Official Visual Apex (VAPEX) Screen Thread - Page 9 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #241 of 247 Old 04-23-2015, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3_FRB View Post
I have the horizontal lines as well as pretty bad wrinkles in the lower left corner. I called tech support before the holidays and they told me how to adjust a screw that should help with the wrinkle but I haven't been able to make much improvement. I was under the impression that the tab-tension is supposed to avoid any sort of waves or wrinkles but apparently it is only intended to keep the side edges from curling. I'm definitely no satisfied with the product considering the premium I paid over the standard motorized version. It seems the banding issue is only showing up with 120" versions - anyone experience this with the 110 or 106?
I have the problem with thhe 106"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 247 Old 04-23-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
Try to take a picture of your problem. What's all too noticeable to the naked eye may not show up in a photo, but give it your best shot. If the line (or lines) are so noticeable that they're a nuisance, the photo evidence should be enough to warrant a replacement.

The line might fade over time, it might not. A new tensioned screen shouldn't have any lines on the screen whatsoever. Just my feeling.
It's not going to fade. I would describe them more as an indentation. You can actually feel them on the screen. Some sort of pressure from the roller since they are spaced every 6" inches or so. And as a result of the pressure, there is a different matte to the screen where the lines are, so that the light from the projector is reflected differently line vs no line
post #243 of 247 Old 04-23-2015, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I don't know. I took it to show just how cheap these things are to make. The margins are probably huge, especially on the tensioned screens. Look at the price differential between the regular motorized and the tensioned version. The "engineering" associated with adding those strings and a different weight bar can't be worth that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckyhuddle View Post
I have to imagine they're losing some $$ on these. I would recommend staying away.
post #244 of 247 Old 04-23-2015, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

The bar doesn't retract into the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsntn99 View Post
Quick question for all you vapex screen owners. I just got a 110 inch electric screen and the weighted bar is longer than the slot in the case so it won't retract all the way. You can see in the pic of the left side, the bar is over an inch longer than the opening. Right side seems ok. None of my other 3 screens had this issue. Also, it seems this case in an inch shorter than the specs. Is this typical for these screens?
post #245 of 247 Old 04-23-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
Try to take a picture of your problem. What's all too noticeable to the naked eye may not show up in a photo, but give it your best shot. If the line (or lines) are so noticeable that they're a nuisance, the photo evidence should be enough to warrant a replacement.

The line might fade over time, it might not. A new tensioned screen shouldn't have any lines on the screen whatsoever. Just my feeling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3_FRB View Post
I don't know. I took it to show just how cheap these things are to make. The margins are probably huge, especially on the tensioned screens. Look at the price differential between the regular motorized and the tensioned version. The "engineering" associated with adding those strings and a different weight bar can't be worth that much.
I had the same thought. I think they're losing money based on the number of replacements needed. But the fact that they don't want them back and I've thrown two in the garbage tells me there are huge margins on these.
post #246 of 247 Old 04-23-2015, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I still haven't disposed of that damn 10 foot-long metal case from the 120" that they replaced. I'll probably take a hack saw to it and chop it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckyhuddle View Post
I had the same thought. I think they're losing money based on the number of replacements needed. But the fact that they don't want them back and I've thrown two in the garbage tells me there are huge margins on these.
post #247 of 247 Old Today, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As an update I was sent a replacement 110 inch electric screen and it had even more damage on the left side of the screen as it was directly rubbing on the left side of the slot with absolutely no clearance whatsoever. I declined them sending a third screen since this is a design issue and gave them my thoughts on fixing this.

Otherwise the screen performed fine (based on the first one - didn't bother hanging the second one) although there were a few minor waves, not really noticeable except with pans. The motor was a little noisy going down, but not bad; however, quite noisy going up with the greater effort required. It seems much noisier than other electric screens I've had. The wireless trigger and remote worked fine.

As a last ditch effort they offered to send me a tensioned screen instead, and I went for it although I was a little worried based on the prior experience. The tensioned screen arrived fine with no damage. They have shipping braces on the screen to protect it whereas the non-tensioned doesn't. When I hung it I noticed the weight bar is a lot beefier and heavier than the non-tensioned screen. The bar weighs about 13 pounds versus 2 pounds on the non-tensioned screen so the screen overall is probably 12 or 13 pounds heavier. The accessories and case /endcaps seem to be identical between models, just the difference in the screen, case length (the tensioned case is longer), and weight bar. The up/down on the screen is a bit louder than the non-tensioned screen.

The non-tensioned screen appeared to be fiberglass or a much heavier/thicker material. The tensioned screen seems to be a fairly thin vinyl (probably to allow for the tensioning) and the tensioning came perfectly adjusted. The screen is perfectly flat, no waves whatsoever, so very happy with this. It may be a hair brighter as well. As others have mentioned there are horizontal lines about 8.5 inches apart, probably from the manufacturing process (rollers on the line?). The bands are only noticeable with light hitting the screen at an obtuse angle, about 45 degrees or less, and not visible at all on the projected image.

Overall I'm very happy with the tensioned screen and the customer service. Initially the shipping company would not deliver to my house since there is a sign about truck limits into my neighborhood, but delivery trucks come by all the time. Visual Apex called the company and told them to bring the last screen directly to my house no matter what. It was kind of funny, but the delivery guy shows up in his bosses land cruiser with my screen in it. I hope they can address the issues since for the price, I think these are good screens and they do their best to please their customers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens