Official Visual Apex (VAPEX) Screen Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #151 of 180 Old 04-17-2014, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
ben38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 691
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarablue View Post

I take it that the visual apex screen isn't good in a room with white walls then? Is there any screen comparible for the same price or at least near it?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
How about this one. Looks pretty good.http://eastporters.com/estore/cart.php?target=product&product_id=96&category_id=29
ben38 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 180 Old 04-22-2014, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
ben38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 691
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Looking to move my 120 inch Vapex fixed frame screen. I used it for about 6 weeks. It's all boxed up and ready to go. Any Takers?
ben38 is online now  
post #153 of 180 Old 04-24-2014, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
ben38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 691
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post

Looking to move my 120 inch Vapex fixed frame screen. I used it for about 6 weeks. It's all boxed up and ready to go. Any Takers?
SOLD.
ben38 is online now  
post #154 of 180 Old 04-24-2014, 03:02 PM
Member
 
Viipottaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just thought to update you all that after 3 screens that had problems (1st: bright spotting 2: torn at the weight bar upon arrival 3rd: uniformity issues - kind of like a slightly muddy roller had been rolled around on it ) I agreed with Visual Apex that I would return the parts and they reimbursed me fully.
Viipottaja is offline  
post #155 of 180 Old 05-16-2014, 08:19 AM
Newbie
 
Brian2109's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recently purchased an Epson 3020 refurbished projector package with the Visual Apex 135" screen. I am very pleased with the quality and have had no issues. I would definitely recommend them.
Brian2109 is offline  
post #156 of 180 Old 10-02-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TH3_FRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 1,373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just found this thread and haven't read through it all yet but since I'm going with a refurbished 5020 you are probably a great person to ask for your impressions. I'm going with 110" in a room without light control but I'm at the brighter end of the projectors abilities since I'm only throwing 12ft. Do you think the 1.1 CinemaWhite material will be sufficient for a non-dedicated HT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

I could not find much info regarding user experiences with VAPEX screens so I thought it might be beneficial to start a thread for owners.


Well, I decided to move forward with a VAPEX 106" tab-tensioned screen and an Epson 5030UB.

I hope the quality of the screen is decent because you sure can't beat the feature set for the money!

I will post more as soon as I get it.


Please post your experiences here!
TH3_FRB is offline  
post #157 of 180 Old 10-02-2014, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jpmst3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Davidsville, PA
Posts: 8,314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3_FRB View Post
Just found this thread and haven't read through it all yet but since I'm going with a refurbished 5020 you are probably a great person to ask for your impressions. I'm going with 110" in a room without light control but I'm at the brighter end of the projectors abilities since I'm only throwing 12ft. Do you think the 1.1 CinemaWhite material will be sufficient for a non-dedicated HT?
Definitely! I am still thrilled with the brightness and quality of!the my 1.1. It is one of the best purchases I have ever made.

______________________________________________
Joe = LFE Addict
Joe's LOWARHORN build
Dual LMS-5400 Ultra Endtables build
jpmst3 is online now  
post #158 of 180 Old 10-02-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TH3_FRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 1,373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Are you in a light-controlled room? My space has a lot of windows and I'm concerned about the picture being washed out during the day. Although daytime viewing would be mostly sports so it isn't as critical as movies. I might not have a choice because I can't find any motorized tensioned options with higher gain or grey surfaces close to $1k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post
Definitely! I am still thrilled with the brightness and quality of!the my 1.1. It is one of the best purchases I have ever made.
TH3_FRB is offline  
post #159 of 180 Old 10-02-2014, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jpmst3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Davidsville, PA
Posts: 8,314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3_FRB View Post
Are you in a light-controlled room? My space has a lot of windows and I'm concerned about the picture being washed out during the day. Although daytime viewing would be mostly sports so it isn't as critical as movies. I might not have a choice because I can't find any motorized tensioned options with higher gain or grey surfaces close to $1k.
I can control the light if I desired to. However, I do mainly nighttime viewing so it is not an issue.
I run mine in eco mode and turn down the brightness even with ambient light.

______________________________________________
Joe = LFE Addict
Joe's LOWARHORN build
Dual LMS-5400 Ultra Endtables build
jpmst3 is online now  
post #160 of 180 Old 10-20-2014, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jpmst3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Davidsville, PA
Posts: 8,314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3_FRB View Post
Are you in a light-controlled room? My space has a lot of windows and I'm concerned about the picture being washed out during the day. Although daytime viewing would be mostly sports so it isn't as critical as movies. I might not have a choice because I can't find any motorized tensioned options with higher gain or grey surfaces close to $1k.
What did you decide to do?

______________________________________________
Joe = LFE Addict
Joe's LOWARHORN build
Dual LMS-5400 Ultra Endtables build
jpmst3 is online now  
post #161 of 180 Old 10-20-2014, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TH3_FRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 1,373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Got the VApex bundle with 120" tensioned screen. Haven't installed anything yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post
What did you decide to do?
TH3_FRB is offline  
post #162 of 180 Old 10-21-2014, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jpmst3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Davidsville, PA
Posts: 8,314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3_FRB View Post
Got the VApex bundle with 120" tensioned screen. Haven't installed anything yet.
Good deal! Get busy!

You will be in HT bliss when you get that baby hung!

______________________________________________
Joe = LFE Addict
Joe's LOWARHORN build
Dual LMS-5400 Ultra Endtables build
jpmst3 is online now  
post #163 of 180 Old 10-22-2014, 05:48 PM
Member
 
Modicen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Subscribe
Modicen is offline  
post #164 of 180 Old 10-27-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DoyleS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Sunnyvale, CA , USA
Posts: 1,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I picked up the Vapex bundle on a 120" fixed screen with the Benq W1070 projector plus all of the items they toss in with the bundle. Out the door for less than $1100. I assembled the screen this last weekend. Would have been easier with 2 people. The frame goes together easily but stretching the screen material and pushing the rod into its slot on the frame and then trying to keep it there while you press the holding tab in place made for some pretty sore fingers. Would be a lot easier with 2 people. One stretching and one putting the tabs in. That said, the screen has no ripples or waves. Very impressed so far but have not mounted the screen or put the projector on it. Only so much time in a weekend and these are not things I want to be doing at the end of a day.

"So many tweeks....So little time!"
DoyleS is offline  
post #165 of 180 Old 11-27-2014, 10:15 AM
Member
 
Lifeline99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ithaca, NY, USA
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unfortunately I've had nothing but problems with the tab tensioned VA apex screen...specifically with horizontal bands that run the width of the screen. VA support has been very responsive, but Im now on my 2nd screen with exactly the same problems. Im really so disappointed...in my current setup, the screen is integrated into a builtin bookcase, and swapping it out for another one is a huge undertaking.

Ive attached some pics which demonstrate the issue. Ive seen some references to using a hair dryer to try and eliminate the issue. Was anyone successful in doing so?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140926_073000~2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	388649   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140926_073131.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	388657  

Remember Sammy Jankis.
Lifeline99 is offline  
post #166 of 180 Old 11-27-2014, 12:00 PM
Senior Member
 
kikkoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleS View Post
I picked up the Vapex bundle on a 120" fixed screen with the Benq W1070 projector plus all of the items they toss in with the bundle. Out the door for less than $1100. I assembled the screen this last weekend. Would have been easier with 2 people. The frame goes together easily but stretching the screen material and pushing the rod into its slot on the frame and then trying to keep it there while you press the holding tab in place made for some pretty sore fingers. Would be a lot easier with 2 people. One stretching and one putting the tabs in. That said, the screen has no ripples or waves. Very impressed so far but have not mounted the screen or put the projector on it. Only so much time in a weekend and these are not things I want to be doing at the end of a day.
I was looking into the VApex bundle similar to this but maybe with an electric screen b/c of the room layout and current configuration. LMK how everything is when you get it set up and are there any issues with the screen or ok?

kikkoman is online now  
post #167 of 180 Old 11-27-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TH3_FRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 1,373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Finally got my projector mounted but the screen is still down in the garage. It's going to be a pretty precise process to ensure I get enough throw and still clear the plasma when it drops down. I think I've managed to give myself 12'6" throw if I'm careful with the screen mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post
Good deal! Get busy!

You will be in HT bliss when you get that baby hung!
TH3_FRB is offline  
post #168 of 180 Old 11-27-2014, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
ben38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 691
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeline99 View Post
Unfortunately I've had nothing but problems with the tab tensioned VA apex screen...specifically with horizontal bands that run the width of the screen. VA support has been very responsive, but Im now on my 2nd screen with exactly the same problems. Im really so disappointed...in my current setup, the screen is integrated into a builtin bookcase, and swapping it out for another one is a huge undertaking.

Ive attached some pics which demonstrate the issue. Ive seen some references to using a hair dryer to try and eliminate the issue. Was anyone successful in doing so?
This looks like a screen that's been laying in it's housing for a good long time before it got to you. Not only does it have creases, but its tensioning looks weak. The bottom corner of your screen is developing a small wave.
It's a huge hassle having to change out your screen after you set it up, but these kind of creases probably wont go away completely over time or with a hair dryer. (You really want to run a hot dryer over a vinyl surface? Who knows what kind of accidental damage you might cause?) Don't try to fix a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place and run the risk of you voiding your warranty. You really need to get this screen replaced.
This is a gigantic inconvenience for you, i know. However, you should expect a certain level of quality for the screen that you paid good money for, and this screen doesn't meet that level of quality. I've seen cheapo non-tensioned manual screens that look better than yours. Call Visual Apex and make it very clear to them how much of a physical and time wasting burden this purchase has become. Tell them to have the screen replacement thoroughly tested to ensure that you wont have the same tensioning and creasing issues of the last two screens. Good Luck.
ben38 is online now  
post #169 of 180 Old 11-28-2014, 06:20 AM
Member
 
Lifeline99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ithaca, NY, USA
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
This looks like a screen that's been laying in it's housing for a good long time before it got to you. Not only does it have creases, but its tensioning looks weak. The bottom corner of your screen is developing a small wave.
It's a huge hassle having to change out your screen after you set it up, but these kind of creases probably wont go away completely over time or with a hair dryer. (You really want to run a hot dryer over a vinyl surface? Who knows what kind of accidental damage you might cause?) Don't try to fix a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place and run the risk of you voiding your warranty. You really need to get this screen replaced.
This is a gigantic inconvenience for you, i know. However, you should expect a certain level of quality for the screen that you paid good money for, and this screen doesn't meet that level of quality. I've seen cheapo non-tensioned manual screens that look better than yours. Call Visual Apex and make it very clear to them how much of a physical and time wasting burden this purchase has become. Tell them to have the screen replacement thoroughly tested to ensure that you wont have the same tensioning and creasing issues of the last two screens. Good Luck.
Yeah, man, I hear you..I had those exact same thoughts when I sent back the first unit. I asked them to inspect the second screen for me, given the complexity of my installation, but they told me it was impossible. I live in a 2br apartment in New York, so I had nowhere I could open the screen temporarily to inspect it other than the place it was to be installed. I would go for a third, but it would require coordination with the contractor who built the unit to extract the screen and put another one in...what a disappointment.

Remember Sammy Jankis.
Lifeline99 is offline  
post #170 of 180 Old 11-29-2014, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TH3_FRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 1,373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Got my 120" tensioned screen mounted today. It has some faint lines across it at what looks to be relatively regular intervals. The lower left corner is also not flat. I'm going to give it some time to hang unrolled before I try any adjustments.
TH3_FRB is offline  
post #171 of 180 Old 11-30-2014, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
ben38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 691
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3_FRB View Post
Got my 120" tensioned screen mounted today. It has some faint lines across it at what looks to be relatively regular intervals. The lower left corner is also not flat. I'm going to give it some time to hang unrolled before I try any adjustments.
This sounds exactly like the screen issues that Lifeline99 is wrestling with. Any more people with these type of issues? I really like VAPEX's fixed frame screens, but at this point, it's hard for me to recommend a VAPEX tab tensioned screen.
Of course, every company has issues with their screens from time to time. (Yes, even Stewart has had issues) What matters is how a company resolves those issues to the buyer's satisfaction.
To be fair, Visual Apex is very good about replacing defective screens, (And also to be fair, nothing is tougher for a screen company to get right than a Tab Tensioned screen) but if a defective screen is replaced with another defective screen, that doesn't help the buyer. They told lifeline99 that inspecting a screen for defects before shipping is not possible for them. Well, that's just not acceptable.
Again, to be fair, Visual Apex is a low cost screen company. Inspecting each screen for defects before shipping would not only take time, but would certainly be an expensive undertaking. An expense that would, in the end, be passed on to the buyer.
Unfortunately, in this day and age, replacing screens whenever there's a complaint of a defect is cheaper than hiring a couple of human beings full time to do inspections.
Hopefully, someone at Visual Apex is reading this so some changes can be made to their quality control. It's understood that change is hard. But something has to be done, or in the end, buyers will start looking to another company for their screens.
ben38 is online now  
post #172 of 180 Old 11-30-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TH3_FRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 1,373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I want to give it a chance. It has been sitting in the shipping box in my garage for 5-6 weeks. I have it hanging and dropped right now. The lines don't really look like creases. From the side theyvare tough to see. I'm more concerned aboutvthe waves in the bottom corners. This screen costs $500 more than the regular motoruzed version and I paid that premium specifucally to have the benefits of tensioning.
TH3_FRB is offline  
post #173 of 180 Old 12-03-2014, 09:14 PM
Senior Member
 
kikkoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I was too looking into VApex tab tensioned screens but if people are having issues, I may have to look elsewhere or find a way to work with a fixed screen. Anybody else have issues with their tab tensioned screen? I was planning on the 120" as well.

kikkoman is online now  
post #174 of 180 Old 12-12-2014, 05:31 PM
Newbie
 
inthemarket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looking to buy one of the fixed frame screen, 106". I read through all of this thread. but still want to get opinions before I click the "buy" button.

This is the one I am looking for. Currently, I have a DIY screen made of drop cloth. Just trying to see if I can upgrade to one of the below.

http://www.visualapex.com/Projector-...VAPEXPRO9106FF

Many thanks in advance!
inthemarket is offline  
post #175 of 180 Old 12-12-2014, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
ben38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 691
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemarket View Post
Looking to buy one of the fixed frame screen, 106". I read through all of this thread. but still want to get opinions before I click the "buy" button.

This is the one I am looking for. Currently, I have a DIY screen made of drop cloth. Just trying to see if I can upgrade to one of the below.

http://www.visualapex.com/Projector-...VAPEXPRO9106FF

Many thanks in advance!
I had a 120 inch Fixed Frame Vapex. Excellent screen with a rock solid frame.
ben38 is online now  
post #176 of 180 Old 12-12-2014, 07:04 PM
Member
 
Modicen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have the 100 inch motorized tab tension screen for 8 months now and love it. Zeroes issues so far. Hope I don't jinx myself now.
Modicen is offline  
post #177 of 180 Old 12-13-2014, 10:39 PM
Newbie
 
inthemarket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
thanks for replies. ordered one just now.
inthemarket is offline  
post #178 of 180 Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm considering the 110" Vapex fixed frame screen: http://www.visualapex.com/Projector-...VAPEXPRO9110FF

But I am also considering the Elite SableFrame 110" screen as well: http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-...xp_grid_pt_0_0

Being my first time purchasing a screen, I want to make the right choice. I really don't know what makes these two screens different from each other, aside from the Vapex screen being slightly more expensive and having a 4" border vs. the 2.5" border on the Elite.

I'm sure I'll be fine with either, but just wanted to know if anyone has had any head-to-head experience with these two brands. Like pros/cons of each.
Nalow is online now  
post #179 of 180 Unread Yesterday, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
ben38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 691
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalow View Post
I'm considering the 110" Vapex fixed frame screen: http://www.visualapex.com/Projector-...VAPEXPRO9110FF

But I am also considering the Elite SableFrame 110" screen as well: http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-...xp_grid_pt_0_0

Being my first time purchasing a screen, I want to make the right choice. I really don't know what makes these two screens different from each other, aside from the Vapex screen being slightly more expensive and having a 4" border vs. the 2.5" border on the Elite.

I'm sure I'll be fine with either, but just wanted to know if anyone has had any head-to-head experience with these two brands. Like pros/cons of each.
I've assembled an Elite Sableframe, an Elite EZ frame, and a VAPEX frame. All three frames go together the same way, but the Vapex frame is much stronger than the other two.
The EZ frame and the the Vapex both have good quality velvet borders. The Sable frame has sprayed on velvet borders that must be handled with more care, as the velvet can rub off.
The EZ frame and the Sable frame use a center bar to strengthen the frame. The Vapex frame is so strong, no center support is needed.
The Sable frame is round instead of squared off like the EZ frame and feels more flimsy as a result.

In terms of the white screen material. There doesn't seem to be much difference at all. Just basic white vinyl.

All three frames use the same rod and tab system to attach the material to the frame.
All three frames require a little muscle to attach the material, but the Vapex screen was the tightest fit by far. I blistered my fingers attaching the Vapex material. The other frames seemed easy by comparison.

Overall, I'd say the Vapex is the best frame. If 4 inches is too big a border for you, then I'd go with the EZ frame next, and the Sable frame last.
Of course, once you you have the frame assembled and mounted, the differences between the frames wont really matter.
Nalow likes this.
ben38 is online now  
post #180 of 180 Unread Today, 07:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
I've assembled an Elite Sableframe, an Elite EZ frame, and a VAPEX frame. All three frames go together the same way, but the Vapex frame is much stronger than the other two.
The EZ frame and the the Vapex both have good quality velvet borders. The Sable frame has sprayed on velvet borders that must be handled with more care, as the velvet can rub off.
The EZ frame and the Sable frame use a center bar to strengthen the frame. The Vapex frame is so strong, no center support is needed.
The Sable frame is round instead of squared off like the EZ frame and feels more flimsy as a result.

In terms of the white screen material. There doesn't seem to be much difference at all. Just basic white vinyl.

All three frames use the same rod and tab system to attach the material to the frame.
All three frames require a little muscle to attach the material, but the Vapex screen was the tightest fit by far. I blistered my fingers attaching the Vapex material. The other frames seemed easy by comparison.

Overall, I'd say the Vapex is the best frame. If 4 inches is too big a border for you, then I'd go with the EZ frame next, and the Sable frame last.
Of course, once you you have the frame assembled and mounted, the differences between the frames wont really matter.
That is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Thank you for taking the time to point out the differences between them all, I appreciate it!
Still have some thinking (and measuring) to do before I actually order anything. But I am leaning towards the Vapex frame right now.
Nalow is online now  
Reply Screens

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off