Has ANYONE tried the Elite Cinegrey 5D screen yet? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 169 Old 04-28-2014, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I wasn't able to find any reviews specific to the 5d on amazon. I would like to read more about these lines. The draper and the DA lite contrast screens were also off and on reported to have visible lines in the material as well.

My First Build Ever in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 169 Old 04-28-2014, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by incarnate View Post

Unfortunately I didn't have much time to play this weekend. I will try to make up for it this week!

I ran through scenes of various movies watching between 5 and 15 minute stretches. The contrast and black levels of this screen are awesome and it is the main reason why I went with this screen. I will also add that I do get a very watchable picture when turning on some lighting. I am very pleased with that as well.

Remaining issue: I have equally spaced darker lines that run up and down across the whole screen. I have no idea what these marks are from and they look like stretch marks. I notice it more and more, but it doesn't show up very often during viewing for some movies and all the time for others. I can see them with the projector off, but I have to look at an angle or sometimes even use a flashlight to make it pronounced enough to see. I will see if I can get a cell phone picture to show this, but I have my doubts. These lines are visible on bright scenes and invisible on dark scenes while watching content. I don't see all of them while seated. I just see the ones towards the center of the screen. If I get up and move around I can see that these lines exist all over it, but you don't see them all from just one angle. I tried a wet towel and scrubbed as best as I could in a circular motion and couldn't get the lines to come out. I can't tell if it is something that stained the screen, an issue with the material or if it just the way it is supposed to be.

I'm not sure how I feel about the lines just yet. If I could send just the screen material back and exchange it for one that didn't have them, I would in a heartbeat. But if my only option is to return and re-order and roll the dice, I don't know that I want to go through that hassle. I found a couple of Amazon reviews commenting on the lines, which suggests it could be a wider spread issue. In my head, I am going back and forth between "It's not that bad" and "maybe I should return it". I think the back and forth depends on what I am watching though.

I will try to report back tonight or tomorrow. I am hoping to get back on track after this weekend went bust!

--Matt
Sorry to hear about your problem. I'm trying hard to find on my screen what you've reported on your screen, Incarnate. I don't see any dark lines. Maybe It's a rare occurrence and you were just unlucky, or maybe It's a real Quality Control issue and I've just been lucky. (Knock on Wood) In any Case, this is a valid reason to call Elite and make use of the 2 year warranty. You shouldn't go back and forth in your mind about a return. If it's something that bothers you, then It will always bother you. Call Elite to complain.
post #63 of 169 Old 04-29-2014, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Unfortunately, this screen has exacerbated the limitations of my Optoma HD20, specifically the lack of brightness uniformity and focus. I had always attributed that to my wavy manual pull down screen, but no, it's the projector. I've just ordered a BenQ W1070. I've also ordered a honeycomb blackout blind to compensate for the lack of black backing on the screen. After I get it all set up, I'll take some pics of the results.

I do have it mounted to the ceiling using a hinge setup, which is actually pretty sweet. smile.gif
post #64 of 169 Old 04-29-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggercb View Post

I do have it mounted to the ceiling using a hinge setup, which is actually pretty sweet. smile.gif

I would like to see how you hinged it up to the ceiling.

On another note, I received my screen today, couple bux cheaper and 15 days shorter delivery. biggrin.gif I'll have to find some time tonight hopefully to open up the box and get it hooked up.

post #65 of 169 Old 04-29-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quamosa View Post

I would like to see how you hinged it up to the ceiling.

On another note, I received my screen today, couple bux cheaper and 15 days shorter delivery. biggrin.gif I'll have to find some time tonight hopefully to open up the box and get it hooked up.

I should clarify: It's mounted on the wall pretty high up, then swings up and hooks on the ceiling when not in use. I'll get it all set up and get some pics taken maybe this weekend.
post #66 of 169 Old 04-30-2014, 01:24 AM

I've got the screen set up. Considering that I dont have any other screen to compare it with... it looks very good with some lights on. eek.gif I did have to make sure no lights were on within 5 feet or so though. I have a bunch of lights on in the rear of the room and they dont seem to affect the screen at all which is a VERY big plus for entertaining. My projector is almost exactly 18 feet from the screen and I didnt notice any obvious hot spotting. I also moved from left to right and front to rear and I couldnt detect any change in brightness or colors either. There may have been a VERY slight increase in brightness in the 2nd row but I'll need to spend some time with it to be sure. I didn't see any of the "sparklies" that were mentioned about this screen. Maybe I'm not sure what to look for...

So those are all the positives. The only negative I have of this screen is the slight vertical lines and one horizontal wrinkle which goes across the whole screen. The manual says the horizontal lines are to be expected and will work themselves out over the span of 4 days. I'm guessing the vertical lines are to be gotten used to. tongue.gif
They dont bother me, as when I start watching getting into the show they sort of fade away and I have to really focus in on them on purpose to see them.

I hooked up my chromecast and watched a few things.. my cellphone pics dont do the screen justice at all. The camera makes the room look MUCH darker than it really is.

post #67 of 169 Old 04-30-2014, 07:41 AM

Well my cellphone did a horrible job of capturing the lines. It is really hard to see in the pictures, but very easy to see in person. I took pictures with and without flash as obviously the reflection of light from the screen makes it very hard to get adequate light for the camera to resolve the lines. For the most part, the camera pictures look bad, but the vertical dark spots are what I am referring to. Basically the screen doesn't look very uniform in the pictures and it isn't just the camera it is the screen!

post #68 of 169 Old 04-30-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incarnate View Post

Well my cellphone did a horrible job of capturing the lines. It is really hard to see in the pictures, but very easy to see in person. I took pictures with and without flash as obviously the reflection of light from the screen makes it very hard to get adequate light for the camera to resolve the lines. For the most part, the camera pictures look bad, but the vertical dark spots are what I am referring to. Basically the screen doesn't look very uniform in the pictures and it isn't just the camera it is the screen!

I think I can make out the lines in your last pic. Those are what I saw on my screen as well. For me they were easier to see on white or very bright scenes. I wonder if it goes away over time. How many days has your screen been mounted? They do seem to be like stretch marks. Can you point me any reviews of this screen which tell of this issue?

post #69 of 169 Old 04-30-2014, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Will the cinegrey 5d work well with a short throw pj like the w1080st?
post #70 of 169 Old 04-30-2014, 07:21 PM

Liked: 11
We're is my screeeeeeen !! I'm so jealous of you guys ! I can't wait just hope it delivers a better picture then a tan wall lol ; )
post #71 of 169 Old 04-30-2014, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post

Will the cinegrey 5d work well with a short throw pj like the w1080st?
As long as the projector is lined up properly, The w1080st should work fine.
About a year ago, one of my colleagues at work showed me his new 120 inch DNP Supernova core 1 (23-23 material) screen that he was using with a benq1070 in fairly well lit living room. The resulting picture from this combo left me really impressed. Since the cinegrey 5d seems to perform in a similar manner, the result with a 1080st should be about the same.
post #72 of 169 Old 04-30-2014, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Here's a short video of the screen performing with bright kitchen lights on. (4 led bulbs outputting 800 lumens each)http://youtu.be/VU8FZ1T56zI
post #73 of 169 Old 05-01-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quamosa View Post

I think I can make out the lines in your last pic. Those are what I saw on my screen as well. For me they were easier to see on white or very bright scenes. I wonder if it goes away over time. How many days has your screen been mounted? They do seem to be like stretch marks. Can you point me any reviews of this screen which tell of this issue?

I know what you're talking about with the lines, but the only time I can see them is with the PJ turned off, and with daylight outside- remember I'm in front of a blind-less window. Well, till tomorrow. Blackout honeycomb blind will be here tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post

As long as the projector is lined up properly, The w1080st should work fine.
About a year ago, one of my colleagues at work showed me his new 120 inch DNP Supernova core 1 (23-23 material) screen that he was using with a benq1070 in fairly well lit living room. The resulting picture from this combo left me really impressed. Since the cinegrey 5d seems to perform in a similar manner, the result with a 1080st should be about the same.

I just hooked up my Benq W1070 for a few minutes today. Full daylight, lamps on, windows open and the picture was very good.

I'm super frustrated I won't get this set up for a few days though. I figured "I'm a handy guy, I'll build my new PJ mount using a few parts from my old mount that I don't care for, then I'll be set!" I built one up and it turned out better than expected. But as it turns out the Benq has different size mounting screws than my Optoma does, and I live 75 miles from town. Soooo Amazon to the rescue again. This will also coincide with the 3d glasses I ordered. Looking forward to trying out Nvidia's 3DTV play functionality.
post #74 of 169 Old 05-01-2014, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Here's two more short videos:) of the Cinegrey 5D with lots of ambient light. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C206guUbXE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYJWUL7ZPZU
quamosa likes this.
post #75 of 169 Old 05-01-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:

Here's two more short videos:) of the Cinegrey 5D with lots of ambient light. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C206guUbXE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYJWUL7ZPZU

These videos are pretty good. Thanks for putting them up. I watched a few more things last night and I loved the screen even more. Here are a few pics with a 60W bulb on within 5 feet of the screen at full brightness (worst case scenario) and half brightness. Also ambient light coming in from the brighter half of the basement as well as the rear of the room. Other than full brightness there seems to be very minimal effect on contrast if any at all.

post #76 of 169 Old 05-01-2014, 11:05 PM

@ruggercb I wonder why your lines only show when the projector is off?

@incarnate Did you contact Elite or find any other resolution? I'm waiting to see if they fade over time. I'm okay with them as is as they don't bother me too much but eventually I may give Elite a call if I find some time just to get more information on the matter

post #77 of 169 Old 05-02-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does anyone know if this screen retains passive 3D? Anyone want to try with two pairs of the passive 3d glass?
post #78 of 169 Old 05-02-2014, 05:51 PM

I believe it supports both active and passive. I have an active projector but I have yet to test even that due to the fact my theater is about 50% finished so im using chromecast only for video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

Does anyone know if this screen retains passive 3D? Anyone want to try with two pairs of the passive 3d glass?

post #79 of 169 Old 05-02-2014, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

Yes. This screen was specifically designed to retain images for passive 3d.
post #80 of 169 Old 05-03-2014, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Not to worry, Quamosa. Just about any screen will work fine with an active 3d projector.(I even saw active 3d work ok on a bare wall)
Passive 3d is a different ball of wax. It requires a screen that can keep the dual images being projected separate so each eye can see each image separately when you put on the polarized glasses. These screens require a material with lots of metal in it. (Usually silver) The Cinegrey 5d is a screen with a Gray/Silver surface, so it will keep the dual images separate. With an active 3d projector, the Cinegrey 5d will behave like any normal screen.
However,the type of polarized glasses you'll use in a passive 3d setup is dependent on the type of projectors you're using. (You need two projectors for a home system) If you're using DLP projectors, you can use the same glasses you get in the movie theater.(Since the passive 3d systems in theaters use DLP projectors)If you use LCD projectors, you need different polarized glasses.(because LCD polarization is the opposite of DLP)
Sorry for the real longwinded explanation. I had some time on my hands.
quamosa likes this.
post #81 of 169 Old 05-03-2014, 09:28 PM

This has me excited for the blade copy called the cinegrey "edge free" hopefully it gets released soon
post #82 of 169 Old 05-03-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmilk516 View Post

We're is my screeeeeeen !! I'm so jealous of you guys ! I can't wait just hope it delivers a better picture then a tan wall lol ; )

Have you gotten it yet? If not I can point you to the retailer I finally went with. I had free delivery and it showed up in less than 24 hours from processing. I'm curious to see if you have the vertical lines on yours. I also have 3 sets of horizontal "wrinkles" that haven't smoothed out just yet.

post #83 of 169 Old 05-04-2014, 08:56 AM

I am thinking I should get mine Monday. It was shipped Tuesday from California to NY, LI. I will definitely post feedback.
post #84 of 169 Old 05-04-2014, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_0068 View Post

This has me excited for the blade copy called the cinegrey "edge free" hopefully it gets released soon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tBKUdhzkdXs Jim, Maybe you already saw this video of Elite showing off their edge free design. There's no edge free designs in their 2014 catalog, so it may be a 2015 product. If the price is right, I may go for one myself.
post #85 of 169 Old 05-04-2014, 04:03 PM

Liked: 10
I've owned and have experience with just about every type of screen ever put to market, and I presently own a SI Black Diamond 0.8 gain gen 3 screen. I just got the Cinegrey 5D sample the other day (small 6" x8" only), and did some comparisons vs my screen, other SI BD and standard white and HC gray samples.
First, I think the Cinegrey 5D shows promise, and does some things well. It's close enough to the neutrality of a good white screen - if a little on the green side, color temp wise - but it's a bit darker overall than a good white screen, and highlights aren't quite as bright, even more subdued/grey. In this regard, it's probably like most gray screens, which need a boost in contrast controls to make the image pop. It's probably bellow a Stewart firehawk in this regard, too. Black levels are really good better than Firehawk and 1.4 gain Black Diamond - by a smidge), and just short of the black level champ, the 0.8 gain SI BD screen. Color and overall image seems to have some sparkle and life from the gain of the screen, and color saturation should be fine. Although, ultimately, the SI Black Diamond 0.8 and 1.4 gain screen materials are clearly superior in the contrast department, and white level is clearly more punchy and bright on the Black Diamond! - overall, the dynamic range on the BD's are unmatched, in fact!
On any given average projected image, I think you'll find the SI Black Diamonds offer a wider dynamic range between black and white, than just about anything you'll find - but they're expensive!! Another mark against, if any on the more expensive BD screens, is that there's somewhat of a "shimmer" to the image, (which is better than old BD material Versions 1 and 2, however), which is visible in bright/light/white images. Not a deal breaker or unworkable, IMO, but it's there on the BD - possibly less of a nuisance on a very large screen,and way less noticeable in a room with lights on, I suppose.. The Cinegray 5D showed much less of this artifact, from neutral.
I think the Cingrey 5D, for an more affordable Light rejection screen, probably will prove to be a good choice, and work very well, is my thought. In fact, I'm likely going to try one out. I can use a couple screens in the house.
So far, however, I think this screen should offer all the benefits that a good light rejection screen should offer, with workable downsides, on a budget. Can compare more later should I acquire one.
post #86 of 169 Old 05-04-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tBKUdhzkdXs Jim, Maybe you already saw this video of Elite showing off their edge free design. There's no edge free designs in their 2014 catalog, so it may be a 2015 product. If the price is right, I may go for one myself.

Thanks for posting this link. I noticed right away the PolarStar looks ALOT like the CineGrey5D material though it has slightly higher gain at 1.8
I would love to get my hands on a DarkStar with that frame, even a 5D. It would be nice if the "consumer level" of the edge free frame would allow us to retrofit our existing 5D material to it. I'm sort of glad it will be a 2015 product since I already made my purchase and happy with it.

post #87 of 169 Old 05-04-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the link. I found a trademark filing for "edge free" recently by elite screens so I figured a year or so for possible release.
post #88 of 169 Old 05-07-2014, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Another Satisfied Cinegrey 5D customer. My 8 year old son. http://youtu.be/EdfGoRbKNIQ
post #89 of 169 Old 05-09-2014, 12:38 PM

[IMG]

I finally put up the screen cinegray 5d 110" ! Let me tell you this Sh** is the Sh** !!!! Picture quality Sick I could watch it with the lights on , off half on blinds open , I think a supernova could explode in the room and my picture would still be awesome. Viewing angle not an issue , no blurriness from any angle in my room. Sometimes I just walk into the room and just look at it and stare , cause it looks awesome with no picture on it ..... I'm done talking about it , I'm at work and just feel like going home and playing Xbox One....

* forgot to take pic with projector on, I'll post later with picture image .

Next project taking stacked stone and building it all around the screen on that wall : )
post #90 of 169 Old 05-09-2014, 12:41 PM

For some reason only one pic attached to last post ....
ben38 likes this.
Reply Screens

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread - Ptae8000u by PriceGrabber.com