Official Visual Apex (VAPEX) Screen Thread - Page 7 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #181 of 236 Old 12-22-2014, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemarket View Post
thanks for replies. ordered one just now.
Quick update. I ordered 100" screen instead of 106". Received the screen last week and set it up. Pictures look awesome and installation was very easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 236 Old 01-04-2015, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Official Visual Apex (VAPEX) Screen Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldelo View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by jpmst3 [URL="http://www.avsforum.com/t/1500956/official-visual-apex-vapex-screen-thread#post_24025704"]
There are also a couple horizontal lines that I imagine might be because of being rolled up. I expect them to dissipate(hopefully).
Hey friend, I am noticing the same white horizontal lines on my 120" electric tension screen. Do they dissipate with time? Or do I have to put in for a replacement?

Thanks

My Home Theater Build: Geeky Talkies

Last edited by prince.nothing; 01-04-2015 at 11:16 PM.
post #183 of 236 Old 01-04-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvg75 View Post
I have noticed the same issue as a couple of you with the 120" tensioned electric Vapex screen that's hanging in my family room. Horizontal bands running across the length of the screen every 6-8 inches top to bottom, which shine in bright scenes depending on the viewing angle. This is with a replacement screen that VA sent me. I had noticed the problem with the first screen I received and VA customer service was pretty good at sending me a replacement screen.
But sadly, this seems to be a problem with how the screen is built. Something is pressing on the screen when its rolled up and creates the creases or bands. If you look at the back of the screen when its rolled down, you will clearly see the creases on the black surface.
I have arranged to have it shipped back for a refund. I am back to searching for a screen .

Looks like I will have to do the same. This is my third replacement and it's the same issue: horizontal white bands running along the center of the screen from the top to the bottom. These are visible from the MLP especially when lighter colors are being projected.

I should have checked this post before requesting the replacements, as the DHL delivery guy really hates me plus I've run out of friends who I can ask to help install the screen. I really wanted to use the visual apex screen because of the wireless trigger. Vapex customer service has been great, but like kvg75 says, this looks like a product issue.

Last edited by prince.nothing; 01-04-2015 at 11:19 PM.
post #184 of 236 Old 01-04-2015, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince.nothing View Post
Hey friend, I am noticing the same while horizontal lines on my 120" electric tension screen. Do they dissipate with time? Or do I have to put in for a replacement?

Thanks
Try to take a picture of your problem. What's all too noticeable to the naked eye may not show up in a photo, but give it your best shot. If the line (or lines) are so noticeable that they're a nuisance, the photo evidence should be enough to warrant a replacement.

The line might fade over time, it might not. A new tensioned screen shouldn't have any lines on the screen whatsoever. Just my feeling.
post #185 of 236 Old 01-04-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
Try to take a picture of your problem. What's all too noticeable to the naked eye may not show up in a photo, but give it your best shot. If the line (or lines) are so noticeable that they're a nuisance, the photo evidence should be enough to warrant a replacement.

The line might fade over time, it might not. A new tensioned screen shouldn't have any lines on the screen whatsoever. Just my feeling.

Thanks. I agree, a new screen shouldn't have these problems.

This is my third replacement (first had a small hole, the others had white bands) and it still has the issue. I guess I will call vapex and ask for a refund.

post #186 of 236 Old 01-04-2015, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Thanks. I agree, a new screen shouldn't have these problems.

This is my third replacement (first had a small hole, the others had white bands) and it still has the issue. I guess I will call vapex and ask for a refund.
I have the horizontal lines as well as pretty bad wrinkles in the lower left corner. I called tech support before the holidays and they told me how to adjust a screw that should help with the wrinkle but I haven't been able to make much improvement. I was under the impression that the tab-tension is supposed to avoid any sort of waves or wrinkles but apparently it is only intended to keep the side edges from curling. I'm definitely no satisfied with the product considering the premium I paid over the standard motorized version. It seems the banding issue is only showing up with 120" versions - anyone experience this with the 110 or 106?
post #187 of 236 Old 01-05-2015, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Hey friend, I am noticing the same white horizontal lines on my 120" electric tension screen. Do they dissipate with time? Or do I have to put in for a replacement?

Thanks
I got a replacement that didn't have the horizontal bands / lines. All is pretty well for me since.

post #188 of 236 Old 01-05-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldelo View Post
I got a replacement that didn't have the horizontal bands / lines. All is pretty well for me since.

That's great! What size is your tension screen?

post #189 of 236 Old 01-05-2015, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
That's great! What size is your tension screen?
120". My 2nd screen was damaged on arrival, 3rd was peachy though!

post #190 of 236 Old 01-05-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3_FRB View Post
I have the horizontal lines as well as pretty bad wrinkles in the lower left corner. I called tech support before the holidays and they told me how to adjust a screw that should help with the wrinkle but I haven't been able to make much improvement. I was under the impression that the tab-tension is supposed to avoid any sort of waves or wrinkles but apparently it is only intended to keep the side edges from curling. I'm definitely no satisfied with the product considering the premium I paid over the standard motorized version. It seems the banding issue is only showing up with 120" versions - anyone experience this with the 110 or 106?
Are you planning on keeping your current screen? I called customer support and told them that replacement still has the problem. They asked me to send it back and that they will issue a refund. If only the screen was as good as the Visual Apex customer support.

Question for all those who returned their vapex screens: what did you guys switch to? I am looking for a 120" electric tension screen.

post #191 of 236 Old 01-05-2015, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm calling back again tomorrow to request a replacement but I think I'll go with the standard motorized version and hope for it to work out. Seems these issues are all with the tensioned version for some reason. I've never had a tensioned screen before but I expected the lines to be more substantial and actually do something. I might be able to accept a $450 screen that isn't perfect but certainly not a $1050 screen.

Quote:
Are you planning on keeping your current screen? I called customer support and told them that replacement still has the problem. They asked me to send it back and that they will issue a refund. If only the screen was as good as the Visual Apex customer support.

Question for all those who returned their vapex screens: what did you guys switch to? I am looking for a 120" electric tension screen.
post #192 of 236 Old 01-10-2015, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I posted some pics a while back. Ive had the same problem with horizontal banding on a 106" screen. Had the problem with its replacement as well. Waiting on a 3rd. I would switch to a different product at this point, but unfortunately my screen is mounted inside a builtin bookcase which was designed around the dimensions of this particular unit....

Ive attach a pic of my issue for reference. I am extremely disappointed in the quality of this product. The people at Visual Apex have been nice, but have told me that there is no way for them to inspect the quality of the product before sending it to me, and I find this unacceptable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141226_123035.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	470273  

Remember Sammy Jankis.
post #193 of 236 Old 01-10-2015, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

You have some pretty bad waves in the lower corners as well. I have a regular motorized 110" on the way as a replacement for my 120" tensioned screen. Hopefully it doesn't have any issues but I can live with less than perfect much easier knowing it only cost my $320 vs $900. They are refunding me the difference as soon as I return the original screen parts they requested.
post #194 of 236 Old 01-10-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeline99 View Post
I posted some pics a while back. Ive had the same problem with horizontal banding on a 106" screen. Had the problem with its replacement as well. Waiting on a 3rd. I would switch to a different product at this point, but unfortunately my screen is mounted inside a builtin bookcase which was designed around the dimensions of this particular unit....

Ive attach a pic of my issue for reference. I am extremely disappointed in the quality of this product. The people at Visual Apex have been nice, but have told me that there is no way for them to inspect the quality of the product before sending it to me, and I find this unacceptable.

My screen lowers in front of a TV. So I had the contractor mount the brackets on "extrusions" which were fixed to the wall based on the dimensions of the visual apex screen. Changing screens would mean I would have to call the contractor again and pay him to move them based on another screens dimensions. Would also need to fill the holes in the wall and touch up the paint.

This is why I gave vapex four chances but all my screens had the white banding problem. I don't think I can go through this again, so I need to find another company.

post #195 of 236 Old 01-13-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
My screen lowers in front of a TV. So I had the contractor mount the brackets on "extrusions" which were fixed to the wall based on the dimensions of the visual apex screen. Changing screens would mean I would have to call the contractor again and pay him to move them based on another screens dimensions. Would also need to fill the holes in the wall and touch up the paint.

This is why I gave vapex four chances but all my screens had the white banding problem. I don't think I can go through this again, so I need to find another company.
Im waiting to hear back from them if they think this banding we're seeing is acceptable, and if not, what, if anything, are they doing to fix the problem. If they tell me they've found the problem with their production line and remedied it, then I think I would try another screen from them. Short of that, Im not sure why I would continue to try a replacement. I would advise anyone interested in purchasing a Visual Apex screen (particularly a tab-tensioned one) to steer clear until this is sorted out (if it ever is...)
prince.nothing likes this.

Remember Sammy Jankis.
post #196 of 236 Old 01-13-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Im waiting to hear back from them if they think this banding we're seeing is acceptable, and if not, what, if anything, are they doing to fix the problem. If they tell me they've found the problem with their production line and remedied it, then I think I would try another screen from them. Short of that, Im not sure why I would continue to try a replacement. I would advise anyone interested in purchasing a Visual Apex screen (particularly a tab-tensioned one) to steer clear until this is sorted out (if it ever is...)

Will be interesting to see if they admit it's a problem. They did not acknowledge it when I called. It's unfortunate as apart from the white bands it's a good screen.

I am considering getting either a mono price (tab tension), da-lite (non tension) or elunevision reference 4k screen (tab tension). Leaning towards the mono price and elunevision as it has the same mounting mechanism as the visual apex screen.

post #197 of 236 Old 01-13-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Will be interesting to see if they admit it's a problem. They did not acknowledge it when I called. It's unfortunate as apart from the white bands it's a good screen.

I am considering getting either a mono price (tab tension), da-lite (non tension) or elunevision reference 4k screen (tab tension). Leaning towards the mono price and elunevision as it has the same mounting mechanism as the visual apex screen.
I would consider the possibility that the monoprice screen and the VAPEX screen are the same Chinese screen rebranded...case dimensions the same?

Remember Sammy Jankis.
post #198 of 236 Old 01-13-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I would consider the possibility that the monoprice screen and the VAPEX screen are the same Chinese screen rebranded...case dimensions the same?

I have to check the dimensions. But the brackets and mounting mechanism is similar. The elunevision looks similar to the visual apex screen - even the wireless trigger looks the same.

post #199 of 236 Old 01-16-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
so, here is the response I received:

"Management is aware of the issue with the screen. Most of our customers are not running into this problem. There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to the issue. The only thing we can do is to either send you another screen or issue a refund. I do not have a way to verify that there isn’t anything wrong with the replacement before it ships. I wish there was. Please let us know how you would like to proceed."

so, no, they do not acknowledge the problem. I really have no idea what to do.

Remember Sammy Jankis.
post #200 of 236 Old 01-16-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
That's unfortunate. You and I have the same problem: we already have a housing for the screen designed for the dimensions/mounting mechanism of the vapex screen. That's why I gave visual apex four chances to get it right, and all four of them had issues. I have decided to look beyond vapex, and returned the parts of the three screens I had. I may have to hire a contractor to make changes to my HT. I hadn't planned on this expense, but I don't think I have it in me to carry another screen to the basement only to be disappointed again.

One of the screens I was really interested in is the monoprice 120" tab-tension screen, mainly because it uses a similar "L" bracket and its dimensions are close to the vapex screen. However, the online literature does not say how exactly to configure the drop. I chatted with two monoprice agents, one said that I couldn't adjust the drop while another said "We recommend contacting a professional to avoid any damage to the screen or motor from adjusting incorrectly". I need to check with the folks on the monoprice screen forum.

I contacted elunevision, and they said that they would check the screen before shipping it out to me. However, the tension screen was a little pricy and they said they couldn't ship a non-tension screen to the US (from Canada). They use the same "L" bracket as vapex so installation shouldn't be a huge issue.

I also contacted dalite and they sent me a sample of their matte white material. This is totally unlike the material used on the vapex screen. It's got a texture and can be cleaned using mild soap and water. The price of a tension dalite screen is way over my budget, so will have to get the non-tension screen. The price of which is comparable to the tension elunevision screen. The only problem with this is it uses a totally different mounting bracket from what visual apex does, so I will need to get considerable amount of work done to install it.

Decisions, decisions decisions!

post #201 of 236 Old 01-16-2015, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

"Management is aware of the issue with the screen"

What am I missing? They clearly acknowledge the issue but don't know what to do about it. The are very easy to work with and will quickly ship you a replacement if you want to try again or just take the refund. I realize ideally the product would be perfect from the start but it's not. I had them send me a regular motorized replacement for my 120" tensioned screen. They are issuing me a refund for the $500+ difference. Not many businesses ae so easy going with refunds...and I didn't even contact them about the issue until close to 3 months after I took delivery.

Quote:

old corps likes this.
post #202 of 236 Old 01-16-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
"Management is aware of the issue with the screen"

What am I missing? They clearly acknowledge the issue but don't know what to do about it. The are very easy to work with and will quickly ship you a replacement if you want to try again or just take the refund. I realize ideally the product would be perfect from the start but it's not. I had them send me a regular motorized replacement for my 120" tensioned screen. They are issuing me a refund for the $500+ difference. Not many businesses ae so easy going with refunds...and I didn't even contact them about the issue until close to 3 months after I took delivery.
I totally agree that the service is great and that they are very accommodating. My trouble is that I designed a cabinet around the dimensions of a screen for which there seems to be little to no quality control...if the problems were just a freak occurrence it seems odd that several folks on this thread would have received several consecutive defective screen replacements. Furthermore, Im troubled by the fact that they cant inspect the screen before sending it to me. Its costing me $$$ every time to get the contractors to come back and remove the old busted screen to installed a new busted screen.

All that said, I wouldnt hesitate to buy from Visual Apex again...I've spent a lot of money there over the years and will continue to do so. But I would not buy a Visual Apex branded product again.

Remember Sammy Jankis.
post #203 of 236 Old 01-17-2015, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Just hung the 110" motorized screen they sent as a replacement for the 120" tensioned version. Good news is it doesn't appear to have the bands across it. Not great news is that it isn't terribly flat but I don't think it's fair to judge yet. It's been sitting in the cold garage and hasn't had any time to hang. I'm going to drop it down before bed tonight and hopefully it will flatten out. Interesting that this one is considerable lighter - much more than the size difference would account for. The bottom weight bar is less substantial so that's part of it. I'll report back in a couple of days. My standards aren't as high for this one considering it only cost me $350 instead of almost $900 but it can't be all wavy. That would be a deal breaker.
post #204 of 236 Old 01-19-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Just hung the 110" motorized screen they sent as a replacement for the 120" tensioned version. Good news is it doesn't appear to have the bands across it. Not great news is that it isn't terribly flat but I don't think it's fair to judge yet. It's been sitting in the cold garage and hasn't had any time to hang. I'm going to drop it down before bed tonight and hopefully it will flatten out. Interesting that this one is considerable lighter - much more than the size difference would account for. The bottom weight bar is less substantial so that's part of it. I'll report back in a couple of days. My standards aren't as high for this one considering it only cost me $350 instead of almost $900 but it can't be all wavy. That would be a deal breaker.

So I guess the banding issue is only with the tension screens. I hope leaving the screen dropped overnight helped.

post #205 of 236 Old 01-19-2015, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Still wavy after hanging a reasonable amount of time. It's most noticeable with the projector off but I did catch it a few times last night. I'm on the fence about what to do. I fixed frame screen isn't really an option because I'd have to store it somewhere when not in use since it hangs in front of my plasma. Once I get the partial refund for my 120" tensioned screen I'll be in about $350 for this one. An Elite Screens 110" Spectrum electric is only $200 shipped from Amazon. I have no idea how the MaxWhite material compares to the VAPEX material but at this point I just want something that hangs flat and is motorized.
post #206 of 236 Old 01-20-2015, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Still wavy after hanging a reasonable amount of time. It's most noticeable with the projector off but I did catch it a few times last night. I'm on the fence about what to do. I fixed frame screen isn't really an option because I'd have to store it somewhere when not in use since it hangs in front of my plasma. Once I get the partial refund for my 120" tensioned screen I'll be in about $350 for this one. An Elite Screens 110" Spectrum electric is only $200 shipped from Amazon. I have no idea how the MaxWhite material compares to the VAPEX material but at this point I just want something that hangs flat and is motorized.
I was ready to order the package, 120 screen, BenQ 1075. After reading all your post, not sure if I want to go through the hassel. I wonder how many bad ones versus how many good ones. Maybe time to check out Elete.
post #207 of 236 Old 01-20-2015, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Honestly, I'd go a different route. The package prices are nice but the screen appears to be a crap shoot. I'm 0 for 2 with 2 different models and sizes. The risk is very minimal because the customer service is great so you'd only be out some time if it doesn't work out. Unfortunately, the fact that several of us have had so much interaction with customer service tells you something about the QA/QC of their house brand screens.
post #208 of 236 Old 01-21-2015, 04:24 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Honestly, I'd go a different route. The package prices are nice but the screen appears to be a crap shoot. I'm 0 for 2 with 2 different models and sizes. The risk is very minimal because the customer service is great so you'd only be out some time if it doesn't work out. Unfortunately, the fact that several of us have had so much interaction with customer service tells you something about the QA/QC of their house brand screens.
So, what other brands are you looking at? I need electric because it's going to be mounted above a gas fireplace.
post #209 of 236 Old 01-21-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhead2 View Post
So, what other brands are you looking at? I need electric because it's going to be mounted above a gas fireplace.

I'm more or less decided on the da-lite contour electrol. I'll have to go in for the non-tension screen as the tension one is waay over my budget. Just waiting for my refund from visual apex to come through before I make the purchase.

post #210 of 236 Old 01-21-2015, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I may just accept my regular motorized VAPEX screen for now. I really don't want to try another replacement and nothing else really fits my budget although I could still save another $150 if I completely bail on VAPEX screens and just grab a cheap Elite off eBay for now. I don't imagine the there is a significant difference in the PQ of the materials. I'm not particularly interested in paying $1k+ for a non-tensioned screen unless it helps deal with my less than ideal viewing environment. If Elite made the CineGrey 5D in a motorized of even manually retractable I'd consider trying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhead2 View Post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page