Has ANYONE tried the Elite Cinegrey 5D screen yet? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 169 Old 05-25-2014, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 105
If you're In a basement, you'll have good light control. Get a matte white screen. You'll get even lighting across the entire screen at any viewing angle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 169 Old 05-25-2014, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjforum View Post

I'm new to the projector game and am about to try out the BENQ W1070 and am looking for a reasonably priced screen that would be OK for 2D and 3D, and saw this Elite Screen on Amazon. I have a large basement with low ambient light. The projector will be ceiling mounted about 8ft high about 14ft from the screen. Seating should be about 9-11ft back. While for movie watching I'd be in front of the screen, the bar is on the other side of the basement and I'm wondering if the screen will look "OK" at side angles... say 45 degrees, for when I have friends around and people are sitting at the bar watching sports etc. In a couple of the posted pictures it seems reasonable but wanted to get thoughts.

Thanks in advance for feedback!

If anyone has alternate recommendations that would be good too.

I'm using a W1070 and the cinegrey screen. I'm pretty happy with it, but if you have decent light control go with something like a Da-Lite High Contrast Matte White. That's my previous screen, and it has better uniformity than the cinegrey and is half the money. I did some limited testing with 3d and at least with 3d games the Da-Lite looked just fine.
post #123 of 169 Old 05-26-2014, 10:31 AM

Liked: 10
Thank for the feedback Ben38 and ruggerCB..

Looking for the Da-Lite,it only seems to come in the pull down version.. and is considerably cheaper at <$200 which is nice smile.gif . Is the link below the same screen you had ruggerCB?

http://www.amazon.com/Contrast-Manual-Projection-Screen-Viewing/dp/B000293QC8

Will the pull down have wave/tension problems? Or is better to get a fixed screen such as the Elite Cinewhite for a bit more.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00366S0UW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
post #124 of 169 Old 05-26-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjforum View Post

Thank for the feedback Ben38 and ruggerCB..

Looking for the Da-Lite,it only seems to come in the pull down version.. and is considerably cheaper at <$200 which is nice smile.gif . Is the link below the same screen you had ruggerCB?

http://www.amazon.com/Contrast-Manual-Projection-Screen-Viewing/dp/B000293QC8

Will the pull down have wave/tension problems? Or is better to get a fixed screen such as the Elite Cinewhite for a bit more.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00366S0UW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I think most of the Da-Lite material is available in fixed frame too. Don't quote me on that though. The link is indeed what I had only a little smaller. Mine was 92" diagonal. Fixed frame would be better; mine suffered from ripples and waves.

I'm not trying to sell the Elite Cinegrey 5D short; I find it to be a superior screen. I do not, however, think it's worth twice the money of these Da-Lite screens. Once you hit a certain point in quality, the gains are measured more in inches, not feet, if you know what I mean.
post #125 of 169 Old 05-29-2014, 04:26 AM

Liked: 14
Just a follow up on my bright band problem. I ended up contacting Elite about the problem and they had me try a few things. We were unable to resolve the issue so I am sending the screen back and there are going to replace it with a cinewhite screen at my request. What a joy it was to put my old cinewhite screen backup and see even brightness across the screen. I just wanted to give a big thumbs up to Elite service in there handling of my issue.
post #126 of 169 Old 05-29-2014, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM250 View Post

Just a follow up on my bright band problem. I ended up contacting Elite about the problem and they had me try a few things. We were unable to resolve the issue so I am sending the screen back and there are going to replace it with a cinewhite screen at my request. What a joy it was to put my old cinewhite screen backup and see even brightness across the screen. I just wanted to give a big thumbs up to Elite service in there handling of my issue.
Happy to hear you've resolved your problem. As much as i love my Cinegrey 5D, I'm not above saying that it's not for everyone. All high gain, light rejecting screens (Yes, including those $4000 dollar BD screens) should be considered the final option, not the first option. Happy to hear Elite did right by you KTM250. Enjoy your new Cinewhite screen.
post #127 of 169 Old 05-31-2014, 10:52 PM

The brightness uniformity thing has been bothering me a lot, so I did some experimenting. I moved the screen over a foot up the wall and it improved the image greatly. It seems it's not the angle I am from the screen but the angle the PJ is from the screen that really matters. After figuring out the problem I wholeheartedly recommend this screen material.

When I first bought the screen I had it up higher on the wall but ended up putting it lower permanently. I didn't realize it made such a huge difference when I dropped it a foot or so. Moral of the story- get the angles right for your angular reflective screen. smile.gif
post #128 of 169 Old 06-03-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggercb View Post

The brightness uniformity thing has been bothering me a lot, so I did some experimenting. I moved the screen over a foot up the wall and it improved the image greatly. It seems it's not the angle I am from the screen but the angle the PJ is from the screen that really matters. After figuring out the problem I wholeheartedly recommend this screen material.

When I first bought the screen I had it up higher on the wall but ended up putting it lower permanently. I didn't realize it made such a huge difference when I dropped it a foot or so. Moral of the story- get the angles right for your angular reflective screen. smile.gif

What size screen and what is your throw distance?

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #129 of 169 Old 06-03-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

What size screen and what is your throw distance?

100" Screen. I tried throw distance from minimum to maximum for the BenQ which is somewhere around 8-11 feet. It didn't matter too much it seems. I think one of the key components of the solution was NOT using the vertical lens shift on the PJ. That and just the proper angle from PJ to screen.
post #130 of 169 Old 06-04-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggercb View Post

100" Screen. I tried throw distance from minimum to maximum for the BenQ which is somewhere around 8-11 feet. It didn't matter too much it seems. I think one of the key components of the solution was NOT using the vertical lens shift on the PJ. That and just the proper angle from PJ to screen.

The minimum throw distance for that screen should be around 11'. Anything less will result in hot spotting.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #131 of 169 Old 07-02-2014, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Question

So I've noticed there is a ton of reviews about the performance of the CineGrey5D in ambient light conditions... I have not however heard much about its performance in dark, or near dark conditions. My room is mostly light controlled, with blackout curtains. The only light visible in the room is light through two double doors (from the side) which have frosted glass allowing diffused light to pass through during the day.

I do the majority of watching in the afternoon into the evening. I would say about 70% of the watching will happen when I have an almost completely dark room. However I want to be able to watch during the day, when there is ambient light from the glass doors. This lead me to look into this grey screen material.

So how does the CineGrey5D do at light controlled rooms? Is color accuracy lacking vs a white material screen?
post #132 of 169 Old 07-02-2014, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripplesixty View Post
So I've noticed there is a ton of reviews about the performance of the CineGrey5D in ambient light conditions... I have not however heard much about its performance in dark, or near dark conditions. My room is mostly light controlled, with blackout curtains. The only light visible in the room is light through two double doors (from the side) which have frosted glass allowing diffused light to pass through during the day.

I do the majority of watching in the afternoon into the evening. I would say about 70% of the watching will happen when I have an almost completely dark room. However I want to be able to watch during the day, when there is ambient light from the glass doors. This lead me to look into this grey screen material.

So how does the CineGrey5D do at light controlled rooms? Is color accuracy lacking vs a white material screen?
Tripplesixty this is my first screen so I cant really speak on the comparison with a white screen. I can just say that to my naked eye i don't notice any color shift. I have pics of movie scenes with lights on and off. The only thing that changes to my eyes is the contrast. I've had a few folks look at my screen with some lights on and they think it looks incredible. I can tell you it looks even better than that with the lights off and the colors still seem to pop whether lights are on or off. I am using the Panny 8000 which is a decently bright projector so that I'm sure has a little to do with the performance of the screen.

My First Build Ever in progress
post #133 of 169 Old 07-03-2014, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

i have not noticed color accuracy difference between my cinegrey 5d and my old cinewhite material. the biggest difference between the 2 screens is that i can watch the pj with the lights on where as i could not with the white screen. with the lights off i havent noticed much of a difference in picture quality, maybe i could if i could do a side by side. but not having that i havent noticed any difference. if your looking for a ambient light screen i would recommend the cinegrey 5d. i love this screen!!!
post #134 of 169 Old 07-03-2014, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone that has seen both the Cinegray 5D Ambient Light Rejecting screens and the regular Cinegray high contrast screens feel like there is a difference to the naked eye in terms of how each screen displays the images with the lights on?
post #135 of 169 Old 07-03-2014, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS78 View Post
Does anyone that has seen both the Cinegray 5D Ambient Light Rejecting screens and the regular Cinegray high contrast screens feel like there is a difference to the naked eye in terms of how each screen displays the images with the lights on?
Regular cinegrey is discontinued
post #136 of 169 Old 07-04-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post
Regular cinegrey is discontinued
Perhaps it is. But a bunch of the places still sell it like Amazon, etc. I am just wandering about the difference discontinued or not.
post #137 of 169 Old 07-07-2014, 09:01 AM

Bump....anyone?
post #138 of 169 Old 08-07-2014, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
is there anything within this price range/quality with a thin bezel like the zero edge or UTB contour? this will be my first setup so not sure i want to shell out that much for a screen as i'm not sure if 120" will be too big.
(12' throw, 11' seating roughly, benq w1070)
post #139 of 169 Old 10-09-2014, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quamosa View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by gotmilk516 

Send in an explanation and attach a pic , they got back to me within 30 min

Thanks. Yeah no fuss at all. They sent me an RMA # and just asked that I send my material in and they will replace it with a quality tested one from their warehouse. did you get your replacement yet? I havent had much time to remove my screen and all 100 clips attached. Lol
Was the new screen material better? I just got a 120" and I love the performance both with and without ambient light, but the bright bands are pretty bothersome during pans. If I could send in for one without the bands, it'd be great, but I don't want to bother if this is just a property of the material.
post #140 of 169 Old 10-09-2014, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by catch20two View Post
Was the new screen material better? I just got a 120" and I love the performance both with and without ambient light, but the bright bands are pretty bothersome during pans. If I could send in for one without the bands, it'd be great, but I don't want to bother if this is just a property of the material.
The answer is an emphatic yes. There are zero bands in the replacement material and it looks perfect!

My First Build Ever in progress
post #141 of 169 Old 10-25-2014, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How are viewing angles on this material vs the cinewhite?
post #142 of 169 Old 10-25-2014, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkaba View Post
How are viewing angles on this material vs the cinewhite?
The Cinegrey 5d concentrates brightness towards the center of the screen to fight the ambient light. The viewing cone is about 30 percent. What that means is maximum screen brightness is from the center of the screen and going out 30 degrees from the center. So if you're seated more than 30 degrees from the center of the screen, the screen's brightness will be less. The Cinewhite has a much larger viewing cone, so its brightness is more uniform from any seating position.
That doesn't mean that the Cinegrey 5d fades into nothingness at strong angles like an LCD TV does. Even at strong angles the screen is still very watchable.

Here's a video i shot some months ago that shows the viewing angles of this screen.
quamosa likes this.
post #143 of 169 Old 10-29-2014, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
The Cinegrey 5d concentrates brightness towards the center of the screen to fight the ambient light. The viewing cone is about 30 percent. What that means is maximum screen brightness is from the center of the screen and going out 30 degrees from the center. So if you're seated more than 30 degrees from the center of the screen, the screen's brightness will be less. The Cinewhite has a much larger viewing cone, so its brightness is more uniform from any seating position.
That doesn't mean that the Cinegrey 5d fades into nothingness at strong angles like an LCD TV does. Even at strong angles the screen is still very watchable.

Here's a video i shot some months ago that shows the viewing angles of this screen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SbsxjdslqM
Thanks for the video, was quite helpful. It seems more than acceptable from extreme viewing angles. I'm trying to decide on a matte white vs this cinegrey 5d screen for my basement. It will be a light controlled room, but being able to watch TV during the day with the kids running around it's much more practical to not have to make the room real dark.
post #144 of 169 Old 11-10-2014, 04:11 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Hey guys,

Quick question:

I am planing to get the Epson 5030UB for 150" diagonal 16:9 screen that is 22 feet away.

Usually, I will watch movies at night - so limited to no ambient light.

In such a scenario, am I better off with the CineWhite, or the CineGrey5D? Given that the distance is pretty long, which one will look brighter/better contrast/colors in a light controlled environment? thanks
post #145 of 169 Old 11-10-2014, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

It depends on what you consider a light controlled environment. There's more to having a light controlled room than just using the room at night. The color of your walls and ceiling play a big part in controlling light. How close is the screen to your ceiling? Do you have a highly reflective floor? There's a number of variables involved here before an opinion on a screen can be considered.
post #146 of 169 Old 11-10-2014, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo11 View Post
Hey guys,

Quick question:

I am planing to get the Epson 5030UB for 150" diagonal 16:9 screen that is 22 feet away.

Usually, I will watch movies at night - so limited to no ambient light.

In such a scenario, am I better off with the CineWhite, or the CineGrey5D? Given that the distance is pretty long, which one will look brighter/better contrast/colors in a light controlled environment? thanks
Quote:
It depends on what you consider a light controlled environment. There's more to having a light controlled room than just using the room at night. The color of your walls and ceiling play a big part in controlling light. How close is the screen to your ceiling? Do you have a highly reflective floor? There's a number of variables involved here before an opinion on a screen can be considered.

ben38 is right.... it depends, however in a perfectly light controlled room use a white screen, typically you get better colors and with these materials you will have less chance of hot spotting and vignette effect... The projector you mention is SUPER bright (i have one so i know)... but if you ever have ambient light and want to use it during the day, atleast consider a grey screen.
post #147 of 169 Old 11-10-2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Hey guys , thanks for the reply. The screen will be 2 feet away from the ceiling and 3 feet off the floor. The right and left walls are about 4-6 feet away on each side. All walls and ceilings are white matte color, even my floor is white-colored matte parquet.

Projector is perfectly centered and 22 feet away from the screen. I sit 18 feet away from the screen.

Two concerns I had:

(1) you mentioned a white screen will have better colors in night-time viewing in my setup, but will it have as good or better contrast/deepblacks as the CineGrey5D ? this seems to be an open question in this thread...
(2) everyone is mentioning the positioning angles are important to take advantage of the CineGrey5D. Although I and my projector will be centered, are the distances mentioned above ok for the reflective nature of the Grey5D?

Thank you!

Last edited by twinturbo11; 11-11-2014 at 01:26 AM.
post #148 of 169 Old 11-11-2014, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo11 View Post
Hey guys , thanks for the reply. The screen will be 2 feet away from the ceiling and 3 feet off the floor. The right and left walls are about 4-6 feet away on each side. All walls and ceilings are white matte color, even my floor is white-colored matte parquet.

Projector is perfectly centered and 22 feet away from the screen. I sit 18 feet away from the screen.

Two concerns I had:

(1) you mentioned a white screen will have better colors in night-time viewing in my setup, but will it have as good or better contrast/deepblacks as the CineGrey5D ? this seems to be an open question in this thread...
(2) everyone is mentioning the positioning angles are important to take advantage of the CineGrey5D. Although I and my projector will be centered, are the distances mentioned above ok?

Thank you!
This is why I asked about the colors of your ceiling and walls. It's good that your screen is not too close to the ceiling, but you're far from having a light controlled room. In this case, a gray screen with extra gain is what you need.
You'll need the extra gain because despite the 5030ub having a reputation of being a light cannon, it's really only super bright in Dynamic mode. Even in dynamic mode the 5030ub will stuggle to light up a 150 inch screen at 22 feet.
I've personally measured the gain on the Cinegray 5D with the projector aimed at the center of the screen to be just over 1.3 at center, and slightly over 1.0 at the sides. (not as high as advertised, but still pretty good)
With those numbers in mind, in dynamic mode, the Epson 5030ub can put out 13 footlamberts onto your 150 inch screen at 22 feet. In a dark room, that's enough to give you a pretty good looking image. However, once you switch to any other mode, the picture will dim quite a bit.

As to you first concern, the Cinegrey 5D will preserve your blacks and contrast much better than a white screen could in your room.
post #149 of 169 Old 11-11-2014, 04:32 AM

Quote:

As to you first concern, the Cinegrey 5D will preserve your blacks and contrast much better than a white screen could in your room.

Thank you very much for your advice. I just called Elite and I am screwed.

Apparently the CineGrey 5D only comes in a fixed frame, not a roll, because it is "too thin". Only the maxwhite, cinewhite, and standard cinegrey come in a roll. Unfortunately I need to have to have a motorized screen roll, because it is coming down directly in front of a large book case/entertainment center. Any ideas on what i should do/consider? thank you
post #150 of 169 Old 11-11-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
ben38 is right.... it depends, however in a perfectly light controlled room use a white screen, typically you get better colors and with these materials you will have less chance of hot spotting and vignette effect... The projector you mention is SUPER bright (i have one so i know)... but if you ever have ambient light and want to use it during the day, atleast consider a grey screen.
I wonder if a 1.3 or 1.5 gain white color screen make sense for me? Or should higher gains be used in conjunction with grey color screens..
Reply Screens

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread - Ptae8000u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page