Official Visual Apex (VAPEX) Screen Thread - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #241 of 266 Old 04-23-2015, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3_FRB View Post
I have the horizontal lines as well as pretty bad wrinkles in the lower left corner. I called tech support before the holidays and they told me how to adjust a screw that should help with the wrinkle but I haven't been able to make much improvement. I was under the impression that the tab-tension is supposed to avoid any sort of waves or wrinkles but apparently it is only intended to keep the side edges from curling. I'm definitely no satisfied with the product considering the premium I paid over the standard motorized version. It seems the banding issue is only showing up with 120" versions - anyone experience this with the 110 or 106?
I have the problem with thhe 106"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 266 Old 04-23-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
Try to take a picture of your problem. What's all too noticeable to the naked eye may not show up in a photo, but give it your best shot. If the line (or lines) are so noticeable that they're a nuisance, the photo evidence should be enough to warrant a replacement.

The line might fade over time, it might not. A new tensioned screen shouldn't have any lines on the screen whatsoever. Just my feeling.
It's not going to fade. I would describe them more as an indentation. You can actually feel them on the screen. Some sort of pressure from the roller since they are spaced every 6" inches or so. And as a result of the pressure, there is a different matte to the screen where the lines are, so that the light from the projector is reflected differently line vs no line
post #243 of 266 Old 04-23-2015, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I don't know. I took it to show just how cheap these things are to make. The margins are probably huge, especially on the tensioned screens. Look at the price differential between the regular motorized and the tensioned version. The "engineering" associated with adding those strings and a different weight bar can't be worth that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckyhuddle View Post
I have to imagine they're losing some $$ on these. I would recommend staying away.
post #244 of 266 Old 04-23-2015, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

The bar doesn't retract into the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsntn99 View Post
Quick question for all you vapex screen owners. I just got a 110 inch electric screen and the weighted bar is longer than the slot in the case so it won't retract all the way. You can see in the pic of the left side, the bar is over an inch longer than the opening. Right side seems ok. None of my other 3 screens had this issue. Also, it seems this case in an inch shorter than the specs. Is this typical for these screens?
post #245 of 266 Old 04-23-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Try to take a picture of your problem. What's all too noticeable to the naked eye may not show up in a photo, but give it your best shot. If the line (or lines) are so noticeable that they're a nuisance, the photo evidence should be enough to warrant a replacement.

The line might fade over time, it might not. A new tensioned screen shouldn't have any lines on the screen whatsoever. Just my feeling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3_FRB View Post
I don't know. I took it to show just how cheap these things are to make. The margins are probably huge, especially on the tensioned screens. Look at the price differential between the regular motorized and the tensioned version. The "engineering" associated with adding those strings and a different weight bar can't be worth that much.
I had the same thought. I think they're losing money based on the number of replacements needed. But the fact that they don't want them back and I've thrown two in the garbage tells me there are huge margins on these.
post #246 of 266 Old 04-23-2015, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I still haven't disposed of that damn 10 foot-long metal case from the 120" that they replaced. I'll probably take a hack saw to it and chop it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckyhuddle View Post
I had the same thought. I think they're losing money based on the number of replacements needed. But the fact that they don't want them back and I've thrown two in the garbage tells me there are huge margins on these.
post #247 of 266 Old 05-20-2015, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
As an update I was sent a replacement 110 inch electric screen and it had even more damage on the left side of the screen as it was directly rubbing on the left side of the slot with absolutely no clearance whatsoever. I declined them sending a third screen since this appears to be a design issue. Otherwise the screen performed fine (based on the first one - didn't bother hanging the second one) although there were a few minor waves, not really noticeable except with pans. The motor was a little noisy going down, but not bad; however, quite noisy going up with the greater effort required. It seems much noisier than other electric screens I've had. The wireless trigger and remote worked fine.

As a last ditch effort they offered to send me a tensioned screen instead, and I went for it although I was a little worried based on the prior experience. The tensioned screen arrived fine with no damage. They have shipping braces on the screen to protect it whereas the non-tensioned doesn't. When I hung it I noticed the weight bar is a lot beefier and heavier than the non-tensioned screen. The bar weighs about 13 pounds versus 2 pounds on the non-tensioned screen so the screen overall is probably 12 or 13 pounds heavier. The accessories and case /endcaps seem to be identical between models, just the difference in the screen, case length (the tensioned case is longer), and weight bar. The up/down on the screen is a bit louder than the non-tensioned screen.

The non-tensioned screen appeared to be fiberglass or a much heavier/thicker material. The tensioned screen seems to be a fairly thin vinyl (probably to allow for the tensioning) and the tensioning came perfectly adjusted. The screen is perfectly flat, no waves whatsoever, so very happy with this. It may be a hair brighter as well. As others have mentioned there are horizontal lines about 8.5 inches apart, probably from the manufacturing process (rollers on the line?). The bands are only noticeable with light hitting the screen at an obtuse angle, about 45 degrees or less, and not visible at all on the projected image.

Overall I'm very happy with the tensioned screen and the customer service. Initially the shipping company would not deliver to my house since there is a sign about truck limits into my neighborhood, but delivery trucks come by all the time. Visual Apex called the company and told them to bring the last screen directly to my house no matter what. It was kind of funny, but the delivery guy shows up in his bosses land cruiser with my screen in it. I hope they can address the issues since for the price, I think these are good screens and they do their best to please their customers.
Modicen likes this.

Last edited by bsntn99; 05-27-2015 at 06:35 PM.
post #248 of 266 Old 06-18-2015, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ordered a VAPEX 120" tab-tension screen. Screen came in a sturdy box with no damage to the aluminum case or end caps. Got it hung tonight and the screen is perfect no waves or defects. Really impressed with the quality of the product and i'm very happy.
Modicen likes this.
post #249 of 266 Old 09-03-2015, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm thinking of getting the vapex 100" tab tensioned electric drop down model and had two questions.

First is if these screens can be ceiling hung (with hooks and chains).

Second is if these screens are 4k comparable. Trying to future proof to avoid extra spending and the comparable elite screens I'm looking at specifically say that they are 4k ready.

Thanks!
post #250 of 266 Old 09-03-2015, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hi nitro, I have this same screen and love it, no problems what's so ever. I have had it for over a year now. I have it hanging from my ceiling by hooks and chains with no issues. As far as being 4K I have no idea if it does or not. I hope this helps you a little.
post #251 of 266 Old 09-04-2015, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modicen View Post
Hi nitro, I have this same screen and love it, no problems what's so ever. I have had it for over a year now. I have it hanging from my ceiling by hooks and chains with no issues. As far as being 4K I have no idea if it does or not. I hope this helps you a little.
Definitely helpful. Thanks!

I emailed a Visual Apex rep about the 4k question and this was his response:

"Yes, they will be fine with 4K Res, there are some out there claiming they are better at 4K, just not sure if they are or not….."

So I guess I can take that as it will physically work but probably wont be as good quality as the newer screens that are made with 4k in mind. With that said, for the price they are asking I guess I shouldn't be expecting anything more than that.
post #252 of 266 Old 10-14-2015, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thinking about buying a 135 inch fixed frame screen from them. Any horror stories I should know about before pulling the trigger?
post #253 of 266 Old 10-15-2015, 01:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarablue View Post
Thinking about buying a 135 inch fixed frame screen from them. Any horror stories I should know about before pulling the trigger?
Their fixed frame screens are really good. Very strong frame. (Much stronger than my Elite EZ frame)
The biggest issue i had with the VAPEX frame was attaching the material to the frame. The material is super tight. I had blistered fingers when i was finished. I put it together by myself, but i would recommend you get a friend to help. Especially when you have to hang the frame. Good Luck.
post #254 of 266 Old 10-23-2015, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Their fixed frame screens are really good. Very strong frame. (Much stronger than my Elite EZ frame)
The biggest issue i had with the VAPEX frame was attaching the material to the frame. The material is super tight. I had blistered fingers when i was finished. I put it together by myself, but i would recommend you get a friend to help. Especially when you have to hang the frame. Good Luck.
Any tips on getting the fabric to stretch? I'd hate to wind up with blistered fingers. I understand it needs to be taut though. Do I stretch it first in the middle of the long part then work outwards? Then do the sides?

Thanks.
post #255 of 266 Old 12-09-2015, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
delete

Last edited by pas123; 12-09-2015 at 09:28 AM.
post #256 of 266 Old 12-14-2015, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Anyone tried Pro Grey 5D Screens?

Does anyone own a Pro Grey 5D Screen? What are your impressions?
post #257 of 266 Old 12-20-2015, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by avs2099 View Post
Does anyone own a Pro Grey 5D Screen? What are your impressions?
Im curious about these as well.
post #258 of 266 Old 12-21-2015, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just received my 135" VAPEX Fixed Frame this morning. It took me about 1.5 hours to assemble the frame and stretch the screen into place. Still need to hang it but it looks really nice and well built. I didn't encounter to much difficulty in stretching the last bottom in place although the last couple of clips at the ends were tough to get in place. Their included instructions could be a bit more detailed, especially regarding stretching the screen and where to start. I watch their video to pick up the fact that you start in the middle of one side, work out, move to the second side, then top followed by the bottom.
post #259 of 266 Old 12-21-2015, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 70
looking into getting a 92" tensioned screen in February but was wondering I have a sloped ceiling so I need a screen I can mount the screen at the edge of the flat part as the only contact point; can I do this with the included L brackets or do I need any additional hardware? Also have the ripple and fold line issues been resolved?

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato

Last edited by swarm87; 12-21-2015 at 08:44 PM.
post #260 of 266 Old 12-26-2015, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post
Im curious about these as well.

I'll throw my hat in the ring as being interested as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #261 of 266 Old 12-28-2015, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone had any experience or reviews on the Visual Apex tension screens?

They have a pretty good deal right now for a Epson 5030 + 110inch tension electric screen for $2607 total (also includes mount and other small goodies)

Thanks!
post #262 of 266 Old 01-16-2016, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
What about the Bright Vision Grey 5D fixed screens? Anybody try it out yet?

I unfold the scroll, plant seeds to stampede the globe
When I'm deceased, by then the beast arise like yeast
to conquer peace leaving savages to roam in the streets.

Last edited by MJ DOOM; 01-16-2016 at 12:17 PM.
post #263 of 266 Old 01-19-2016, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I love my 126" screen that I mounted on a barn door rolling platform to get to my storage room in the back. Quality is very high and the assembly is pretty easy.

post #264 of 266 Old 05-09-2016, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hello,
Wondering if anybody had any experience with this issue. My 3 year old 120" Electric Screen broke down yesterday, it made a couple of cracking noise and stopped working.
Fortunately it broke while the screen was rolled down and not up, so I can still use it. Is it easy to open the screen to see what happened? How difficult will be to try to fix it?
I believe the warranty is already due by now.

Thanks

Last edited by Manamb; 05-09-2016 at 08:02 AM.
post #265 of 266 Old 05-11-2016, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

If you are lucky it's just the motor. The end with the plug contains the motor and can be removed. If the motor still runs but the screen doesn't go up or down it could be a gear or something that turns the tube inside the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manamb View Post
Hello,
Wondering if anybody had any experience with this issue. My 3 year old 120" Electric Screen broke down yesterday, it made a couple of cracking noise and stopped working.
Fortunately it broke while the screen was rolled down and not up, so I can still use it. Is it easy to open the screen to see what happened? How difficult will be to try to fix it?
I believe the warranty is already due by now.

Thanks
post #266 of 266 Old 05-11-2016, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks TH3.
The motor doesn't make a sound, so I guess its the culprit. I'll try to take it apart and test it outside the case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page