Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 155 Old 11-21-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
smile.gif
I could not find much info regarding user experiences with VAPEX screens so I thought it might be beneficial to start a thread for owners.

Well, I decided to move forward with a VAPEX 106" tab-tensioned screen and an Epson 5030UB.

I hope the quality of the screen is decent because you sure can't beat the feature set for the money!cool.gif

I will post more as soon as I get it.

Please post your experiences here!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 155 Old 11-22-2013, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

smile.gif
I could not find much info regarding user experiences with VAPEX screens so I thought it might be beneficial to start a thread for owners.

Well, I decided to move forward with a VAPEX 106" tab-tensioned screen and an Epson 5030UB.

I hope the quality of the screen is decent because you sure can't beat the feature set for the money!cool.gif

I will post more as soon as I get it.

Please post your experiences here!

I owned the 135" fixed with the velvet border and it was a very nice screen shooting my old 8700ub.

I think the gain was 1.1 .

The assembly was straight forward, but the instructions were not so good. When assembling make sure to have a battery powered screw driver as theres a lot of screws to put into the aluminum frame. smile.gif

Please let us know your thoughts on the tab tension electric screen as my new project I plan to probably go that route since I want to wall mount my 50" plasma on the wall and use the electric screen to come down over the 50" on more serious movie nights biggrin.gif

\m/ Hook'em Horns!

==========
Work for a Cause, Not for Applause. Live Life to Express, Not to Impress.
Don’t Strive to make your Presence Noticed,
Just make your Absence Felt. -Unknown
post #3 of 155 Old 11-22-2013, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post

Please let us know your thoughts on the tab tension electric screen as my new project I plan to probably go that route since I want to wall mount my 50" plasma on the wall and use the electric screen to come down over the 50" on more serious movie nights biggrin.gif

Will do. Mine will be lowering in front of a 58" Panny plasma. I sure hope it works well and there are no hassles.

post #4 of 155 Old 12-01-2013, 05:36 AM
a|F

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
What were your thoughts on the vapex?
post #5 of 155 Old 12-01-2013, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I should have mine tomorrow or Tuesday. I will update as soon as it arrives.

Shipping has been slower than expected.

UPDATE: DHL screwed everything up, not until Wednesday.

post #6 of 155 Old 12-02-2013, 05:03 AM

Liked: 10
I ordered the 120" tensioned electric. I should have it this Tuesday. Very much looking forward to it!

post #7 of 155 Old 12-03-2013, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldelo View Post

I ordered the 120" tensioned electric. I should have it this Tuesday. Very much looking forward to it!

Cool! I hope you have better luck with your shipment than I did. Mine has been over 2 weeks now and is still screwed up.

post #8 of 155 Old 12-04-2013, 04:46 AM

Quote:

Cool! I hope you have better luck with your shipment than I did. Mine has been over 2 weeks now and is still screwed up.

I got my screen yesterday and installed it along with shelf mounting my projector. Only two small issues so far. The bottom left and right of the screen have some waves. This might be due to me not cranking down the screen hard enough but I am worried about pulling it too hard for now. There are also a couple horizontal lines that I imagine might be because of being rolled up. I expect them to dissipate(hopefully).

Attached are some cell phone pics with my buddy in them. It was late by the time we finished, I can take better or more detailed pictures if desired.

The only remaining issue I have is getting the remote trigger to work with my Sony HW50ES.

With that the projector and screen seem awesome. 120" works out really well even for my slightly shorter distances, roughly 12' 2" from screen to lens on just the x axis. Actual throw distance is longer of course.

This is both my first projector and screen, so the overall awesome factor is still overwhelming.

post #9 of 155 Old 12-04-2013, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nice!

It looks great! You are fortunate to be able to fit the 120 in. I had to settle for the 106 in my space.

I hope you can get any kinks worked out. Remember you only have a couple of days to report any issues for paid return.

post #10 of 155 Old 12-04-2013, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mine finally arrived, albeit 5 days late. Sheesh!

But, the box is in pristine condition, thankfully. I will start unboxing shortly.

post #11 of 155 Old 12-04-2013, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, got it unboxed and mounted. Excellently packaged and had no shipping damage. There are a couple of small scratches on the back of the casing, but they are on the back and are not even noticeable after a touch with the sharpee.

The mounting system is top notch with full length sliding brackets. There is a lot of value for the money.

post #12 of 155 Old 12-05-2013, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Adjusting the screen height was uber easy and the remote worked flawlessly. As soon as the projector arrives I will be able to try the remote trigger. I am very pleased thus far. smile.gif

post #13 of 155 Old 12-05-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:

Adjusting the screen height was uber easy and the remote worked flawlessly. As soon as the projector arrives I will be able to try the remote trigger. I am very pleased thus far. smile.gif

Awesome! Did you have any creases in the center of the screen or waves in the bottom corners? How hard have your cranked down your screen do you think?

post #14 of 155 Old 12-05-2013, 06:32 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Awesome! Did you have any creases in the center of the screen or waves in the bottom corners? How hard have your cranked down your screen do you think?

Hi, I am seriously considering either the 106 or 120 tensioned. I was almost pulling the trigger on an Elite tensioned screen, but saw a lot of complaints about waves appearing on the bottom part of the screen within few months so no looking for alternatives.

Q1: Have the creases you mentioned in the center and waves at the corners reduced at all yet?

Q2: I am going to ceiling mount and would like to try to hide the wiring withing the ceiling or under thin "cable runner tubes" (don't know what they are really called smile.gif ). Do you think the power cord can be run up directly into the ceiling through a hole or into one of those cable runners without the plug showing on the side? On their site in the video it seems the power plug sticks out and looks a bit ugly and cheap (err... wonder why... lol.. this thing really looks like a bargain).
post #15 of 155 Old 12-05-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viipottaja View Post

Hi, I am seriously considering either the 106 or 120 tensioned. I was almost pulling the trigger on an Elite tensioned screen, but saw a lot of complaints about waves appearing on the bottom part of the screen within few months so no looking for alternatives.

Q1: Have the creases you mentioned in the center and waves at the corners reduced at all yet?

Q2: I am going to ceiling mount and would like to try to hide the wiring withing the ceiling or under thin "cable runner tubes" (don't know what they are really called smile.gif ). Do you think the power cord can be run up directly into the ceiling through a hole or into one of those cable runners without the plug showing on the side? On their site in the video it seems the power plug sticks out and looks a bit ugly and cheap (err... wonder why... lol.. this thing really looks like a bargain).

The screen has been up for a day and a half or so. The creases / waves have not dissipated. I have emailed their support to see if the creases are normal, which I kinda expect that they are and will go away. I also have not re-adjusted the tensioning, that is probably the issue for the waves. Both issues were included in my email to them.

As for the power cord I didn't look at it too much after I plugged it in. I can get you a picture when I get back home, as that will speak for itself.

Overall it seems great and I imagine I'll get the issues figured out.

post #16 of 155 Old 12-05-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:

The screen has been up for a day and a half or so. The creases / waves have not dissipated. I have emailed their support to see if the creases are normal, which I kinda expect that they are and will go away. I also have not re-adjusted the tensioning, that is probably the issue for the waves. Both issues were included in my email to them.

As for the power cord I didn't look at it too much after I plugged it in. I can get you a picture when I get back home, as that will speak for itself.

Overall it seems great and I imagine I'll get the issues figured out.

Thanks! Having now read that a grey screen would be better in my type of room (i.e. not 100% dark always and with white ceiling etc.), I might take the risk with an Elite Cinetension2... Or, go El Cheapo and get a non-tensioned one and get a better one in a year or two when the wife has forgotten how much I have sepnt so far.. :P Darn this is hard. biggrin.gif
post #17 of 155 Old 12-05-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:

Thanks! Having now read that a grey screen would be better in my type of room (i.e. not 100% dark always and with white ceiling etc.), I might take the risk with an Elite Cinetension2... Or, go El Cheapo and get a non-tensioned one and get a better one in a year or two when the wife has forgotten how much I have sepnt so far.. :P Darn this is hard. biggrin.gif

Ehh don't go el cheapo. It will drive you nuts I'm sure. Do you want to deal with the pain of nagging once or twice wink.gif

post #18 of 155 Old 12-05-2013, 10:52 AM

heh, yeah, I meant more like going for a $399 one now and then getting a $2000+ one in-ceiling one next year, rather than getinng a $899 one now and still getting the expensive one next year, with nagging or not. smile.gif
post #19 of 155 Old 12-05-2013, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have not noticed any as of yet. However, I have yet to get a really good look at it with in the daylight. My room is pretty dark naturally.
I have not adjusted the tensioning part of it all yet.

post #20 of 155 Old 12-05-2013, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The cord is noticeable if viewed from the side. I ran my directly back long the screen tube and tethered it to the mounting brackets.

post #21 of 155 Old 12-05-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:

Ehh don't go el cheapo. It will drive you nuts I'm sure. Do you want to deal with the pain of nagging once or twice wink.gif

Any progress on those wrinkles/waves? smile.gif

ONE more important question - is the screen material well lined in the back so that there is no light coming through - I will have a window behind the screen and while it has plantation shutters, especially in the summer some bright strips of light still can be seen.

Btw, they have cyberweek deal of 10% discount. smile.gif
post #22 of 155 Old 12-05-2013, 09:49 PM

Here are some pics of the power cable and of my waves. I also noticed that the creases are more like horizontal hotspots. My buddy couldn't see them until he sat in my seat. I am essentially dead center and can see them. These two issues are a bit unacceptable to me so we will see what they say.

The back of the material is solid black. You would need some powerful light to get through.

post #23 of 155 Old 12-06-2013, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here are some pics of the power cable and of my waves. I also noticed that the creases are more like horizontal hotspots. My buddy couldn't see them until he sat in my seat. I am essentially dead center and can see them. These two issues are a bit unacceptable to me so we will see what they say.

The back of the material is solid black. You would need some powerful light to get through.

Visual Apex customer service is pretty good, so I can't imagine them not taking care of the issue in any way they can.
I hope you get it sorted out.

I will try to project an image onto mine later this evening, that is if the complete idiots at DHL can deliver the projector.mad.gif

post #24 of 155 Old 12-06-2013, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Projector finally came in!
I am very pleased with the picture and will post some pix shortly.

The wireless trigger was preconfigured out of the box. I didn't even have to sync it up, bonus. It really is slick having the screen lower when the projector powers up!cool.gif

post #25 of 155 Old 12-07-2013, 05:16 AM

Quote:

Projector finally came in!
I am very pleased with the picture and will post some pix shortly.

The wireless trigger was preconfigured out of the box. I didn't even have to sync it up, bonus. It really is slick having the screen lower when the projector powers up!cool.gif

Congrats!! Any waving/lines/other probs with the screen so far?

I am now 99% likely to pull the thigger on the 120 VApex later today, latest tomorrow, to get their 10% discount offer. smile.gif
post #26 of 155 Old 12-07-2013, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Congrats!! Any waving/lines/other probs with the screen so far?

I am now 99% likely to pull the thigger on the 120 VApex later today, latest tomorrow, to get their 10% discount offer. smile.gif

Thanks! It looks amazing!

No, no issues whatsoever. It is a great value with so many features. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

post #27 of 155 Old 12-08-2013, 02:37 PM

I ordered mine yesterday! Still didn't get the projector though, still being ordered by B&H from Panasonic.. come on, get it to me! If I don't get it by Xmas I will be a very sad little boy on Xmas eve. biggrin.gif
post #28 of 155 Old 12-08-2013, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nice! I think you will be pleased!

I sure hope you get your PJ before the holidays. That would be a bummer!

post #29 of 155 Old 12-09-2013, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here are a couple of pix taken with an iPhone 5, no zoom at all. Not the best pictures taken with my phone but at least you can see the contrast and brightness to a degree.
There are a couple of lamps on in the room. You can tell I moved a little too if you look at the lights from the components at the bottom.

Not the best pix, did not pause. I will try to get a couple better and steady-handed ones.

post #30 of 155 Old 12-09-2013, 09:41 AM

Well the tech support from VApex had me loosen the strings as well as the silver screws on the bottom bar to try to relieve my bottom corner wave problem. It will sit for a number of days and hopefully the screen will fix itself.

Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page