Has ANYONE tried the Elite Cinegrey 5D screen yet? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 138 Old 04-18-2014, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
With light conditions seems to work well , how do you feel about it in dark conditions ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 138 Old 04-18-2014, 09:45 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by quamosa View Post

Thanks for the pics. The screen looks great. Typically you get what you pay for but I think this is one situation where you get a little more than what you paid for. Its definitely viewable based on your pics and I would imagine even more so in person as well as with a projector with more lumens. My projector will be mounted in a soffit 18 feet from the screen and my screen will be about 12.5 inches down from the ceiling. I wonder if this distance and height will help with the hotspotting. How far is your projector from the screen and is it ceiling mounted?

It's ceiling mounted 12 feet from the screen. I think with more distance you'll reduce the hotspotting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmilk516 View Post

Looks good thank you for the update : ) . Do you find that from like a 45 degree angle thugs get distorted ?

If you mean side to side angles, it dims slightly but is perfectly watchable at least to 45 degrees. That was one of the things I was worried about, but proved not to be an issue.
Quote:

With light conditions seems to work well , how do you feel about it in dark conditions ?

That last pic is actually with two lamps on, so needless to say I'm very pleased with it in a darker room. I won't go as far as saying it looks just like my brother's 65" Panny plasma, but it's not as far off as you may think.

I think that once I have to replace the PJ's lamp, it will improve further. One thing I don't like about it is the back of the screen is not black. Therefore, I get light bleed through from the window behind the screen until the sun goes down. Time for some blinds or something.
post #33 of 138 Old 04-18-2014, 09:54 AM

I thought they blacked it the back of all there screens , does not this one , I think it can be self Magivered with black felt on the back of the screen or something . You got me sold I'm going to pick up a 110" 5D from B&H : )
post #34 of 138 Old 04-18-2014, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Finally have some time to write. I second ruggercb. This Screen is not the holy grail, but it is a big improvement over a white screen in a room with ambient light.

This screen is a replacement for my very good Vapex screen. The Vapex's white screen gave a very bright, even picture, but simply couldn't fight ambient light.
In the morning, my living room catches a blinding amount of sun. Even with blackout shades and thick drapes, the room would block out the sun, but the room would never get completely dark. The baking sun would would bear down on the shades and drapes creating a sort of soft glow that gave the room a slight amount of warm light. So, during the morning hours, i would get a decent picture, but not a great picture. My white ceiling didn't help matters either. After getting the green light from my wife to get a different screen, i ordered the Cinegrey 5D.

After the UPS man delivered the new screen, I immediately ripped open the box to start assembling the new screen.

The first thing that struck me was that even though this screen cost 320 dollars more than my Vapex screen, the frame was not nearly as thick and strong. Don't get me wrong. The EZ Frame is good quality, but the Vapex frame is so strong It doesn't need a center support bar like the EZ Frame does.

Assembly of the frame was quick and easy. Attaching the material was the exact same rod and tab system as the Vapex, but was a little looser and easier to complete. (The Vapex was so tight it left me with blistered fingers.) Total assembly time was 50 minutes by myself.

Since I already had brackets on my wall, i simply loosened the screws and switched out the Vapex brackets for the EZ Frame ones. (Could not put the frame on using the Vapex brackets, so i was forced to switch.) 10 minutes later, I had the new screen on the wall. Putting the screen on the wall alone is doable, but much easier with two people.

As you can see, the screen is a very dark, silvery gray. Here's how the screen looks like in the morning with the shades and drapes down. The screen is close to being black.(Looks like a giant Plasma TV.)

With the drapes open, I can get a less than ideal, but still watchable picture. Under this circumstance, the Vapex white screen was completely unwatchable.

With the drapes closed, and the shades all the way down, the picture really comes to life.

With lights coming from the kitchen, the picture is still very punchy, with great contrast.

I couldn't photograph it, but the screen has a definite sweet spot where you'll get the brightest image. I wouldn't call it a pronounced hotspot as I've seen on other high gain screens. It's just that the screen is brighter if you're seated at the middle of the screen. I brought my penthouse neighbor over to see the screen, (He has a Da-lite high gain, high power screen) and he came to the conclusion that the screen was too high up on the wall and my sofa was too close. After moving the screen 8 inches lower and 2 inches to the left, we moved the sofa back about a foot so it's now 13 feet away. the improvement was huge and I learned that these light reflecting screens need to be placed just so in relation to the projector and the viewers seating position.
After spending the next hour recalibrating the projector using the Disney WoW disc, we sat down to watch the new "FROZEN" bluray. We were Ooooing and Ahhhing all the way through. Terriffic brightness. Great contrast. Great Color. Great Detail. And no apparent screen pattern or sparkles..

To sum up: I love this screen. It's not perfect. I'm sure it's not as good as the Screen Innovations or DNP screens. But at a quarter of the price, this screen is a dynamite value. Highly recommended.
quamosa likes this.
post #35 of 138 Old 04-18-2014, 10:34 AM

Forgot to mention. The back of the screen is not black. Its the same grey as the front. There's a small label at one of the corners named "Back"
post #36 of 138 Old 04-18-2014, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post

Forgot to mention. The back of the screen is not black. Its the same grey as the front. There's a small label at one of the corners named "Back"

These are some really good pics of the screen. I cant wait to get mine. I'm checking order status daily in hopes they will ship it before the scheduled date like the last few items I ordered.
At some point I would like to mount the screen to a hinge so that I can prop it up from the floor. A 2x4 will be attached to the bottom frame and will stand on the floor to help me get easier access to the wall behind the screen.

You mentioned the frame being weaker. Does the frame still have some flex with the supports in? I am wondering because I went with the thinner Sable frame which would likely be weaker. I want to be sure that if I prop up the screen from the bottom frame that it wont bow.

My First Build Ever (which just so happens to be a theater!) (In progress)
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1482020/my-first-build-ever
post #37 of 138 Old 04-18-2014, 11:18 AM

It's weaker in relation to the thick Vapex frame. But it's still plenty strong once the support bar is in. Little or no flex. One of the pics shows the EZ frame next to the Vapex frame. As for the Sable frame, the only difference from the EZ frame is the Sable frame is rounded. The build quality is exactly the same. I'm not sure, but there might be a difference in how the velvet is applied. I would have gotten the Sable frame myself if it was available when I ordered.
post #38 of 138 Old 04-18-2014, 11:38 AM

Quamosa , were are you ordering from with the sable frame ? Cheapest I found was B&H 110" like $550 reg frame ... Any input ?
post #39 of 138 Old 04-18-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:

Quamosa , were are you ordering from with the sable frame ? Cheapest I found was B&H 110" like $550 reg frame ... Any input ?

I went to Amazon. I got my 120" sable frame there for a few $$ less than what you found at BH if I chose "Amazon.com LLC" as the merchant

post #40 of 138 Old 04-20-2014, 07:15 PM

Hey guys so after couple says of use how do you guys feel about the performance. I received a sample of Cinegrey and cinawhite , like the Cinegrey but but concerned about the sparkling , but may be it's just cause it's a small little sample piece ... Any feedback ?
post #41 of 138 Old 04-20-2014, 08:23 PM

I have no problems whatsoever with sparkling.
post #42 of 138 Old 04-22-2014, 01:16 PM

I have a 5030UB setup in a basement that is normally completely dark.

I was looking at this screen as I would like to accomplish 2 things. First I would like to increase the contrast in dark movie scenes / deepen the black level. Secondly I would like to decrease the washout when I do turn the lights on.

Anyone think I can't accomplish both of these things with this screen? I have a 1.0 gain white matte screen now, but got to see my projector in action on a 1.8 gain grey screen and loved it. I was debating on trying this or 1.0 gain grey screen.

--Matt
post #43 of 138 Old 04-22-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:

Hey guys so after couple says of use how do you guys feel about the performance. I received a sample of Cinegrey and cinawhite , like the Cinegrey but but concerned about the sparkling , but may be it's just cause it's a small little sample piece ... Any feedback ?

This screen has less sparkle than the Elite Matte White screen that I replaced with my Da-Lite High Contrast Matte White. This screen also has less visible texture than the Da-Lite. In other words, I notice the screen less and the image more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by incarnate View Post

I have a 5030UB setup in a basement that is normally completely dark.

I was looking at this screen as I would like to accomplish 2 things. First I would like to increase the contrast in dark movie scenes / deepen the black level. Secondly I would like to decrease the washout when I do turn the lights on.

Anyone think I can't accomplish both of these things with this screen? I have a 1.0 gain white matte screen now, but got to see my projector in action on a 1.8 gain grey screen and loved it. I was debating on trying this or 1.0 gain grey screen.

--Matt

I do think it's possible. It's a pretty great screen for the money. The improved black levels and less washing out kind of go hand in hand on this screen.
post #44 of 138 Old 04-22-2014, 08:33 PM

Just ordered the 110" cinegrey.
post #45 of 138 Old 04-22-2014, 09:03 PM

The more I use this Cinegrey5D screen, the more I'm impressed by it. Money well spent.
quamosa and gotmilk516 like this.
post #46 of 138 Old 04-23-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:

The more I use this Cinegrey5D screen, the more I'm impressed by it. Money well spent.

I'm so psyched. Still waiting for it to ship... I might as well have waited the 6 months for the Cinemascope version. rolleyes.gif

post #47 of 138 Old 04-23-2014, 12:37 PM

I ordered mine from Amazon , I hope I don't have the same issue your having .
post #48 of 138 Old 04-23-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:

I ordered mine from Amazon , I hope I don't have the same issue your having .

I'm in the middle of painting so its probably best.
What time estimate did they give you?

post #49 of 138 Old 04-23-2014, 03:15 PM

Amazon said delivery April 30 to May 5.... It was 75$ cheaper then B&H
post #50 of 138 Old 04-25-2014, 08:11 AM

Well I just wasted three days trying to order with Amazon. Just got an email they are out of stock and canceling the order. Repurchased it with B and H hope this works out better
post #51 of 138 Old 04-25-2014, 09:15 AM

I got my screen in last night and put it together and hung it by myself. I purchased the 110" Sable Frame version.

First impressions are good. I liked the contrast and black level which really increased my PQ in regular TV viewing. Movies look a lot better as well and watching the first 5 minutes of Thor (the first one) brought several grins to my face. I have had my projector for 9 days and this is my 3rd screen.

I do have some minor issues. At this point after trying 2 other really cheap screens, I feel that I can live with the issues. I do see some sparkles on bright screens and occasionally it gives a screen door type effect on really bright screens. I would have to measure my seating position, but my theater has basically been flipped upside down and I am seated closer than normal. I am going to try moving back further and see if this effect is less pronounced as well.

My second issue is that on bright screens, I have some vertical dark spots. They almost look like stretch marks. I have no idea what is causing this, but it could just be dirty or it might just go away. I literally watched 2-3 hours of random stuff, including the end of the OKC game last night. I was very tired and had heavy eyes so I couldn't do any critical viewing. With that said, I was left more impressed than disappointed. I also figured I would see some level of sparkles, but I am okay with that.

The frame was very straightforward and easy to put together. The tab tensions started off really easy and before you know it, became a mini work out. It was easy and straight forward though. The material is really neat. It reminds me of the material in a air mattress or a pool float toy. It is thick and heavy and feels really good. I also feel like I could probably scrub it with a wet towel and not harm it, but I do not know if that is correct!

I have a completely darkened room and the better black levels and contrast are awesome. I also feel like I can turn the lights on a bit and have a very acceptable image. This to me is a lot better when thinking about watching sports with friends over. We don't have to sit in the dark in order to see a good picture.

I will be running it through the paces this weekend and will follow up after I get more viewing time in.

--Matt
quamosa likes this.
post #52 of 138 Old 04-25-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:

Well I just wasted three days trying to order with Amazon. Just got an email they are out of stock and canceling the order. Repurchased it with B and H hope this works out better

Crap! I havent received this email yet but its funny I was discussing with my wife about it last night. I was telling her I hope there wasn't some backorder issue. I had checked a few sites before I went with Amazon and a few said the item was on back order. Hmm... I might want to check with B&H as well...

post #53 of 138 Old 04-25-2014, 12:08 PM

Amazon tech support said it was scheduled to go out today and that I would receive an email and I just noticed the delivery date has been shifted forward 10 days! Hmmm.... not sure if I trust the response but we shall see. rolleyes.gif

post #54 of 138 Old 04-25-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:

I got my screen in last night and put it together and hung it by myself. I purchased the 110" Sable Frame version.

I will be running it through the paces this weekend and will follow up after I get more viewing time in.

--Matt

Sounds pretty good. Keep us posted. For your follow up, I'll be particularly interested in your seating distance/angle, projector mounting location/angle, etc.

post #55 of 138 Old 04-25-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quamosa View Post

Sounds pretty good. Keep us posted. For your follow up, I'll be particularly interested in your seating distance/angle, projector mounting location/angle, etc.

What is the best way to determine my projector angle and seating angle? Just from eyeballing it, I think I'm very close on projector angle to the screen creating the proper reverse angle to my eye level.

For a prelim, I think my seats are moved close and are between 10 and 11 feet. They used to be around 12 1/2 - 13 1/2 feet for a 60" Plasma. This is front of screen to my head in a reclining chair so the 1 foot spread is sitting up vs reclined.

My projector is a Epson 5030UB and it is mounted slightly off center from the screen due to a vent and lights and adjusted with lens shift and no keystone. It is approximately 17 feet from the screen.

The kicker is how short my basement is. I believe I'm around 80 - 82" floor to ceiling! The top of the projector is maybe 3" off the ceiling and ever so slightly tilted forward. Nothing in my basement is level (floors, walls, ceiling) so everything is crooked to me!

I will try to take some cell phone pictures and post. My basement looks like hell right now and I need to paint over some spots after removing the TV and switching around some wiring. Luckily, the 110" screen covers most of my wall and leaves just enough room for speakers.

--Matt
post #56 of 138 Old 04-27-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:

What is the best way to determine my projector angle and seating angle? Just from eyeballing it, I think I'm very close on projector angle to the screen creating the proper reverse angle to my eye level.

For a prelim, I think my seats are moved close and are between 10 and 11 feet. They used to be around 12 1/2 - 13 1/2 feet for a 60" Plasma. This is front of screen to my head in a reclining chair so the 1 foot spread is sitting up vs reclined.

My projector is a Epson 5030UB and it is mounted slightly off center from the screen due to a vent and lights and adjusted with lens shift and no keystone. It is approximately 17 feet from the screen.

The kicker is how short my basement is. I believe I'm around 80 - 82" floor to ceiling! The top of the projector is maybe 3" off the ceiling and ever so slightly tilted forward. Nothing in my basement is level (floors, walls, ceiling) so everything is crooked to me!

I will try to take some cell phone pictures and post. My basement looks like hell right now and I need to paint over some spots after removing the TV and switching around some wiring. Luckily, the 110" screen covers most of my wall and leaves just enough room for speakers.

--Matt
Since you posted this, incarnate, I've been discussing this problem with my penthouse buddy who has more than than 12 years of experience with projector setups. We've both come to the conclusion that, given your set of circumstances, there really isn't a whole lot different you can do. Your projector throw of 17 feet is great because it broadens the viewing cone and minimizes the hotspot. Moving the projector more to the center would improve matters, (As you well know, these reflective screens work best with the projector centered on the screen.) but as you described, that's not an option.(Maybe it's possible to remove the 1 inch forward tilt?) Screen height and position, as you described, is where it is, no option to move around much. The only real option here is to experiment with your seating position and height. (Which I'm sure you've probably done already)
post #57 of 138 Old 04-27-2014, 10:55 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Since you posted this, incarnate, I've been discussing this problem with my penthouse buddy who has more than than 12 years of experience with projector setups. We've both come to the conclusion that, given your set of circumstances, there really isn't a whole lot different you can do. Your projector throw of 17 feet is great because it broadens the viewing cone and minimizes the hotspot. Moving the projector more to the center would improve matters, (As you well know, these reflective screens work best with the projector centered on the screen.) but as you described, that's not an option.(Maybe it's possible to remove the 1 inch forward tilt?) Screen height and position, as you described, is where it is, no option to move around much. The only real option here is to experiment with your seating position and height. (Which I'm sure you've probably done already)

Nice feed back, also thanks to everyone who has posted info, pics and mini reviews.

Re the above comments, I just wanted to comment on one thing. In regarda to narrowing or broadening the cone. The further back the projecgor is, the narrower the cone. The closer it is the wider the cone. So when further back and zoomed in to compensate for the enlargment effect of moving the projector back, you end up getting into zoom...thats one of the greatest losses of light in a projection system.

The oerson you directed your comment at might want to look at getting a tall ladder, and just move the projector closer by increments and see if that helps. Now once he's closer, less zoom is used and you gain brightness and the cone is wider, the less oblique angle of the projector light vs the screen, might move his sweet spot into a more favourable position. Granted with increased brightness, maybe hotspotting could be more of an issue, but broadlh soeaking, I think this could increase his sweet spot. Might allow the couch to be moved forward a bit which helps get those rear surrounds more behind you.

Sorry for the long post. I'm actually assuming you just mixed it up in the typing, but its worth mentioning incase it causes confusion. But essentially, he has quite a bit of play room if he's willing to consider a more forward projector placement.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
post #58 of 138 Old 04-28-2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majister View Post

Nice feed back, also thanks to everyone who has posted info, pics and mini reviews.

Re the above comments, I just wanted to comment on one thing. In regarda to narrowing or broadening the cone. The further back the projecgor is, the narrower the cone. The closer it is the wider the cone. So when further back and zoomed in to compensate for the enlargment effect of moving the projector back, you end up getting into zoom...thats one of the greatest losses of light in a projection system.

The oerson you directed your comment at might want to look at getting a tall ladder, and just move the projector closer by increments and see if that helps. Now once he's closer, less zoom is used and you gain brightness and the cone is wider, the less oblique angle of the projector light vs the screen, might move his sweet spot into a more favourable position. Granted with increased brightness, maybe hotspotting could be more of an issue, but broadlh soeaking, I think this could increase his sweet spot. Might allow the couch to be moved forward a bit which helps get those rear surrounds more behind you.

Sorry for the long post. I'm actually assuming you just mixed it up in the typing, but its worth mentioning incase it causes confusion. But essentially, he has quite a bit of play room if he's willing to consider a more forward projector placement.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Absolutely right, Majister. My mistake. My buddy pointed out my error, but i'd already posted by then.
As for moving the projector, we didn't consider it because incarnate stated that he had obstructions to deal with. But your suggestions are right on, Majister. If it's possible for incarnate to post a few pictures, I'm sure we can all come up with more accurate suggestions.
Majister likes this.
post #59 of 138 Old 04-28-2014, 11:25 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Absolutely right, Majister. My mistake. My buddy pointed out my error, but i'd already posted by then.
As for moving the projector, we didn't consider it because incarnate stated that he had obstructions to deal with. But your suggestions are right on, Majister. If it's possible for incarnate to post a few pictures, I'm sure we can all come up with more accurate suggestions.

I agree, some pics would be awesome! Nice thing about moving it forward is that if you are a gamer, or have little'uns or grandkids, you can more fully use the space in front of the screen for interactive or kinect type games without obstructing the picture. Im currently repositioning to take advantage of just that. My kids have clearance, but I want to play that kinect Dancing game with my little people....and since im 6.4" I have to get a little creative to use that space myself.

BTW this is the best CineGrey5D thread ive seen. So good to see some awesome people and great posts happen in the same thread....doesnt always go like that wink.gif
post #60 of 138 Old 04-28-2014, 01:22 PM

Unfortunately I didn't have much time to play this weekend. I will try to make up for it this week!

I ran through scenes of various movies watching between 5 and 15 minute stretches. The contrast and black levels of this screen are awesome and it is the main reason why I went with this screen. I will also add that I do get a very watchable picture when turning on some lighting. I am very pleased with that as well.

Remaining issue: I have equally spaced darker lines that run up and down across the whole screen. I have no idea what these marks are from and they look like stretch marks. I notice it more and more, but it doesn't show up very often during viewing for some movies and all the time for others. I can see them with the projector off, but I have to look at an angle or sometimes even use a flashlight to make it pronounced enough to see. I will see if I can get a cell phone picture to show this, but I have my doubts. These lines are visible on bright scenes and invisible on dark scenes while watching content. I don't see all of them while seated. I just see the ones towards the center of the screen. If I get up and move around I can see that these lines exist all over it, but you don't see them all from just one angle. I tried a wet towel and scrubbed as best as I could in a circular motion and couldn't get the lines to come out. I can't tell if it is something that stained the screen, an issue with the material or if it just the way it is supposed to be.

I'm not sure how I feel about the lines just yet. If I could send just the screen material back and exchange it for one that didn't have them, I would in a heartbeat. But if my only option is to return and re-order and roll the dice, I don't know that I want to go through that hassle. I found a couple of Amazon reviews commenting on the lines, which suggests it could be a wider spread issue. In my head, I am going back and forth between "It's not that bad" and "maybe I should return it". I think the back and forth depends on what I am watching though.

I will try to report back tonight or tomorrow. I am hoping to get back on track after this weekend went bust!

--Matt
Reply Screens

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page