-15-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdavinci View Post

So I started reading this thread because I was thinking of getting (what I believe now to be) the non-tensioned screen but this thread was all about the tensioned one until I read your post. So your intention was to get the tensioned one originally. Why? Did you see issues with the one you got accidentally? I'm assuming everyone is getting the tensioned one to avoid the issues being experienced here. After your brief experience with the non-tensioned one, would you still recommend it over the one you have now?

Actually, VA tech support told me that the tensioning is not intended so much (or at all) to address the waving. Instead, the tensioning helps prevent the outer edges of the screen from collapsing forward towards the viewer over time. The tightening of the screws at the bottom weight bar is the main way to try remove waves in the lower parts of the screen (worked for me).
post #113 of 163 Old 01-15-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:

I bought the tensioned screen based on advice from reviewers that the non-tensioned screens develop waves or wrinkles over time. VA delivered the non-tension version instead of the one I bought. I only noticed that it was the wrong screen after I switched it on (the invoice clearly stated tension screen). The non-tensioned version had no issues, no waves or wrinkles. But I paid for the more expensive screen and I don't want any issues later on. Imagine my excitement. If the standard electric screen was this good, then the tension one should be better. Wrong! The moment I switched it on, it had wrinkles and waves (although the Audioholics review said theirs were wrinkle free). VA customer service was prompt in correcting the issue (although the sent the non-tension screen a second time before finally sending the right screen). I'm still working with VA to solve my issues with my screen...
post #114 of 163 Old 01-15-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:

After your brief experience with the non-tensioned one, would you still recommend it over the one you have now?

Yes. I recommend the standard or non-tension screen. The VA tech told me that their standard screen will not develop waves or wrinkles over time. But who knows? I haven't seen reviews here or the Internet. VA has three years in their warranty. I read somewhere that non-tension screens usually develop waves after a year or two. Sometimes, I just wonder if it was best if I just kept the standard screen and asked VA to refund the difference. If waves develop, I can just claim the warranty and get a new one. But I already gave back the standard screen and installed the tensioned version (hauled these up and down several flights of stairs).
post #115 of 163 Old 01-15-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:

Hi, yes, I managed to get all of them out in mine by turning the silver color screws (at the of the weight bar there are three screws, the silver one at the top is the one to turn, I was told by their tech support; NOTE that he said they have different models but sounds like yours might be the same). Since I knew I was getting a replacement screen (will be delivered this Friday) anyway, I did not feel uneasy about turning them. I first turned each end a full circle/twist. That helped but only a little bit. So I then turned again, and eventually probably about 4 full turns. May have turned a bit more on the side where the waves were mostly at. All of those waves were in the bottom 15-20in or so section of the screen.

Thank you. There are silver nuts in the weight bar channel. Are the nuts all the way to the edge of the bar? I tried this as well but the tech said that I over tightened the silver screws and asked me to loosen them. After the waves went away, does the screen still wrinkle when it returns to the housing? It seems some of the folks here said that it is inherent in the design and there is no way to fix this. The wrinkling as the screen goes back is the main culprit in the waves that I get. I'll try to post some pics here. Hope you can help.
post #116 of 163 Old 01-15-2014, 07:07 PM

Here's a photo of the screen with the wrinkles (when the screen is lowered). Most of these go away after a period of time the screen is left hanging.

Here are photos of the waves (lower corners). I tried adjusting the silver screws and tension knobs but I could not remove these.

Here are the waves that develop when the screen goes back to the housing and causing the appearance of the wrinkles (when the screen is first lowered).

I'm hoping that my issue is just an adjustment issue. I'll post again if I get better results (after adjusting and re-adjusting).
post #117 of 163 Old 01-15-2014, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes. I recommend the standard or non-tension screen. The VA tech told me that their standard screen will not develop waves or wrinkles over time. But who knows? I haven't seen reviews here or the Internet. VA has three years in their warranty. I read somewhere that non-tension screens usually develop waves after a year or two. Sometimes, I just wonder if it was best if I just kept the standard screen and asked VA to refund the difference. If waves develop, I can just claim the warranty and get a new one. But I already gave back the standard screen and installed the tensioned version (hauled these up and down several flights of stairs).

Thank you so much. Yeah, there's a lack of reviews out there but I found this screen via:

http://hometheaterreview.com/visual-apex-vapex9100se-electric-screen-reviewed/?page=2

and with that review and your recommendation, I'm one step (possibly final step) towards getting it. I currently have a DaLite fixed frame 92" with a high contrast screen. One of the main reasons I was thinking of an electric screen like this is because I believe it would over time not tend to get dirty like one that just sits there and collect all kinds of dust and grime. But now I'm stoked about the 12volt trigger and the fact that when it's raised, I can have my movie posters on the wall.
post #118 of 163 Old 01-15-2014, 07:42 PM

Good point. These will tend to be cleaner, I guess. Good luck. It's pretty nice to have the screen tucked away when not needed (and have your movie posters; window in my case).
post #119 of 163 Old 01-16-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:

Thank you. There are silver nuts in the weight bar channel. Are the nuts all the way to the edge of the bar? I tried this as well but the tech said that I over tightened the silver screws and asked me to loosen them. After the waves went away, does the screen still wrinkle when it returns to the housing? It seems some of the folks here said that it is inherent in the design and there is no way to fix this. The wrinkling as the screen goes back is the main culprit in the waves that I get. I'll try to post some pics here. Hope you can help.

The screws I tightened are at the end cap/side of the weight bar. I did not touch the tensioning knows for the strings at the edges of the screen. Perhaps losening those a little could help with the vawes closes to the edge? Also perhaps worth to note that it took a few days for the waves to completely disappear after the adjustments. So you may need to adjust, wait a few, and adjust again.

I did not have anywhere as bad waves as your pics seem to have. Did you send them to VA tech support? If they determine those are beyond normal, they would probably send you a new one.

I have actually kept the screen down all the time now as - surprisingly - my kids have so far obeyed my orders to not touch the screen! smile.gif So don't know if my waves would return if I were to roll the screen up between viewings.
post #120 of 163 Old 01-17-2014, 12:40 PM

ARRRGGHH!!! The new screen came and is torn at the lower corner above the weight bar. VERY VERY frustrating!

The only consolation is that I still have the original that I can at least view movies on, despite the lines on the screen distracting a little from the experience.

EDIT: and at least they are fast - they already placed the order for the replacement.. I am trying to not have to cut out a piece to send back from this second one as I did not put it up, nor even remove the shipping brackets.

Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page