AVS Forum banner

Has ANYONE tried the Elite Cinegrey 5D screen yet?

104K views 296 replies 85 participants last post by  LumenChip 
#1 ·
I am looking for a screen to go with my Panasonic AE8000 and I have a very dark room with controlled lighting. Has ANYONE tried this screen material. Elite called me and recommended this over the standard cinegrey, and said the standard white would be good, but this would be the best of all, I'd like to hear of SOMEONE who has tried it.

Anyone? :)

#52 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmilk516  /t/1501120/has-anyone-tried-the-elite-cinegrey-5d-screen-yet/30#post_24646873

Well I just wasted three days trying to order with Amazon. Just got an email they are out of stock and canceling the order. Repurchased it with B and H hope this works out better

Crap! I havent received this email yet but its funny I was discussing with my wife about it last night. I was telling her I hope there wasn't some backorder issue. I had checked a few sites before I went with Amazon and a few said the item was on back order. Hmm... I might want to check with B&H as well...

#54 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by incarnate  /t/1501120/has-anyone-tried-the-elite-cinegrey-5d-screen-yet/30#post_24647156

I got my screen in last night and put it together and hung it by myself. I purchased the 110" Sable Frame version.

I will be running it through the paces this weekend and will follow up after I get more viewing time in.

--Matt

Sounds pretty good. Keep us posted. For your follow up, I'll be particularly interested in your seating distance/angle, projector mounting location/angle, etc.

#55 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by quamosa  /t/1501120/has-anyone-tried-the-elite-cinegrey-5d-screen-yet/30#post_24648017

Sounds pretty good. Keep us posted. For your follow up, I'll be particularly interested in your seating distance/angle, projector mounting location/angle, etc.

What is the best way to determine my projector angle and seating angle? Just from eyeballing it, I think I'm very close on projector angle to the screen creating the proper reverse angle to my eye level.

For a prelim, I think my seats are moved close and are between 10 and 11 feet. They used to be around 12 1/2 - 13 1/2 feet for a 60" Plasma. This is front of screen to my head in a reclining chair so the 1 foot spread is sitting up vs reclined.

My projector is a Epson 5030UB and it is mounted slightly off center from the screen due to a vent and lights and adjusted with lens shift and no keystone. It is approximately 17 feet from the screen.

The kicker is how short my basement is. I believe I'm around 80 - 82" floor to ceiling! The top of the projector is maybe 3" off the ceiling and ever so slightly tilted forward. Nothing in my basement is level (floors, walls, ceiling) so everything is crooked to me!

I will try to take some cell phone pictures and post. My basement looks like hell right now and I need to paint over some spots after removing the TV and switching around some wiring. Luckily, the 110" screen covers most of my wall and leaves just enough room for speakers.

--Matt

#56 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by incarnate  /t/1501120/has-anyone-tried-the-elite-cinegrey-5d-screen-yet/30#post_24648074

What is the best way to determine my projector angle and seating angle? Just from eyeballing it, I think I'm very close on projector angle to the screen creating the proper reverse angle to my eye level.

For a prelim, I think my seats are moved close and are between 10 and 11 feet. They used to be around 12 1/2 - 13 1/2 feet for a 60" Plasma. This is front of screen to my head in a reclining chair so the 1 foot spread is sitting up vs reclined.

My projector is a Epson 5030UB and it is mounted slightly off center from the screen due to a vent and lights and adjusted with lens shift and no keystone. It is approximately 17 feet from the screen.

The kicker is how short my basement is. I believe I'm around 80 - 82" floor to ceiling! The top of the projector is maybe 3" off the ceiling and ever so slightly tilted forward. Nothing in my basement is level (floors, walls, ceiling) so everything is crooked to me!

I will try to take some cell phone pictures and post. My basement looks like hell right now and I need to paint over some spots after removing the TV and switching around some wiring. Luckily, the 110" screen covers most of my wall and leaves just enough room for speakers.

--Matt
Since you posted this, incarnate, I've been discussing this problem with my penthouse buddy who has more than than 12 years of experience with projector setups. We've both come to the conclusion that, given your set of circumstances, there really isn't a whole lot different you can do. Your projector throw of 17 feet is great because it broadens the viewing cone and minimizes the hotspot. Moving the projector more to the center would improve matters, (As you well know, these reflective screens work best with the projector centered on the screen.) but as you described, that's not an option.(Maybe it's possible to remove the 1 inch forward tilt?) Screen height and position, as you described, is where it is, no option to move around much. The only real option here is to experiment with your seating position and height. (Which I'm sure you've probably done already)

#57 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38  /t/1501120/has-anyone-tried-the-elite-cinegrey-5d-screen-yet/30#post_24653331

Since you posted this, incarnate, I've been discussing this problem with my penthouse buddy who has more than than 12 years of experience with projector setups. We've both come to the conclusion that, given your set of circumstances, there really isn't a whole lot different you can do. Your projector throw of 17 feet is great because it broadens the viewing cone and minimizes the hotspot. Moving the projector more to the center would improve matters, (As you well know, these reflective screens work best with the projector centered on the screen.) but as you described, that's not an option.(Maybe it's possible to remove the 1 inch forward tilt?) Screen height and position, as you described, is where it is, no option to move around much. The only real option here is to experiment with your seating position and height. (Which I'm sure you've probably done already)

Nice feed back, also thanks to everyone who has posted info, pics and mini reviews.

Re the above comments, I just wanted to comment on one thing. In regarda to narrowing or broadening the cone. The further back the projecgor is, the narrower the cone. The closer it is the wider the cone. So when further back and zoomed in to compensate for the enlargment effect of moving the projector back, you end up getting into zoom...thats one of the greatest losses of light in a projection system.

The oerson you directed your comment at might want to look at getting a tall ladder, and just move the projector closer by increments and see if that helps. Now once he's closer, less zoom is used and you gain brightness and the cone is wider, the less oblique angle of the projector light vs the screen, might move his sweet spot into a more favourable position. Granted with increased brightness, maybe hotspotting could be more of an issue, but broadlh soeaking, I think this could increase his sweet spot. Might allow the couch to be moved forward a bit which helps get those rear surrounds more behind you.

Sorry for the long post. I'm actually assuming you just mixed it up in the typing, but its worth mentioning incase it causes confusion. But essentially, he has quite a bit of play room if he's willing to consider a more forward projector placement.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

#58 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majister  /t/1501120/has-anyone-tried-the-elite-cinegrey-5d-screen-yet/30#post_24656297

Nice feed back, also thanks to everyone who has posted info, pics and mini reviews.

Re the above comments, I just wanted to comment on one thing. In regarda to narrowing or broadening the cone. The further back the projecgor is, the narrower the cone. The closer it is the wider the cone. So when further back and zoomed in to compensate for the enlargment effect of moving the projector back, you end up getting into zoom...thats one of the greatest losses of light in a projection system.

The oerson you directed your comment at might want to look at getting a tall ladder, and just move the projector closer by increments and see if that helps. Now once he's closer, less zoom is used and you gain brightness and the cone is wider, the less oblique angle of the projector light vs the screen, might move his sweet spot into a more favourable position. Granted with increased brightness, maybe hotspotting could be more of an issue, but broadlh soeaking, I think this could increase his sweet spot. Might allow the couch to be moved forward a bit which helps get those rear surrounds more behind you.

Sorry for the long post. I'm actually assuming you just mixed it up in the typing, but its worth mentioning incase it causes confusion. But essentially, he has quite a bit of play room if he's willing to consider a more forward projector placement.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Absolutely right, Majister. My mistake. My buddy pointed out my error, but i'd already posted by then.

As for moving the projector, we didn't consider it because incarnate stated that he had obstructions to deal with. But your suggestions are right on, Majister. If it's possible for incarnate to post a few pictures, I'm sure we can all come up with more accurate suggestions.

#59 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38  /t/1501120/has-anyone-tried-the-elite-cinegrey-5d-screen-yet/30#post_24656359

Absolutely right, Majister. My mistake. My buddy pointed out my error, but i'd already posted by then.

As for moving the projector, we didn't consider it because incarnate stated that he had obstructions to deal with. But your suggestions are right on, Majister. If it's possible for incarnate to post a few pictures, I'm sure we can all come up with more accurate suggestions.

I agree, some pics would be awesome! Nice thing about moving it forward is that if you are a gamer, or have little'uns or grandkids, you can more fully use the space in front of the screen for interactive or kinect type games without obstructing the picture. Im currently repositioning to take advantage of just that. My kids have clearance, but I want to play that kinect Dancing game with my little people....and since im 6.4" I have to get a little creative to use that space myself.

BTW this is the best CineGrey5D thread ive seen. So good to see some awesome people and great posts happen in the same thread....doesnt always go like that

#60 ·
Unfortunately I didn't have much time to play this weekend. I will try to make up for it this week!

I ran through scenes of various movies watching between 5 and 15 minute stretches. The contrast and black levels of this screen are awesome and it is the main reason why I went with this screen. I will also add that I do get a very watchable picture when turning on some lighting. I am very pleased with that as well.

Remaining issue: I have equally spaced darker lines that run up and down across the whole screen. I have no idea what these marks are from and they look like stretch marks. I notice it more and more, but it doesn't show up very often during viewing for some movies and all the time for others. I can see them with the projector off, but I have to look at an angle or sometimes even use a flashlight to make it pronounced enough to see. I will see if I can get a cell phone picture to show this, but I have my doubts. These lines are visible on bright scenes and invisible on dark scenes while watching content. I don't see all of them while seated. I just see the ones towards the center of the screen. If I get up and move around I can see that these lines exist all over it, but you don't see them all from just one angle. I tried a wet towel and scrubbed as best as I could in a circular motion and couldn't get the lines to come out. I can't tell if it is something that stained the screen, an issue with the material or if it just the way it is supposed to be.

I'm not sure how I feel about the lines just yet. If I could send just the screen material back and exchange it for one that didn't have them, I would in a heartbeat. But if my only option is to return and re-order and roll the dice, I don't know that I want to go through that hassle. I found a couple of Amazon reviews commenting on the lines, which suggests it could be a wider spread issue. In my head, I am going back and forth between "It's not that bad" and "maybe I should return it". I think the back and forth depends on what I am watching though.

I will try to report back tonight or tomorrow. I am hoping to get back on track after this weekend went bust!

--Matt

#62 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by incarnate  /t/1501120/has-anyone-tried-the-elite-cinegrey-5d-screen-yet/30#post_24658658

Unfortunately I didn't have much time to play this weekend. I will try to make up for it this week!

I ran through scenes of various movies watching between 5 and 15 minute stretches. The contrast and black levels of this screen are awesome and it is the main reason why I went with this screen. I will also add that I do get a very watchable picture when turning on some lighting. I am very pleased with that as well.

Remaining issue: I have equally spaced darker lines that run up and down across the whole screen. I have no idea what these marks are from and they look like stretch marks. I notice it more and more, but it doesn't show up very often during viewing for some movies and all the time for others. I can see them with the projector off, but I have to look at an angle or sometimes even use a flashlight to make it pronounced enough to see. I will see if I can get a cell phone picture to show this, but I have my doubts. These lines are visible on bright scenes and invisible on dark scenes while watching content. I don't see all of them while seated. I just see the ones towards the center of the screen. If I get up and move around I can see that these lines exist all over it, but you don't see them all from just one angle. I tried a wet towel and scrubbed as best as I could in a circular motion and couldn't get the lines to come out. I can't tell if it is something that stained the screen, an issue with the material or if it just the way it is supposed to be.

I'm not sure how I feel about the lines just yet. If I could send just the screen material back and exchange it for one that didn't have them, I would in a heartbeat. But if my only option is to return and re-order and roll the dice, I don't know that I want to go through that hassle. I found a couple of Amazon reviews commenting on the lines, which suggests it could be a wider spread issue. In my head, I am going back and forth between "It's not that bad" and "maybe I should return it". I think the back and forth depends on what I am watching though.

I will try to report back tonight or tomorrow. I am hoping to get back on track after this weekend went bust!

--Matt
Sorry to hear about your problem. I'm trying hard to find on my screen what you've reported on your screen, Incarnate. I don't see any dark lines. Maybe It's a rare occurrence and you were just unlucky, or maybe It's a real Quality Control issue and I've just been lucky. (Knock on Wood) In any Case, this is a valid reason to call Elite and make use of the 2 year warranty. You shouldn't go back and forth in your mind about a return. If it's something that bothers you, then It will always bother you. Call Elite to complain.

#63 ·
Unfortunately, this screen has exacerbated the limitations of my Optoma HD20, specifically the lack of brightness uniformity and focus. I had always attributed that to my wavy manual pull down screen, but no, it's the projector. I've just ordered a BenQ W1070. I've also ordered a honeycomb blackout blind to compensate for the lack of black backing on the screen. After I get it all set up, I'll take some pics of the results.

I do have it mounted to the ceiling using a hinge setup, which is actually pretty sweet.

#64 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggercb  /t/1501120/has-anyone-tried-the-elite-cinegrey-5d-screen-yet/60#post_24662905

I do have it mounted to the ceiling using a hinge setup, which is actually pretty sweet.

I would like to see how you hinged it up to the ceiling.

On another note, I received my screen today, couple bux cheaper and 15 days shorter delivery.
I'll have to find some time tonight hopefully to open up the box and get it hooked up.

#65 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by quamosa  /t/1501120/has-anyone-tried-the-elite-cinegrey-5d-screen-yet/60#post_24662975

I would like to see how you hinged it up to the ceiling.

On another note, I received my screen today, couple bux cheaper and 15 days shorter delivery.
I'll have to find some time tonight hopefully to open up the box and get it hooked up.

I should clarify: It's mounted on the wall pretty high up, then swings up and hooks on the ceiling when not in use. I'll get it all set up and get some pics taken maybe this weekend.

#66 ·
I've got the screen set up. Considering that I dont have any other screen to compare it with... it looks very good with some lights on.
I did have to make sure no lights were on within 5 feet or so though. I have a bunch of lights on in the rear of the room and they dont seem to affect the screen at all which is a VERY big plus for entertaining. My projector is almost exactly 18 feet from the screen and I didnt notice any obvious hot spotting. I also moved from left to right and front to rear and I couldnt detect any change in brightness or colors either. There may have been a VERY slight increase in brightness in the 2nd row but I'll need to spend some time with it to be sure. I didn't see any of the "sparklies" that were mentioned about this screen. Maybe I'm not sure what to look for...

So those are all the positives. The only negative I have of this screen is the slight vertical lines and one horizontal wrinkle which goes across the whole screen. The manual says the horizontal lines are to be expected and will work themselves out over the span of 4 days. I'm guessing the vertical lines are to be gotten used to.

They dont bother me, as when I start watching getting into the show they sort of fade away and I have to really focus in on them on purpose to see them.

I hooked up my chromecast and watched a few things.. my cellphone pics dont do the screen justice at all. The camera makes the room look MUCH darker than it really is.

#67 ·
Well my cellphone did a horrible job of capturing the lines. It is really hard to see in the pictures, but very easy to see in person. I took pictures with and without flash as obviously the reflection of light from the screen makes it very hard to get adequate light for the camera to resolve the lines. For the most part, the camera pictures look bad, but the vertical dark spots are what I am referring to. Basically the screen doesn't look very uniform in the pictures and it isn't just the camera it is the screen!

#68 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by incarnate  /t/1501120/has-anyone-tried-the-elite-cinegrey-5d-screen-yet/60#post_24665335

Well my cellphone did a horrible job of capturing the lines. It is really hard to see in the pictures, but very easy to see in person. I took pictures with and without flash as obviously the reflection of light from the screen makes it very hard to get adequate light for the camera to resolve the lines. For the most part, the camera pictures look bad, but the vertical dark spots are what I am referring to. Basically the screen doesn't look very uniform in the pictures and it isn't just the camera it is the screen!

I think I can make out the lines in your last pic. Those are what I saw on my screen as well. For me they were easier to see on white or very bright scenes. I wonder if it goes away over time. How many days has your screen been mounted? They do seem to be like stretch marks. Can you point me any reviews of this screen which tell of this issue?

#71 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan  /t/1501120/has-anyone-tried-the-elite-cinegrey-5d-screen-yet/60#post_24668002

Will the cinegrey 5d work well with a short throw pj like the w1080st?
As long as the projector is lined up properly, The w1080st should work fine.

About a year ago, one of my colleagues at work showed me his new 120 inch DNP Supernova core 1 (23-23 material) screen that he was using with a benq1070 in fairly well lit living room. The resulting picture from this combo left me really impressed. Since the cinegrey 5d seems to perform in a similar manner, the result with a 1080st should be about the same.

#73 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by quamosa  /t/1501120/has-anyone-tried-the-elite-cinegrey-5d-screen-yet/60#post_24665488

I think I can make out the lines in your last pic. Those are what I saw on my screen as well. For me they were easier to see on white or very bright scenes. I wonder if it goes away over time. How many days has your screen been mounted? They do seem to be like stretch marks. Can you point me any reviews of this screen which tell of this issue?

I know what you're talking about with the lines, but the only time I can see them is with the PJ turned off, and with daylight outside- remember I'm in front of a blind-less window. Well, till tomorrow. Blackout honeycomb blind will be here tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38  /t/1501120/has-anyone-tried-the-elite-cinegrey-5d-screen-yet/60#post_24668489

As long as the projector is lined up properly, The w1080st should work fine.

About a year ago, one of my colleagues at work showed me his new 120 inch DNP Supernova core 1 (23-23 material) screen that he was using with a benq1070 in fairly well lit living room. The resulting picture from this combo left me really impressed. Since the cinegrey 5d seems to perform in a similar manner, the result with a 1080st should be about the same.

I just hooked up my Benq W1070 for a few minutes today. Full daylight, lamps on, windows open and the picture was very good.

I'm super frustrated I won't get this set up for a few days though. I figured "I'm a handy guy, I'll build my new PJ mount using a few parts from my old mount that I don't care for, then I'll be set!" I built one up and it turned out better than expected. But as it turns out the Benq has different size mounting screws than my Optoma does, and I live 75 miles from town. Soooo Amazon to the rescue again. This will also coincide with the 3d glasses I ordered. Looking forward to trying out Nvidia's 3DTV play functionality.

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38  /t/1501120/has-anyone-tried-the-elite-cinegrey-5d-screen-yet/60#post_24672678

Here's two more short videos:) of the Cinegrey 5D with lots of ambient light. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C206guUbXE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYJWUL7ZPZU

These videos are pretty good. Thanks for putting them up. I watched a few more things last night and I loved the screen even more. Here are a few pics with a 60W bulb on within 5 feet of the screen at full brightness (worst case scenario) and half brightness. Also ambient light coming in from the brighter half of the basement as well as the rear of the room. Other than full brightness there seems to be very minimal effect on contrast if any at all.

#76 ·
 @ruggercb I wonder why your lines only show when the projector is off?

@incarnate Did you contact Elite or find any other resolution? I'm waiting to see if they fade over time. I'm okay with them as is as they don't bother me too much but eventually I may give Elite a call if I find some time just to get more information on the matter