Has ANYONE tried the Elite Cinegrey 5D screen yet? - Page 7 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #181 of 192 Old 01-22-2015, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Vival View Post
Unsure. Right now it's projecting around 100". Even when I put my head more or less in line vertically with the projector in its close spot it didn't look all that great.
Unfortunately, screen samples (especially small ones) are almost useless for ALR screens. You have to see a full size ALR screen in action to get a GENERAL idea of how it looks. I emphasized GENERAL because every room and setup is different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 192 Old 01-26-2015, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Long time no see everyone! I've not even looked at this thread since maybe last summer(lame I know). I've been happily using my Cinegrey 5d but am building a new house, and looking in to doing maybe a curved screen. Has anyone seen this kind of material in a curved screen and what it does to the picture? I wonder if it would make the brightness uniformity better or worse.
post #183 of 192 Old 02-13-2015, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggercb View Post
I've been happily using my Cinegrey 5d but am building a new house, and looking in to doing maybe a curved screen. Has anyone seen this kind of material in a curved screen and what it does to the picture? I wonder if it would make the brightness uniformity better or worse.
For angular reflective surfaces, a curved screen should, at least in theory, improve the brightness uniformity as it reduces the centre-to-side variations in the angle of reflection.

However, based on some experimentation I did, I don't think I like the curved projection screens. One issue is the geometric distortion - a projected rectangle becomes slightly barrel-shaped (note that curved TVs do not have this issue).

Also, with only four or five inches of curvature (for a 120" screen), perceptually there's hardly any increase in the "immersion" effect which curved screen are supposed to provide.
post #184 of 192 Old 02-13-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
For angular reflective surfaces, a curved screen should, at least in theory, improve the brightness uniformity as it reduces the centre-to-side variations in the angle of reflection.

However, based on some experimentation I did, I don't think I like the curved projection screens. One issue is the geometric distortion - a projected rectangle becomes slightly barrel-shaped (note that curved TVs do not have this issue).

Also, with only four or five inches of curvature (for a 120" screen), perceptually there's hardly any increase in the "immersion" effect which curved screen are supposed to provide.
Makes sense. I've thought about doing an anamorphic lens (the DIY "award prism") and a 2.35:1 screen, and with that I think the curvature might be more immersive, but with a 16:9 I would tend to agree with you.

The main reason I would try a curved 16:9 screen is for better brightness uniformity, but with my limited experimentation it hasn't done the trick. As often as not, the movies/gaming I do on the PJ is on a couch that's about 20-30 degrees off axis, so a curved screen might actually make it worse. I don't know, really. The brightest area tends to follow you around the room, so maybe having the closer edge to you slightly duller and the offside edge brighter might actually improve it.

Time for more experimentation.
post #185 of 192 Old 02-13-2015, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I've been toying with the idea of a projector. The CineGrey 5D looks like it would meet my needs (ambient light rejecting) and budget. Reading through this thread though, it appears to be a bad fit for my room. The projector would be ceiling mounted (8' ceilings, tight-ish to the ceiling), about 12-13' from the wall, seating distance at 12', and a approximate 92" screen. Projector wise it would be matched to an Epson 5025 or Sony VPL-HW40ES.

Is the consensus still that this would simply be a bad fit due to hot spotting, distance and the amount of vertical lens shift I would need?
post #186 of 192 Old 02-13-2015, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew67 View Post
So I've been toying with the idea of a projector. The CineGrey 5D looks like it would meet my needs (ambient light rejecting) and budget. Reading through this thread though, it appears to be a bad fit for my room. The projector would be ceiling mounted (8' ceilings, tight-ish to the ceiling), about 12-13' from the wall, seating distance at 12', and a approximate 92" screen. Projector wise it would be matched to an Epson 5025 or Sony VPL-HW40ES.

Is the consensus still that this would simply be a bad fit due to hot spotting, distance and the amount of vertical lens shift I would need?
Is your screen 92 inches wide or Diagonal?

Anyway, if your screen is 92 inches wide, (105 inches diagonal) you should have a minimum of 11.5 feet of throw. (1.5 times the width)
At 92 inches diagonal, (80.25 inches wide) you should have a minimum of 10 feet of throw.
At these minimum throw distances the hotspot shouldn't be too intense. At longer throw distances, the hotspot intensity will be further reduced.

The Lens shift doesn't have any effect on the hotspot itself, but using too much lens shift may create slight barrel distortion and chromatic aberrations.

A 92 inch screen (92 inches diagonal or 105 inches diagonal) at a 12 foot viewing distance is a relatively small screen. Either one of those projectors has lots of lumens for a screen that small. You may not need a specialty screen.
Get the projector first and project onto a bare wall or a white sheet to determine if a specialty screen is necessary.
post #187 of 192 Old 02-13-2015, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks for the reply. I was originally thinking about a 92" screen as my TV is 55" and a 92" seems HUGE, but maybe 100-110" would be better. I was worried about the vertical lens shift as to how that light would be reflected off of an ALR screen, but I may be over thinking things. This is all new to me. I also just discovered that unlike a TV screen, with a projector your eye level should be 1/3 up from the bottom of the screen. With that in mind, vertical lens shift is even less of a problem.

It was this post that had me concerned...

hotspot concerns

Although he was dealing with horizontal lens shift and not vertical.
post #188 of 192 Old 02-13-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew67 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I was originally thinking about a 92" screen as my TV is 55" and a 92" seems HUGE, but maybe 100-110" would be better. I was worried about the vertical lens shift as to how that light would be reflected off of an ALR screen, but I may be over thinking things. This is all new to me. I also just discovered that unlike a TV screen, with a projector your eye level should be 1/3 up from the bottom of the screen. With that in mind, vertical lens shift is even less of a problem.

It was this post that had me concerned...

hotspot concerns

Although he was dealing with horizontal lens shift and not vertical.
I found the vertical lens shift on my benq w1070 really degraded the image quality. It was a lot less bright. Maybe it's just the PJ, but I think I'd steer clear of lens shift if possible.

This is a pretty good screen. I only notice the brightness roll off when it's running from my PC and there's a web page up, or the desktop or something. In motion I don't see it. Also, I NEVER watch it with all the lights off. There is always at least one light on in the living room, so it really does do a good job of perceived brightness/contrast.
post #189 of 192 Old 02-16-2015, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I found the vertical lens shift on my benq w1070 really degraded the image quality. It was a lot less bright. Maybe it's just the PJ, but I think I'd steer clear of lens shift if possible.
The lens shift, by itself, should not cause a noticeable decrease in brightness for non-directional screens. For directional screens such as the Cinegrey 5D, the decrease in brightness is most likely caused by the change in the reflection angles between the projector, screen and viewing position, not by the use of lens shift per se.
post #190 of 192 Old 02-16-2015, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This is a pretty good screen. I only notice the brightness roll off when it's running from my PC and there's a web page up, or the desktop or something. In motion I don't see it. Also, I NEVER watch it with all the lights off. There is always at least one light on in the living room, so it really does do a good job of perceived brightness/contrast.
The w1070 wasn't really made for lens shifting. Even though it does have a minor amount of vertical shift, it's better not to use it. The w1070 is a budget projector with a budget lens. To be fair, even more expensive projectors have lenses that suffer a loss in quality when light is hitting the edges.
post #191 of 192 Old 02-22-2015, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
The w1070 wasn't really made for lens shifting. Even though it does have a minor amount of vertical shift, it's better not to use it. The w1070 is a budget projector with a budget lens. To be fair, even more expensive projectors have lenses that suffer a loss in quality when light is hitting the edges.

So.. Is the w1070 a good fit for the screen. My projection position is making a 96 inch picture on my wall, and when I measured it, it was 1.45X throw to size with no zoom. I have a w1070.

My room has light control issues. It's an apartment with big windows, a kitchen ect and this screen sounds like it's a fit, but I'm concerned that the throw isn't log enough on the Benq for the screen...

Thought?

EDIT:

The Benq has a 1.5 throw ratio as it is. So I'm guessing, by reading this thread that it just meets the 1.5 ratio for a decent result.

Last edited by Clob; Yesterday at 04:28 PM.
post #192 of 192 Unread Today, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Can anyone comment on how well these screens work as a main display in a living room?

I have been looking into projectors and screens for quite awhile now. I'm pretty set between two options. Keep the plasma for casual viewing and use an Elunevision 4k Tab Tensioned Screen that can come down in front of the plasma or ditch the plasma and use use the Cinegrey 5D for all viewing. From an aesthetics, cost, and ease of installation standpoint, I'd prefer to go with the Cinegrey. I'm just slightly worried about the picture quality, mainly the contrast as I'm used to the Plasma.

I plan to purchase the Sony hw40es projector which will be mounted on a shelf above the couch. I can mount it at any reasonable height above the couch, so would probably mount it as low as possible on the wall and then find where to mount the screen to maintain the same incoming and outgoing angle. The room is somewhat light controlled from outside light so when the blinds are closed, no direct light comes through but the room is still slightly bright. The only two lights in the room are on a dimmer and I usually only keep one light on that is near the same wall as the screen. The walls are all white, but one side wall is too far away to cause reflections and the ceiling is angled so shouldn't cause issues. The other side wall is close by so I may decide to add curtains of some sort along the wall but would only do that if it causes issues.

Anyone have thoughts on this? Would I be disappointed with having only the projector and Cinegrey or do you think that the pros of it will outweigh the cons?

Denon X4000 | Paradigm Studio 60s | Paradigm Studio CC-590 | Dual SVS PB-2000s | Panasonic GT50
Reply Screens

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread - Ptae8000u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page