Opinions on Da-Lite High Power Screens? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-24-2013, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I've now got my theater temporarily setup using material from Carl's Place, but I need a retractable screen long term.  I've had Da-Lite high power screen suggested to me based on a description of my setup.

I'm using an HW55ES at a 16' throw to a 140" screen.  It's not a bat cave, but there's good light control, darker walls, light ceiling and most viewing will be at night other than sports in the daytime.  Right now with the brand new bulb, I feel the image is very bright and nice, but I know the bulb will dim over time.  The room is narrow and long, the screen takes up most of one end of it, so all the seating will be within the bounds of the screen, no viewing angles that are off to the sides. 

How much brighter does the HP screen make an image?  I'm almost worried that it will be too bright on a 2.4 gain screen.  Does the HP screen mess with color at all?  Anything else I need to know about an HP screen?  What can I expect to be different between a 1.1 gain screen and 2.4 gain screen?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-24-2013, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Have you perused the High Power review thread? Everything you ever wanted to know about the screen, including owner opinions, has been posted there:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/773065/high-power-a-review-part-1/0_40

Earlier comments in the thread are on the 2.8 gain fabric which is no longer offered. The 2.4 gain material is similar - lower gain but a wider viewing angle. I've been very pleased with mine. As is noted many times in the High Power thread you'll need to mount your pj low to maximize the gain.

If you request a sample from Da-Lite you can see for yourself what the differences are compared to your current screen. Da-Lite's standard samples are rather small (~ 7"), but if you request a larger size (~ 12") they should be able to do that.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-24-2013, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I have looked through that thread, but it hasn't really been that active since the change from 2.8 to 2.4 gain material, and most of what has been posted has been pointing out how the 2.4 gain material isn't as good as the 2.8 due to the texture of the material and some problems people have had with the quality of their screen when delivered.  I was hoping to elicit some fresh opinions with a new thread. 

post #4 of 11 Old 11-24-2013, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

When Da-Lite switched to the new material there were complaints from folks who still wanted the higher gain and from those who were disgruntled over a perceived "bait & switch". As I recall, most of the quality complaints had to do with the High Contrast High Power material. If you order your screen from one of the AV Science sales folks I'm confident they'd take care of you if your screen had problems.

I went from a matte white to an HP 2.4. Colors didn't appear to be significantly off after the swap. The change resulted in a brighter, more vibrant image. This is particulary welcome when viewing 3D.

Here's another HP thread that was started after the material change:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1213577/da-lite-hi-power-new-or-old-what-did-you-get/0_40
post #5 of 11 Old 11-24-2013, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Just be sure your setup supports a retroreflective screen as the parameters for it to be beneficial are rather limiting.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-24-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 186
I wanted to go the da-lite 2.4 route. But, the narrow viewing angle and limited projector placement options were detractors. Also, the housing is rather large at 6 x 5 inches and you have to pay for every single option, ala black case, trigger, adjustable brackets, etc.

Just make sure you have the proper conditions.

I would re-consider if they were just a little more flexible. I have heard nothing but positive in regards the picture quality.

post #7 of 11 Old 11-25-2013, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrich3 View Post

Here's another HP thread that was started after the material change:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1213577/da-lite-hi-power-new-or-old-what-did-you-get/0_40

Thanks, that's a thread I had overlooked, and a brief scan of it shows some good information! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

I wanted to go the da-lite 2.4 route. But, the narrow viewing angle and limited projector placement options were detractors. Also, the housing is rather large at 6 x 5 inches and you have to pay for every single option, ala black case, trigger, adjustable brackets, etc.

Just make sure you have the proper conditions.

I would re-consider if they were just a little more flexible. I have heard nothing but positive in regards the picture quality.

I think I have a pretty solid room for using the HP.  Long and narrow, seating in front, with PJ mounted a couple of feet above prime seats and no more than a foot to the side.  Seems to be well within tolerance to get the benefits of an HP.   I've just been debating on the cost, and whether it would end up feeling too bright to me, based on how I feel about a 1.1 gain screen right now. 

post #8 of 11 Old 11-25-2013, 12:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorndadwarf View Post

Thanks, that's a thread I had overlooked, and a brief scan of it shows some good information! 

I think I have a pretty solid room for using the HP.  Long and narrow, seating in front, with PJ mounted a couple of feet above prime seats and no more than a foot to the side.  Seems to be well within tolerance to get the benefits of an HP.   I've just been debating on the cost, and whether it would end up feeling too bright to me, based on how I feel about a 1.1 gain screen right now. 

You could call da lite and ask for a sample and then you could see for yourself. smile.gif
post #9 of 11 Old 11-25-2013, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

You could call da lite and ask for a sample and then you could see for yourself. smile.gif

For better or worse, I need to have a retractable screen up before Dec. 16th.  This is non-negotiable with my wife.  My plan for the layout of the room changed once I had the pj in hand.  The screen size got bigger, and its location moved.  Originally I was going to use a fixed frame, but the new location won't really allow for that (its in front of a fireplace), so a retractable it is. 

We have relatives coming to town for Christmas, and my wife doesn't want the temporary screen hanging as it is now.  So I either need to pull the trigger on a Da-Lite without waiting on a sample, or I'm going to get a 135" manual Elite for a couple of hundred bucks to use until after New Years, get the samples from Da-Lite, then Craiglist the Elite if I like the look of the HP sample.

The best laid plans of mice and men and home theater enthusiasts and all that. 

post #10 of 11 Old 11-25-2013, 02:06 AM
Advanced Member

With that projector and that screen size I would pull the trigger on the HP dalite then.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-25-2013, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mike Garrett has taken care of my orders. If you don't already have a sales rep I'd recommend him:

mike@avscience.com
585-671-2968

Let Mike know about your time constraints to see if they can get the screen to you in time. Da-Lite's screens are custom made so it may take a few more days to get than a pre-built Elite model.

If you get the High Power I'm sure you won't regret it. It's a great material.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page