Has ANYONE tried the Elite Cinegrey 5D screen yet? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 164 Old 11-22-2013, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for a screen to go with my Panasonic AE8000 and I have a very dark room with controlled lighting. Has ANYONE tried this screen material. Elite called me and recommended this over the standard cinegrey, and said the standard white would be good, but this would be the best of all, I'd like to hear of SOMEONE who has tried it.
Anyone? :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 164 Old 12-01-2013, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsteele93 View Post

I am looking for a screen to go with my Panasonic AE8000 and I have a very dark room with controlled lighting. Has ANYONE tried this screen material. Elite called me and recommended this over the standard cinegrey, and said the standard white would be good, but this would be the best of all, I'd like to hear of SOMEONE who has tried it.
Anyone? :-)

They sent me a bunch of samples, I would suggest you do this for every product being considered. They tried to steer me towards the same material for some reason , they must be overstocked wink.gifwink.gif

Seriously though, this can be a really expensive purchase and you'll be surprised how different the products are .

How big is the screen you will use, what aspect and how far from the screen is your PJ? Are you going to watch 3D, that is important too?
post #3 of 164 Old 01-14-2014, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Tried the Silver 5D and 3D was not impressed. The 1.8 gain is just not there . I would say it looks closer to 1.1. They claim, this is ok for passive and active 3D. It may be ok for passive, it does not work with the active glasses. In fact, just viewing the material in 2D without any glasses and it appears to be much dimmer than my 1.3 fabric. Same for the 3D .product . Works with ambient light like the Black Diamond product , I'm not sure that is what it was
advertized to do or not, very confusing IMHO .
post #4 of 164 Old 02-02-2014, 02:47 PM

Its super hard to find any reviews on the Cinegrey 5D material apparently. Anybody has any links with reviews/testimonials from other forums. I am trying to find a solution with ALR capabilities without breaking the bank with black diamond. How does this material compare with the SI black diamond or slate material? Also is it better to just stick with the powergain which seems to be have higher gain 1.8 vs 1.5,

In my case viewing angles are important and screen uniformity. It seems that black diamond may have a bit limited viewing angles and somewhat not 100% screen uniformity, or I could be wrong and this may have been resolved in current generations. How are the two elite products PowerGain and Cinegrey 5D performing in this category.

I understand that in light controlled room its better to go with a popular white and 1.4 gain or something but the ambient light in my case forces me to look for a trade off.
post #5 of 164 Old 03-11-2014, 02:48 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghus View Post

Its super hard to find any reviews on the Cinegrey 5D material apparently. Anybody has any links with reviews/testimonials from other forums. I am trying to find a solution with ALR capabilities without breaking the bank with black diamond. How does this material compare with the SI black diamond or slate material? Also is it better to just stick with the powergain which seems to be have higher gain 1.8 vs 1.5,

In my case viewing angles are important and screen uniformity. It seems that black diamond may have a bit limited viewing angles and somewhat not 100% screen uniformity, or I could be wrong and this may have been resolved in current generations. How are the two elite products PowerGain and Cinegrey 5D performing in this category.

I understand that in light controlled room its better to go with a popular white and 1.4 gain or something but the ambient light in my case forces me to look for a trade off.

I'm in the same boat as you, here is the guy who posted the youtube video who gave a little more description:

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/thread/32468/current-living-room-setup?page=1&scrollTo=556612

"The CineGrey 5D material from Elite Screens is their answer to other brands' "ambient light rejecting" screen material -see, SI Black Diamond or dnp SuperNova. One thing to note about ambient light rejecting screens is this; they're not rejecting anything, they're merely more directional than traditional projection screens. This means that the angle with which your projector's lens is aimed at the screen will be mirrored back -albeit opposite or upside down -to your primary viewing chair(s). So if your projector is aimed downward at say 10-degrees (just spit-balling) then you need to make sure to mount the screen at such a height and sit far enough back so that your primary chairs are located somewhere in the vicinity of 10-degrees down of center. This will ensure that you get the brightest, most accurate image reproduction regardless of the lighting conditions in your room -provided of course your projector is the brightest source of direct light. So the screen itself isn't rejecting anything, it's merely reflecting back the brightest source of light in the room the most, which it assumes is stemming from your projector's lens. Sit off axis by too great a degree and the image does begin to wash out. If your off-axis angle also coincides with another light source, well, that source will be reflected back at you likely more clearly than the light coming from your projector. All so-called AMBIENT LIGHT REJECTING screens react this way.

In a light controlled environment the CineGrey 5D material becomes a light reflecting monster, meaning it can make your dull projector appear brighter than it really is. This also makes it prone to hot spotting and/or shimmer depending upon the source material. Again, this is not a knock against the CineGrey 5D but rather something you must consider when shopping for any ambient light rejecting screen material -SI or dnp included. Knowing that, and having lived with both SI's Black Diamond as well as dnp's SuperNova for a spell, I'd rather spend less for comparable performance which is why I side with Elite in this instance. The CineGrey 5D material is very comparable to the competition yet costs a fraction of the price. I believe prices for 100" diagonal EZ Frame screen with CineGrey 5D start at around $800 whereas a comparable SI screen will run you upwards of $2,699 plus shipping (100" Black Diamond G3, HD 1.4 gain fixed frame from Projector People)."

I think i'm going to pick one up and see how it goes.
post #6 of 164 Old 03-11-2014, 03:45 PM

Yeah its impossible to find any respectable reviews from the known sites or anywhere from that matter. I asked for a sample though to test it with my projector and light conditions. I would not say I was satisfied. The hotspoting was pretty amplified like nothing I have seen before and I am rookie having only tested a small number of samples out there. the screen sample was wierd i have to say. It looked more like a cut out of huge plastic disposal bag than anything else. I know it may sound bad, but I would advice to order one for your self and experiment. Customer service was fantastic and even though I like other material from elite this one not so impressive for my taste. I actually got a portable screen from elite that is more like standard white 1.1 to be able to transport to family and friends but the opening in my home theater room for a good performing gray is still open.
post #7 of 164 Old 03-11-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghus View Post

Yeah its impossible to find any respectable reviews from the known sites or anywhere from that matter. I asked for a sample though to test it with my projector and light conditions. I would not say I was satisfied. The hotspoting was pretty amplified like nothing I have seen before and I am rookie having only tested a small number of samples out there. the screen sample was wierd i have to say. It looked more like a cut out of huge plastic disposal bag than anything else. I know it may sound bad, but I would advice to order one for your self and experiment. Customer service was fantastic and even though I like other material from elite this one not so impressive for my taste. I actually got a portable screen from elite that is more like standard white 1.1 to be able to transport to family and friends but the opening in my home theater room for a good performing gray is still open.

Do they have a 1-800 number? I couldn't find anything but online web chat on their site.
post #8 of 164 Old 03-11-2014, 09:04 PM

Here's their site contact us page

http://www.elitescreenshop.com/contact-us-a/131.htm
post #9 of 164 Old 03-20-2014, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Anyone had experience with this screen? Any pictures someone can throw up?
post #10 of 164 Old 04-10-2014, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_0068 View Post

I think i'm going to pick one up and see how it goes.

Jim, have you received this screen and what are your impressions of it?

My First Build Ever in progress
post #11 of 164 Old 04-10-2014, 11:43 AM

No, i'm evaluating creating my own DIY screen and/or a former member created a black screen which i'm also looking into as well; except his is commerical and not DIY.
post #12 of 164 Old 04-11-2014, 01:25 PM

I checked out the 120" CineGrey 5D and it was very inexpensive.. so I decided to go for it.
Will post results once its delivered and set up.

post #13 of 164 Old 04-11-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_0068 View Post

No, i'm evaluating creating my own DIY screen and/or a former member created a black screen which i'm also looking into as well; except his is commerical and not DIY.

Which black screen is this? Can you point me to it?

post #14 of 164 Old 04-12-2014, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I ordered the 120 inch CINEGREY 5D earlier this week. Still waiting for the delivery. Once I have it installed and use it for a couple of days, I'll write a review.smile.gif
post #15 of 164 Old 04-14-2014, 05:20 PM

I just ordered a 100" CineGrey 5D. I'm really curious about the performance. It's not shipping for at least a week, so I have time to cancel if this stuff isn't up to snuff.
post #16 of 164 Old 04-14-2014, 08:42 PM

Nice! We have a couple of fearless trailblazers! I inquired Elite of the DarkStar screen they are offering under their premium line. It appears to be a DNP and Black Diamond killer. I spoke to a local seller this afternoon about this screen and unfortunately the prices I was quoted were killer too... a buzz killer! eek.gif

This let me know the CineGrey5D is the best value I can get right now for the combination of higher gain and contrast. There's a few pics of the screen here on AVS that someone posted. The screen looked nice with a light on off to the side. Also on another forum there was a review with a pic of the screen with blinds cracked open to the side. The screen wasn't washed out at all.. not as dark as the higher priced black screens but still not too shabby for the price...

post #17 of 164 Old 04-15-2014, 02:08 AM

Why don´t exist 2.35:1 curve format with this surface screen?

JVC | STEWART | PRISMASONIC | ROTEL | JAMO | JBL | MINIDSP | X-RITE
post #18 of 164 Old 04-15-2014, 06:42 AM

I'm looking forward to this. Right now I have a Da-Lite High Contrast Matte White pull down screen and an Optoma HD20. I have trouble with uniformity due to waves in the fabric, and also I get this strange moire pattern in my whites from the resolution of the projector and "resolution" of the screen material kind of clashing.

This is used in a bright room. It's light-controllable, but with little kids around and such I prefer not to watch movies and game in the dark, so this screen really does look like the holy grail of material, and yet at a price I can afford.

My big challenge is mounting it. My existing setup pulls down in front of a big window. Since this is fixed, I'm going to build a hinged setup to fold this to the ceiling when not in use, similar to what this fella did in this thread.
post #19 of 164 Old 04-15-2014, 01:38 PM

Liked: 11
Hey , I to am on the fence was going to get the Powergain but after calling Elite they said it's Discontinued and I should go with the Cinegrey cause it's much better anyway . Have ambient light that comes into the room during the day, could black it all out but would like it not so much of a dedicated cave. Bought a Epson 5030UB. Can't wait to see what your feedback is about the screen .
post #20 of 164 Old 04-15-2014, 09:31 PM

Looking forward to your review.
post #21 of 164 Old 04-16-2014, 10:59 AM

No hurry .... But I can't sleep at night !!!! Lol
post #22 of 164 Old 04-16-2014, 07:34 PM

My order still hasnt shipped. mad.gif Amazon now says 1 - 4 weeks when I could've sworn when I ordered it said 1 week. I'll still assume my shipped by date of around April 25th - May is accurate.

post #23 of 164 Old 04-16-2014, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mine just came in yesterday. Ordered from B&H last Wednesday. Total time from order to delivery was 6 days.
post #24 of 164 Old 04-17-2014, 09:15 AM

Depending on your feedback about the screen , on the fence a out cinewhite or cinegrey 5d , cause I do have ambient light I was going to order from B&H aswell . Think their in NYC I'm on Long Island .
post #25 of 164 Old 04-17-2014, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Don't have time today to give a proper review. All I have to say is: Go for the Cinegrey 5D. B&H Is an excellent company to deal with, but i think they're closed this week for the holiday.
post #26 of 164 Old 04-17-2014, 01:57 PM

Mine is "out for delivery" today. If I can set it up tonight, I'll give some initial impressions and maybe a pic or two.
post #27 of 164 Old 04-17-2014, 02:19 PM

Yes there closed till the 22nd I think for Passover
post #28 of 164 Old 04-18-2014, 08:30 AM

My quick initial impressions are this: you can't defeat physics and this screen isn't the holy grail, but this material is very good. My wife, who is not an A/V nut like myself, noticed an immediate difference. You can definitely watch this thing comfortably in a fully lit room.

It does suffer from hotspotting, but the further you sit from the screen, the less pronounced it is. I don't see the material texture or sparklies when I watch something as opposed to my last two screens. Also, the angle of projection is super important. My Optoma HD20 has a very shallow projection angle and I found that when I moved the screen up another 18 inches up the wall, the image was significantly brighter and more uniform(plus no more keystone!).

These are taken without moving the screen higher where the quality is better.

quamosa likes this.
post #29 of 164 Old 04-18-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggercb View Post

My quick initial impressions are this: you can't defeat physics and this screen isn't the holy grail, but this material is very good. My wife, who is not an A/V nut like myself, noticed an immediate difference. You can definitely watch this thing comfortably in a fully lit room.

It does suffer from hotspotting, but the further you sit from the screen, the less pronounced it is. I don't see the material texture or sparklies when I watch something as opposed to my last two screens. Also, the angle of projection is super important. My Optoma HD20 has a very shallow projection angle and I found that when I moved the screen up another 18 inches up the wall, the image was significantly brighter and more uniform(plus no more keystone!).

Thanks for the pics. The screen looks great. Typically you get what you pay for but I think this is one situation where you get a little more than what you paid for. Its definitely viewable based on your pics and I would imagine even more so in person as well as with a projector with more lumens. My projector will be mounted in a soffit 18 feet from the screen and my screen will be about 12.5 inches down from the ceiling. I wonder if this distance and height will help with the hotspotting. How far is your projector from the screen and is it ceiling mounted?

post #30 of 164 Old 04-18-2014, 09:16 AM

Looks good thank you for the update : ) . Do you find that from like a 45 degree angle thugs get distorted ?
Reply Screens

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread - Ptae8000u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page