DNP 23-23 vs .8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-24-2013, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
AVS,

I searched for so long trying to find out how a 2.3 would compare to my .8 DNP Blade. I had to find out the expensive way and just buy it and make my own comparison. So I decided to throw up some pictures in case others are in the same decision process.

First movie I put on was Silent Hll. This movie is mostly dark and at times pitch black. What the picture couldn't show in the scene posted is the better black levels of the .8 using my un calibrated 5020 in THX mode with high light I think. If this was the only movie I ever watched and I had a man cave, I would keep the .8 material as the blacks gave it better contrast since their were no other colors in the movie and pulled me into the movie more. This was only when doing side by side, once I take the .8 down, I don't really notice the lighter blacks on the 2.3. It may be something I could adjust on the projector since the screen gain is higher?, I Just have not played with it yet.

Watching anything else like Iron Man 3 or Pacific Rim for instance was incredible with the 2.3 material. Everything on the .8 looked dull in comparison. Colors popped more with 2.3 as if it was an LCD and details came out. It was also a pleasant surprise to see 3D just right and no longer dim looking. It no longer looks like theater 3D and appears to be as bright as 2D. I can now watch 3D with this screen.

The images appear to be darker on the right side of the .8. This was not noticeable with my own eyes and just the limitation of my camera or settings plus they were both brighter in person. The projector is also 2.5 feet left of the center of the .8 so the screen was rejecting some light to the far right but you get the idea.

Anyways, my .8 is up for sale in SoCal for anybody with at least an Epson 5x and only watches 2D material unless you have a higher lumen projector or stacking or business use as the Laptop image is still very bright.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-24-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Thanks for the comparison.

Where did you buy the 2.3?
Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderkv View Post

It may be something I could adjust on the projector since the screen gain is higher?, I Just have not played with it yet.

You could set the lamp to low power and close the iris if there is one, and/or use an ND filter to lower the output when desired.

Noah
post #3 of 8 Old 11-24-2013, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Thanks for the comparison.

Where did you buy the 2.3?
You could set the lamp to low power and close the iris if there is one, and/or use an ND filter to lower the output when desired.

It received it in a few days after placing my order since they stock in California.

Dana Rose
Sales and Marketing, CTS
Projector SuperStore
a Division of CCS
Office 888-525-6696 x263
Fax: 480-348-0273
www.projectorsuperstore.com

By closing the Iris you mean turning it off? I can lower the output simply by calibrating it so that might work. Thanks
post #4 of 8 Old 11-25-2013, 11:59 AM

Liked: 12
Just wondering? how did the 2.3 compare to the .85 in regards to any hot spots, sheen, off angle viewing, and did the 2.3 have any streaks in the image during white scenes? I installed one once and had some problems with it.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-25-2013, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy def View Post

Just wondering? how did the 2.3 compare to the .85 in regards to any hot spots, sheen, off angle viewing, and did the 2.3 have any streaks in the image during white scenes? I installed one once and had some problems with it.

Off angle is suppose to dim to about the same output as the 08-85 material according to their data. I don't see much drop myself and I don't have seating at high angles anyways.

No hotspot or sparkles for movies that I noticed but on my laptop used for data which appears to be brighter, sparkles and slight glow in the center is just barely visible. Both are something I never noticed until you asked me.

I hear about all these issues with black diamond. This screen must be better from all that I read of the BD. And honestly, my only concern was ambient light rejecting and being able to use my screen in the day and 3D at night. Nothing else bothers me. Also, the screen is 3mm thick and 28lbs.

I don't even know what a streak is. If there was something defective or about this screen that I didn't like I would mention it. It's perfect for me.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-25-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderkv View Post

By closing the Iris you mean turning it off? I can lower the output simply by calibrating it so that might work. Thanks

No, I don't mean the dynamic iris, a non-dynamic but adjustable iris to control brightness; your pj may not have one.

Thanks for the info.

3 mm is thick.

Is that only available as a fixed screen? I need roll-up.

Noah
post #7 of 8 Old 11-25-2013, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

No, I don't mean the dynamic iris, a non-dynamic but adjustable iris to control brightness; your pj may not have one.

Thanks for the info.

3 mm is thick.

Is that only available as a fixed screen? I need roll-up.

dnp-screens.com
post #8 of 8 Old 11-26-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I had no idea that thee were so many Supernovae:

RETRACTABLE
Supernova Flex - Rolls up at the touch of a button – screen size up to 110”
Supernova Flex Classic

FIXED
Supernova Blade - Frameless, space-saving design - screen size up to 120”
Supernova One - The original Supernova - screen size up to 120”
Supernova Core - A cost-effective option – screen size up to 120”
Supernova Epic - Ultimate home cinema – screen size up to 156”
Supernova Epic CS - Fixed Cinemascope format(2.40:1) – screen size up to 156”
Supernova Infinity - You decide the size with this modular screen system
Supernova STS - Optimized for Ultra-Short-Throw-Projectors - screen size up to 100"

Noah
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page