Has ANYONE tried the Elite Cinegrey 5D screen yet? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 137 Old 05-09-2014, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 32
You finally got it! Congrats. I'm happy you're happy. My work buddy came to my place, (He has a DNP supernova core1) and It blew his mind that I was getting similar performance at a third of the price. Elite has really hit a home run with this screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 137 Old 05-10-2014, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can this screen material be had in an electric drop down? I wasn't able to find that option on their website. Seems like a great value and I love to hear that you don't get any sparkles with this screen.
post #93 of 137 Old 05-10-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillY2KFRC View Post

Can this screen material be had in an electric drop down? I wasn't able to find that option on their website. Seems like a great value and I love to hear that you don't get any sparkles with this screen.
Unfortunately No. Don't Know why not.
post #94 of 137 Old 05-10-2014, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmilk516 View Post

[IMG]

I finally put up the screen cinegray 5d 110" ! Let me tell you this Sh** is the Sh** !!!! Picture quality Sick I could watch it with the lights on , off half on blinds open , I think a supernova could explode in the room and my picture would still be awesome. Viewing angle not an issue , no blurriness from any angle in my room. Sometimes I just walk into the room and just look at it and stare , cause it looks awesome with no picture on it ..... I'm done talking about it , I'm at work and just feel like going home and playing Xbox One....

* forgot to take pic with projector on, I'll post later with picture image .

Next project taking stacked stone and building it all around the screen on that wall : )

Congrats. Welcome to the club finally. lol Seems like we're all happy customers! Did you happen to notice the vertical "stretch mark" lines and horizontal "wrinkles" that I and a few others have?

My First Build Ever (which just so happens to be a theater!) (In progress)
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1482020/my-first-build-ever
post #95 of 137 Old 05-11-2014, 08:09 PM

Liked: 11

Love the screen , performs well in any conditions , but I just put on a netflix movie "Mudd" and I see these lines : / WTF. ..... Looks like I'm going to bitch tomorrow lol
post #96 of 137 Old 05-11-2014, 08:10 PM

Here's the a pic that captured the lines , have you guys had any luck with these lines know some have seen them aswell?
post #97 of 137 Old 05-12-2014, 12:50 PM

A few emails back and forth and a Pic and Elite sending me new material . I was expecting to have to battle with them but NO , there like we see the issue and fill out this warranty claim for and will send you new material : )
post #98 of 137 Old 05-12-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:

A few emails back and forth and a Pic and Elite sending me new material . I was expecting to have to battle with them but NO , there like we see the issue and fill out this warranty claim for and will send you new material : )

Excellent! I'll probably be doing the same... which email did you use?

post #99 of 137 Old 05-13-2014, 04:07 AM

Service@elitescreens.com
post #100 of 137 Old 05-13-2014, 04:08 AM

Send in an explanation and attach a pic , they got back to me within 30 min
post #101 of 137 Old 05-16-2014, 07:10 PM

Well, after a whole month of looking, I've finally caught a glimpse of a vertical line near the bottom of the screen. It's only about 6 inches long, but it's definitely there. Since, in my case, it's only viewable during very bright scenes and I'm consciously looking for it, I don't consider it something worth complaining about.
Also, Just to keep this thread alive a little longer, I've included a video of the Cinegrey 5D with an extreme amount of ambient light. http://youtu.be/hwIaIvhNuuQ
post #102 of 137 Old 05-16-2014, 09:44 PM

This cinegrey 5d screen is what I need for my ambient light room. Are the lines everyone seeing on the screen a problem? I'm going to order a 150" for my Epson 5010. But I'm very concerned about the lines and wrinkle issues. Can anyone compare to VA and monoprice sreen?
post #103 of 137 Old 05-17-2014, 07:08 AM

So Far, everyone who's gotten one has had high praise for it. (Including me) Every screen ever made has had an issue or 2. What matters is how the company reacts to such issues. So far, it seems that Elite is being very good about dealing with complaints.
As far as comparisons go: Never had or saw a monoprice screen, so no comment there. I previously owned a Visual Apex matte white screen. It was excellent with a very strong frame. (Thicker and stronger than the Elite frame)
post #104 of 137 Old 05-18-2014, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
post #105 of 137 Old 05-18-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggercb View Post

My quick initial impressions are this: you can't defeat physics and this screen isn't the holy grail, but this material is very good. My wife, who is not an A/V nut like myself, noticed an immediate difference. You can definitely watch this thing comfortably in a fully lit room.

It does suffer from hotspotting, but the further you sit from the screen, the less pronounced it is. I don't see the material texture or sparklies when I watch something as opposed to my last two screens. Also, the angle of projection is super important. My Optoma HD20 has a very shallow projection angle and I found that when I moved the screen up another 18 inches up the wall, the image was significantly brighter and more uniform(plus no more keystone!).

These are taken without moving the screen higher where the quality is better.

Hello everybody. I just installed my Cinegrey 5D screen yesterday. I am using it with an Epson 5030 projector. Before said screen I was using the projector against my white wall and I placed the projector in a coffee table situated at the far LEFT from the screen, NOT CENTERED. I "center" the image via lens shiftting. Because of terrible reflections I chose the Cinegrey 5D to help fix them and I got great results at that. The only terrible problem I am having is a very pronounced HOTSPOT that while being seated at the center of the screen, makes all images from the center to the left noticeable brighter than the images from the center to the right.

I am sitting at about 13" from the screen. The screen is a 135" but I am not filling it completely and no matter if I fill it completely or not (simulating a 100" e.g.) the hotspot still there. I can't sit farther because of my wall.

Do you think if I center the coffee table at the center of screen and thus the projector would be exactly at the center of the screen the problem would be gone?. Yesterday late at night I tried doing this and I could "swear" the problem was gone or at least diminished a lot but now I don't know if my mind was playing tricks on me. Of course I need more experimenting but I could center the projector at the screen doing some work with my wall but wouldn't want to do all the work and not getting any noticeable result.

Does the "solution" (centering the projector at the center of the screen) sound logical to you? I am at loss. I was very happy with the image of my projector and the size but didn't know it was going to be that hard and stressful and sometimes I think I should just give up on the projector, return it and buy a 75" HDTV. Please help me, I am at loss.

Additional question: Is is true that the closer you get the projector to the screen the less precise FOCUS you would get? Thanks!!
post #106 of 137 Old 05-18-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obonillaf View Post

Hello everybody. I just installed my Cinegrey 5D screen yesterday. I am using it with an Epson 5030 projector. Before said screen I was using the projector against my white wall and I placed the projector in a coffee table situated at the far LEFT from the screen, NOT CENTERED. I "center" the image via lens shiftting. Because of terrible reflections I chose the Cinegrey 5D to help fix them and I got great results at that. The only terrible problem I am having is a very pronounced HOTSPOT that while being seated at the center of the screen, makes all images from the center to the left noticeable brighter than the images from the center to the right.

I am sitting at about 13" from the screen. The screen is a 135" but I am not filling it completely and no matter if I fill it completely or not (simulating a 100" e.g.) the hotspot still there. I can't sit farther because of my wall.

Do you think if I center the coffee table at the center of screen and thus the projector would be exactly at the center of the screen the problem would be gone?. Yesterday late at night I tried doing this and I could "swear" the problem was gone or at least diminished a lot but now I don't know if my mind was playing tricks on me. Of course I need more experimenting but I could center the projector at the screen doing some work with my wall but wouldn't want to do all the work and not getting any noticeable result.

Does the "solution" (centering the projector at the center of the screen) sound logical to you? I am at loss. I was very happy with the image of my projector and the size but didn't know it was going to be that hard and stressful and sometimes I think I should just give up on the projector, return it and buy a 75" HDTV. Please help me, I am at loss.

Additional question: Is is true that the closer you get the projector to the screen the less precise FOCUS you would get? Thanks!!

Actually from reading the definition of hot spotting I am now not sure if what I am experiencing is hot spotting or not. I mean its not actually that I see a circular bright spot on the center of the screen but basically that the center to the left part of the screen is brighter than the center to right part...

Thank a you lot Ben. Yes I've been using the feet of my projector. I can perfectly live with a not perfectly rectangular shape. I've been doing some more experimenting and I think the problem is with some side windows I have precisely situated on the right side of the screen (the side that seems duller and not as bright). Maybe the reflect or shadow said windows are doing (in the day sun light, in the night some reflectors on the street) that create a "shadow" or external/outside brightness in the right part of the screen are the cause of me experiencing more brightness/clarity on the left side and duller/darker images on the right side. I did some experiment with a heavy mini curtain I have and the problem seem to be gone. Think I'll install black out curtains in all those right windows to get better results.

Funny think is that it is my wife who is convincing me to keep the projector and don't get the 75" HDTV!
post #107 of 137 Old 05-18-2014, 10:28 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillY2KFRC View Post

I've been looking for the same thing.. I e-mailed them and they said it was not an option. I guess the Supernova Flex Classic is as close as I can get to a reasonably priced, retractable, ambient light rejection screen?
post #108 of 137 Old 05-18-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:

Actually from reading the definition of hot spotting I am now not sure if what I am experiencing is hot spotting or not. I mean its not actually that I see a circular bright spot on the center of the screen but basically that the center to the left part of the screen is brighter than the center to right part...

Thank a you lot Ben. Yes I've been using the feet of my projector. I can perfectly live with a not perfectly rectangular shape. I've been doing some more experimenting and I think the problem is with some side windows I have precisely situated on the right side of the screen (the side that seems duller and not as bright). Maybe the reflect or shadow said windows are doing (in the day sun light, in the night some reflectors on the street) that create a "shadow" or external/outside brightness in the right part of the screen are the cause of me experiencing more brightness/clarity on the left side and duller/darker images on the right side. I did some experiment with a heavy mini curtain I have and the problem seem to be gone. Think I'll install black out curtains in all those right windows to get better results.

Funny think is that it is my wife who is convincing me to keep the projector and don't get the 75" HDTV!

I'm no expert since this is my first projection screen ever, but I would say that horizontally centering your projector on the screen should be the best location for uniform brightness on an angular reflective screen like this one. Considering that the screen does hot spot slightly you would probably want to project as close to center as possible and as far back as you can. My projector is 18 feet from the 125" 16:9 screen centered horizontally but hangs from the ceiling. As a result I "think" there may be a hot spot towards the top center of the screen. Its really not obvious at all and could even be a placebo as I don't see it AT ALL unless I really try to. I can say to back up your claim about the window that I do have light coming in from outside my room that does dim one side of the screen slightly but the screen is totally watchable under this condition. Once I tame that light the screen is pretty sharp from left to right and looks great! I think because the screen does such a good job at handling ambient light we overlook placement and light sources that might be detrimental to an already awesome picture with the lights on.

post #109 of 137 Old 05-18-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:

Send in an explanation and attach a pic , they got back to me within 30 min

Thanks. Yeah no fuss at all. They sent me an RMA # and just asked that I send my material in and they will replace it with a quality tested one from their warehouse. did you get your replacement yet? I havent had much time to remove my screen and all 100 clips attached. Lol

post #110 of 137 Old 05-18-2014, 11:06 PM

Well, I'm not returning my projector but even though I tried the screen with black out curtains the problem still there. Now I have done all the experimenting and the conclusion is: no matter where I place the projector (far to the left or to the center) if I seat exactly at the center of the screen or to the right of the screen from the center to the left is brighter than from the center to the right. Only if I seat toward the right of the screen all the screen now looks the same level of brightness as the "dull" side, I mean, everything has the same low brightness I see at the right side when I seat to the center.

I positioned the projector toward a white wall and now the picture looks at the same exact brightness so it's a fact that it's the screen that is causing said effect. The screen cost me +800 so I guess I will have to live with it. frown.gif

Wonder if I bought a Da Lite High Contrast Matte White if I would have the same problem or not that problem but the problem of reflections.

This Cinegrey 5D could have been the perfect screen!
post #111 of 137 Old 05-18-2014, 11:46 PM

As i said before Obonillaf, It really does seem like you'll be much happier with a screen that has uniform brightness across the entire screen. (I.E. a white screen) Call Elite and ask them if you can exchange the CINEGREY5D material for the CineWhite material. Since you already have blackout shades and a bright projector with great contrast, the Cinewhite with a 1.1 gain should serve you very well.
post #112 of 137 Old 05-19-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post

As i said before Obonillaf, It really does seem like you'll be much happier with a screen that has uniform brightness across the entire screen. (I.E. a white screen) Call Elite and ask them if you can exchange the CINEGREY5D material for the CineWhite material. Since you already have blackout shades and a bright projector with great contrast, the Cinewhite with a 1.1 gain should serve you very well.

The situation is that my living room reflections problem is not solved by the blackout curtains I have installed. All my room is white so I have reflections everywhere. I posted photos of my living room and everyone at avsforum told me that buying a "regular" screen like Da-Lite High Contrast Matte White (gain 1.1) could not help in anyway my problem and that I really needed a special screen for rejecting ambient light. While the Cinegrey 5D can't do miracles and is still affected if I turn the lights in my living room it has managed well the situation when watching at night. No more reflections issues caused by the white walls, ceiling, etc.

I guess I'll have to live with the issues that come along with higher gain and/or light rejecting screens. I think I might not be the only one living with this "problem" right and still enjoy the projector, right?
post #113 of 137 Old 05-19-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:

The situation is that my living room reflections problem is not solved by the blackout curtains I have installed. All my room is white so I have reflections everywhere. I posted photos of my living room and everyone at avsforum told me that buying a "regular" screen like Da-Lite High Contrast Matte White (gain 1.1) could not help in anyway my problem and that I really needed a special screen for rejecting ambient light. While the Cinegrey 5D can't do miracles and is still affected if I turn the lights in my living room it has managed well the situation when watching at night. No more reflections issues caused by the white walls, ceiling, etc.

I guess I'll have to live with the issues that come along with higher gain and/or light rejecting screens. I think I might not be the only one living with this "problem" right and still enjoy the projector, right?
My apologies for jumping to conclusions without getting all the facts.
Yes. it's true you need a grey screen. There might still be better solutions for your problem, though. If you want to mostly use the screen at night but still want better contrast, you might look into getting a regular grey screen with a lower gain. The advantage of a lower gain screen is less light reflected back to the walls with much wider viewing angles while still giving you improved contrast. Your projector (Epson 5030) has more than enough output to compensate for the lower screen gain.
Other options to look into (Apart from repainting your room) are the characteristics of light rejecting screens. Some screens reject overhead lights and others reject side lights. (the Cinegrey 5D looks to me to fall more into the overhead light side.)
Maybe if it's possible to move or angle your lights in a different direction.
I guess what I'm getting at is that your "problem" probably has a solution if you just continue to try different things.
Again, my apologies for jumping to conclusions.
post #114 of 137 Old 05-19-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post

My apologies for jumping to conclusions without getting all the facts.
Yes. it's true you need a grey screen. There might still be better solutions for your problem, though. If you want to mostly use the screen at night but still want better contrast, you might look into getting a regular grey screen with a lower gain. The advantage of a lower gain screen is less light reflected back to the walls with much wider viewing angles while still giving you improved contrast. Your projector (Epson 5030) has more than enough output to compensate for the lower screen gain.
Other options to look into (Apart from repainting your room) are the characteristics of light rejecting screens. Some screens reject overhead lights and others reject side lights. (the Cinegrey 5D looks to me to fall more into the overhead light side.)
Maybe if it's possible to move or angle your lights in a different direction.
I guess what I'm getting at is that your "problem" probably has a solution if you just continue to try different things.
Again, my apologies for jumping to conclusions.

Thank you for your help. I guess that the "off angle" loss in brightness is a fact of life that everyone with AR screen should learn to live, right? Actually, I've been reading about AR and it's said that AR screen dimmer at the edges than at the center, so for a viewer seated to the left, the picture is brighter on the left side of the screen than on the right. So, one way or the other, all being perfectly centered I would always have the edges dimmer, no way to get absolute 100% brightness uniformity, right?

I asked a question in the 5030 forum and I got these very informative reply:

"If the PJ is 4 feet to the left off center, then the (lets call it sweet spot) will be 4 feet to the right of center, at a height equal to the PJ. Lens shift has no impact on the light cone of an Angular Reflective screen. Angle of incidence equals angle of reflection."

My PJ is not at the center of the screen but a few inches to the left and I've been using lens shiffting. I guess that's why when I am seated at the center of the screen, I am NOT at the sweet spot but X inches away from the sweet spot and hence why I see the left side brighter than the right side. So yes, as you told me, I guess I just need to do more and more experimenting to get better results or if not at least to calm my OCD know that one way or the other, as I said, there's nothing more I can do with my screen as no AR screen will bring 100% uniformity, live with it and enjoy. You see, my OCD rests easily when I know there's nothing more I can do about X thing because that's how said thing works (its it's nature). My OCD triggers when I know X thing I am doing can be done better and I am not doing anything to fix it.
post #115 of 137 Old 05-23-2014, 08:56 AM

Liked: 14
Well I got my screen put up last night and all I can say is what a disapointment. I had an elite screen with the cinewhite material before and wanted to make things look better when there were some lights on. Well now I have a picture with a bright band from top to bottom in the center of the screen and to the left and right of this it is a lot dimmer. Also the picture has a real bad grain or screen door effect. Bottom line the picture is terrible. Not sure if there is anyway to correct this? My setup is an epson 5020 hung from the ceiling, it is centered left to right and is about 10 feet from the screen.
post #116 of 137 Old 05-23-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM250 View Post

Well I got my screen put up last night and all I can say is what a disapointment. I had an elite screen with the cinewhite material before and wanted to make things look better when there were some lights on. Well now I have a picture with a bright band from top to bottom in the center of the screen and to the left and right of this it is a lot dimmer. Also the picture has a real bad grain or screen door effect. Bottom line the picture is terrible. Not sure if there is anyway to correct this? My setup is an epson 5020 hung from the ceiling, it is centered left to right and is about 10 feet from the screen.
Your projector may be too high or your screen too low. Plus, 10 feet is a really short throw for this type of screen. I don't know how close you're seated. If you're seated too close, (8 feet or less?) you'll have more of a screen door effect because the screen has a higher gain in the middle. (Which is being amplified by the short throw.) The screen being much dimmer on the sides is also a consequence of the short throw coupled with the screens narrow viewing cone. Placement of projector, screen, and seating are extremely important for all light rejecting screens. And ,I suppose you know already, you must recalibrate your projector anytime you get a new screen.

Before you call Elite for an exchange, try experimenting with the placement of your projector and screen. If that's just not possible, or everything you've tried hasn't improved things, then get in touch with Elite. You may have a bad screen.
post #117 of 137 Old 05-23-2014, 02:45 PM

Liked: 14
Ben thanks. I have been playing around with the placement of the pj and nothing seems to fix the problem completely. Moving it back as far as I can and reducing the contrast has helped but it still looks like I have a spot light in the middle of the screen. I'm wondering if the combination of the short throw and the high light output of the projector is not the problem. I guess that if these screens are this touchy on placement then I guess they are not for me. The cinewhite gave me none of these problems. Oh we'll there's 400 down the toilet.
post #118 of 137 Old 05-23-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM250 View Post

Ben thanks. I have been playing around with the placement of the pj and nothing seems to fix the problem completely. Moving it back as far as I can and reducing the contrast has helped but it still looks like I have a spot light in the middle of the screen. I'm wondering if the combination of the short throw and the high light output of the projector is not the problem. I guess that if these screens are this touchy on placement then I guess they are not for me. The cinewhite gave me none of these problems. Oh we'll there's 400 down the toilet.

I think the material is great, not perfect but great. I've had minor issues but nothing like you describe. Do you think you can capture what you are seeing in a picture and post it here?

post #119 of 137 Old 05-23-2014, 03:55 PM

I agree with Quamosa. If it's possible to post photos of your room and your screen problems, perhaps we can collectively come up with a solution.
If all else fails, you may want to make an exchange for the regular cinegrey material.
post #120 of 137 Old 05-25-2014, 11:32 AM

I'm new to the projector game and am about to try out the BENQ W1070 and am looking for a reasonably priced screen that would be OK for 2D and 3D, and saw this Elite Screen on Amazon. I have a large basement with low ambient light. The projector will be ceiling mounted about 8ft high about 14ft from the screen. Seating should be about 9-11ft back. While for movie watching I'd be in front of the screen, the bar is on the other side of the basement and I'm wondering if the screen will look "OK" at side angles... say 45 degrees, for when I have friends around and people are sitting at the bar watching sports etc. In a couple of the posted pictures it seems reasonable but wanted to get thoughts.

Thanks in advance for feedback!

If anyone has alternate recommendations that would be good too.
Reply Screens

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page