Has ANYONE tried the Elite Cinegrey 5D screen yet? - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #241 of 259 Old 12-16-2015, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
It would be this but in the 120" size.

http://shop.elitescreens.com/ezFrameCineGrey5D-1.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 259 Old 05-02-2016, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good morning everyone,

I've been browsing these forums for a few weeks now and garnered a lot of useful information so thank you all for that.

I'm getting a Viewsonic PJD7828HDL (won it at work) and while I don't have it yet, I've done all the room calculations, etc... to determine best screen size. What I'm not sure about is which screen material to get, I keep going back and forth between the Cinewhite and the Cinegrey5D screens. My room can be pretty bright during the day but I intend on getting some blackout pull down shades for the one window in the room so lighting shouldn't be much of an issue. Unfortunately the walls and ceiling are white.

The screen will be 110" diagonal, the projector will be 12' away and seating will be about 12'-13'. I intend on using this for pretty much all my TV viewing and 2D/3D movies/gaming at any time of day.

I've already built a wooden frame (along with led lights in the back).

Any advice on which screen to get? Does anyone have any experience with this projector?

I'd include an image of the frame currently mounted where the screen will be but I can't do so until I'm over 5 posts apparently!
post #243 of 259 Old 05-27-2016, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhrakken View Post
Good morning everyone,

I've been browsing these forums for a few weeks now and garnered a lot of useful information so thank you all for that.

I'm getting a Viewsonic PJD7828HDL (won it at work) and while I don't have it yet, I've done all the room calculations, etc... to determine best screen size. What I'm not sure about is which screen material to get, I keep going back and forth between the Cinewhite and the Cinegrey5D screens. My room can be pretty bright during the day but I intend on getting some blackout pull down shades for the one window in the room so lighting shouldn't be much of an issue. Unfortunately the walls and ceiling are white.

The screen will be 110" diagonal, the projector will be 12' away and seating will be about 12'-13'. I intend on using this for pretty much all my TV viewing and 2D/3D movies/gaming at any time of day.

I've already built a wooden frame (along with led lights in the back).

Any advice on which screen to get? Does anyone have any experience with this projector?

I'd include an image of the frame currently mounted where the screen will be but I can't do so until I'm over 5 posts apparently!
I was originally looking to get Carl's ALR screen material however, with a lack of reviews whereas the 5D is somewhat proven and having now found it on Amazon at a very reasonable price (http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-.../dp/B00XBZFKPG) I'm now considering switching to the 5D after reading through various threads myself.

I'm very on the fence between Carl's ALR and the 5D.
post #244 of 259 Old 07-07-2016, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonBenji View Post
I was originally looking to get Carl's ALR screen material however, with a lack of reviews whereas the 5D is somewhat proven and having now found it on Amazon at a very reasonable price (http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-.../dp/B00XBZFKPG) I'm now considering switching to the 5D after reading through various threads myself.

I'm very on the fence between Carl's ALR and the 5D.
Did you order the 5D?

I am thinking either the 3D or 5D. Can't find much information on what the difference is between the two except the gain. And can't really find comparison between the two screens.
post #245 of 259 Old 07-08-2016, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfslayer View Post
It would be this but in the 120" size.

http://shop.elitescreens.com/ezFrameCineGrey5D-1.aspx
Thanks
post #246 of 259 Old 07-08-2016, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Anyone compared this material to the SI Slate .8 material? I pinged SI and they recommended the Slate material to me. Not keen to spend 5k on a screen tho...
post #247 of 259 Old 07-08-2016, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Gain and viewing angle - 1.2 and 90deg for the 3D, 1.5 and 80deg for the 5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykebr View Post
Did you order the 5D?

I am thinking either the 3D or 5D. Can't find much information on what the difference is between the two except the gain. And can't really find comparison between the two screens.
post #248 of 259 Old 07-08-2016, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3_FRB View Post
This seems about right to me. I've played with material samples of both along with the Carl's ALR. The Carl's and Cinegrey 3D are nearly identical. If the 3d is 1.2 gain then I would say Carl's is 1.3. Carl's has the smoothest texture of all three. The 5d obviously is the brightest and exhibits the worst hotspotting. Despite I do like the 5d image the most. It looks the closest to a flat panel TV. The 3D has the best blacks - if you are using a high lumen PJ it might work for you.
post #249 of 259 Old 07-08-2016, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerodynamics View Post
This seems about right to me. I've played with material samples of both along with the Carl's ALR. The Carl's and Cinegrey 3D are nearly identical. If the 3d is 1.2 gain then I would say Carl's is 1.3. Carl's has the smoothest texture of all three. The 5d obviously is the brightest and exhibits the worst hotspotting. Despite I do like the 5d image the most. It looks the closest to a flat panel TV. The 3D has the best blacks - if you are using a high lumen PJ it might work for you.
Hey guys thank you very much.
I am planning on buying EPSON 2045 3LCD 2200 LUMENS since you said the 3D has the best blacks I think I'll go with it since I am using it in a multi-room sounds like my best option.
post #250 of 259 Old 07-10-2016, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykebr View Post
Did you order the 5D?

I ended up getting the Carl's ALR due to availability of the 5D but if what @aerodynamics is saying is true, I wish I had gotten the 5D....

I haven't got the Carl's up yet, been a nightmare to find poplar >8ft in length.
post #251 of 259 Old 07-10-2016, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Home Depot and Lowes both carry poplar. Otherwise go with oak - more expensive but an even better choice in terms of hardness and holding true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonBenji View Post

I haven't got the Carl's up yet, been a nightmare to find poplar >8ft in length.
post #252 of 259 Old 07-10-2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Home Depot and Lowes both carry poplar. Otherwise go with oak - more expensive but an even better choice in terms of hardness and holding true.
None of the Home Depots around me have any lengths greater than 8ft, haven't given Lowes a proper go yet though.
post #253 of 259 Old 07-11-2016, 12:54 AM

Also, the 3D has a distinct warm tone that the 5D doesn't have. Very noticeable when comparing the two. I think that is part of the ISF certification.

Last edited by aerodynamics; 07-11-2016 at 01:13 AM.
post #254 of 259 Old 07-11-2016, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 16
which of the 3 have less sparkles ? 3d/5D or carl´s ?
Which has the best extinction in polarized 3d ?
post #255 of 259 Old 07-12-2016, 11:42 AM

Cinegrey 3D and Carl's show virtually no sparkling. Carl's material has a smoother texture though. When compared with the other two the 5D shows the most sparkling but it's minimal and when viewed by itself you really don't notice it.
post #256 of 259 Old 07-20-2016, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerodynamics View Post
Cinegrey 3D and Carl's show virtually no sparkling. Carl's material has a smoother texture though. When compared with the other two the 5D shows the most sparkling but it's minimal and when viewed by itself you really don't notice it.
How about crosstalk in 3d, atleast card´s does not seem to have preticulary good extinction values. Has anyone tried polarized 3d on neither one ?
post #257 of 259 Old 07-20-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaan Janne View Post
How about crosstalk in 3d, atleast card´s does not seem to have preticulary good extinction values. Has anyone tried polarized 3d on neither one ?
Haven't tried 3d so I can't comment on that.
post #258 of 259 Old 07-21-2016, 05:19 AM

Does any of you have any samples of the carl´s ALR? its too expensive for me to order the sample from carl´s as the postal fees are ridicilous.

Is there hot spotting on carl´s ALR ?
post #259 of 259 Old 08-02-2016, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmilk516 View Post
A few emails back and forth and a Pic and Elite sending me new material . I was expecting to have to battle with them but NO , there like we see the issue and fill out this warranty claim for and will send you new material : )
Hello, I am new to this forum, so I am not allowed to send PMs.
Could please anyone reading this, noticing the user gotmilk about my questions?

@GOT milk

First of all, the screen on the photos you provided in this thread really look awesome.
Do you still like the screen?
Have you you run into issues like hotspotting, even in optimal seating position?

My scenario is as follows:
I have currently an ezframe 110" with cinewhite material installed in my bright colored living room.
Seating distance seems similar as in your case. (sofa is on the one wall, screen on the other).
Both walls are at about 14.33 feet (4.3 metres) distance. My projector is located above my head (mounted at ceiling) and my throw ratio is at about 1.45 or something. Most likely I will swap my PJ at christmas and get a throw ratio of about 1.55.

I am noticing on your photos that your PJ is located at a rather low level compared to the upper edge of the screen. Is this intended for some reason?
In my my current case, my projector is a bit higher located than the upper screen frame edge. Do you think this might cause problems?

Could you please tell me your room width (as I am seeing your PJ is "located in the wall" this should be the distance PJ <-> Screen) and/or the resulting throw ratio?

This would be a big help for me to find a decision for or against a cinegrey 5D material.

Many thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread