recommendation for light-absorbing material for wall behind screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-25-2013, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I got a used Da-lite high contrast (i.e. gray) screen to project my Benq W1070 onto, which should be a good fit because I have light colored walls that I can't paint and the projector is pretty bright but could use a little help with contrast. But the screen is an older model that's not black on the back, so the fabric is moderately translucent. So I'm realizing I need to put black material behind the screen to prevent light reflection that will reduce reflections off the wall behind the screen that would lower black levels. I'm thinking the easiest solution would be to thumb-tack black fabric to the wall. I figure options, in rough order of diminishing light absorbency, are velvet, felt, burlap, paper, and plastic sheeting. The viewing area of my screen is 58 x 104 inches, and the full screen including frame is 64 x 110 inches, various fabrics seem to be available in 60" widths, so that seems to fit my purpose well.

Anyone have recommendations for particular fabrics that are really black/light absorbing? And particular stores that have good prices on fabrics and cheap or free shipping?

Much appreciated!

Benq W1070 projector w/ Chief RSM mount with custom interface bracket
119" Da-Lite Cinema Contour with High-Contrast (gray) Da-Mat screen
Denon X2000 receiver fed by Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Bluray player
Focal Chorus 700-series towers and center, JMLab Tantal 500-series bookshelf rears
Rythmik FV15HP sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-25-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I would suggest you treat the ceiling and side walls as they are doing the most damage to your contrast.
Triple Black velvet is the best product.
See these threads

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465053/black-theater-improvment-thread-once-you-go-black-you-never-go-back/0_100
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475294/why-is-dark-walls-so-important/0_100
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1480515/impact-of-white-ceiling-with-projector/0_100

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 Old 11-25-2013, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

I hear you on the desirability of painting and/or treating the walls and ceiling (and floor). But for now that's not feasible in my current rental unit. Definitely something to aspire to down the road! But for now, I'm trying to figure out what the cheapest, easiest, and blackest material is that I could pin to the wall behind my non-black-backed screen, so that projector light that makes it through the screen doesn't bounce back and reduce black levels and contrast.

Focal Chorus 700-series towers and center, JMLab Tantal 500-series bookshelf rears
Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #4 of 8 Old 11-25-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Cheapest is probably a black twin sheet from Bed Bath and Beyond. about $12

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 Old 11-25-2013, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Good call, I think I'll go with an analogous black tablecloth option for now.

I love what you did with removable black velvet that mounts via magnets, will mull doing something similar down the road myself.

EDIT: Strike that, bought some black felt that should absorb light a little better, plus some velcro tape to attach it to the back of the screen, on the sides where it won't interfere with the top and bottom mounting brackets, so I don't have to put it onto the wall.

Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #6 of 8 Old 12-02-2013, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo View Post

Good call, I think I'll go with an analogous black tablecloth option for now.

I love what you did with removable black velvet that mounts via magnets, will mull doing something similar down the road myself.

EDIT: Strike that, bought some black felt that should absorb light a little better, plus some velcro tape to attach it to the back of the screen, on the sides where it won't interfere with the top and bottom mounting brackets, so I don't have to put it onto the wall.

So Joann.com was a disappointment. Almost a week after I placed my order, they emailed to tell me they were actually out of stock on the felt fabric I had ordered, and which their website listed as in stock, and were canceling my order. When I very nicely asked them to suggest an alternative fabric and offer me the coupon code discount I had used on the order they canceled (since expired), they ignored the first half of my query and declined the second, stating that they do not offer rain checks. That's fine--I don't shop at companies that offer poor customer service. In the meantime, the black table cloth fabric I had ordered from Amazon arrived, and it looks suitable, so I will likely just stick with that.

Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #7 of 8 Old 12-02-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 271
I'm using these - http://www.amazon.com/Maytex-Velvet-Blackout-Panel-Curtain/dp/B002E1AXV4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386033591&sr=8-2&keywords=black+velvet+drapes

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #8 of 8 Old 12-03-2013, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

I'd still welcome recommendations for a black, light-absorbing material that I can mount on the back of my non-coated screen, should be 60x106" or larger (i.e. fabric that's available by the yard on 60" rolls is perfect), absorb as much light as possible, and not be too expensive. The Joann's felt seemed like it fit the bill but they seem to be out of both the heavier and normal weight black felt right now. The table cloth I tried had a sheen to it that reflects more light than I would like.

Advice appreciated!

Rythmik FV15HP sub
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page