Velvet or not velvet ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-21-2013, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi guys .. So I talked with Craig Peer today, and he recommended me the 119" 16:9 Da-Lite HD Progressive 1.3 Gain Fixed Frame screen to go with my JVC RS-46 + budget Optoma combination.

He recommended me two versions of the above mentioned screen:

The one with Velvet:

http://www.da-lite.com/products/product.php?cID=20&pID=234

And the one without it:

http://www.da-lite.com/products/product.php?cID=20&pID=95

The one WITH Velvet is about $300 or so more expensive.

I'll be going with one of these two screens, but I'm not sure with one. Can you guys maybe suggest which one ? Craig said the one with Velvet probably does improve picture quality slightly, but is it worth the $300 addition ?

My throw distance is about 17 feet, for a 119" 16:9 screen, in a 95% light controlled room, with dark grey/black walls, ceiling, floor ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-22-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
No one but you can answer if the $300 is "worth it" but I've always recommended screens with velvet. It gives you more leeway with sizing the image and accounting for any issues with not being able to mask blanking crap on TV broadcasts. It sounds like you are going to the trouble of controlling light in the room, so I would say, yes, get the velvet.

B.
Craig Peer likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-24-2013, 01:29 PM

Liked: 10
I've owned both plain black and velvet covered screen frames. I have never been able to see where the velvet improves picture quality.

My screen is in a multipurpose room so I see it often when it is not in use.

I prefer the plain black look.

I also prefer the narrower look of the 1-1/2" square tubing (Da-Snap), although with this, to avoid shadowing, your projector can't positioned above or below the screen.

Again, this is in a multipurpose room.

Karl S.
post #4 of 4 Old 11-25-2013, 02:01 PM

Liked: 11
I think there's more than just the velvet. It might be a little tricky, but you could always apply velvet yourself for less than $40 bucks in velvet. The more expensive one has a bevel that lays flat to the screen material and will not cast any shadows, as karlsch referenced for the Da-Snap. The slightly wider velvet gives you more room for overscan, and may absorb it better than the powder coat finish. That's the only thing I can think of for improving picture quality is if the overscan reflects off the finish more than velvet. It would be more noticeable in a light controlled environment. Anyway, I think the $300 extra is a little more than just velvet. As Brian B said, if you went through the trouble of making your room light controlled, you'd hate to be thwarted by unexpected shadows or a frame that brightens up. Just my two cents, good luck!

MM
Reply Screens

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page