Shocker. A newbie appears, asking for screen advice. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-26-2013, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about becoming a first-time projector owner, and I was hoping you could point me in the right direction, screen-wise.

I'm looking at the Optoma HD131Xe, because it's affordable. That's a 2500 lumen, 1080p, DLP. The room it's going in is approximately 12.5 feet square. (It's a den/bonus/media-room.) Loft ceiling. Current beige walls and ceiling, but I can throw up some medium-dark paint. The (2) seating positions will place our eyeballs about 9 feet from the screen. The projector will the throwing from about 11 feet back.

I'm thinking about going with a small, 92" screen, but I will experiment on the wall before actually committing to a screen size. I can't imagine going above 100", however. The system will be used for gaming and web browsing, primarily, with some sports and movies on the side.

While the room potentially has nearly perfect light control, I would greatly prefer it if I could watch with low lighting. A non-dedicated room situation, in other words.

I think that last bit indicates that a gray screen might be my best bet, right? Would a 2500 lumen projector hitting a 95-ish inch screen allow that? Is that what you pros would recommend?

After reading a bit about DIY gray screens, I think I'd rather buy a cheap fixed-frame screen. Something like a Vapex, in that $200-$300 range. However, it looks like Visual Apex only sells white screens. Can anyone recommend a reputable seller of entry-level grey screens? (Assuming that you think that's what I should get?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-26-2013, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Congratulations on your leap into front projection! Unfortunately you'll find shedding ambient light is an expensive feature. I'm not sure you'll find any gray screens at that price point. Not exactly a helpful pointer in the right direction. Maybe you can get lucky on craigslist. That said, you may find it's not a big issue for you once you get the projector setup and running. Good luck.

MM
post #3 of 3 Old 11-27-2013, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmason View Post

Congratulations on your leap into front projection! Unfortunately you'll find shedding ambient light is an expensive feature. I'm not sure you'll find any gray screens at that price point. Not exactly a helpful pointer in the right direction. Maybe you can get lucky on craigslist. That said, you may find it's not a big issue for you once you get the projector setup and running. Good luck.

MM

Thanks for the info.

I've pretty well resigned myself to building my own screen, and since that's the cheapest way to go, I'm not complaining too much. I'll be going with some sort of "gray" paint. I just need to narrow down just how dark I can get away with.

And yeah, if worst came to worst, I can get my media room pretty darn dark. I'd just prefer not to.
Reply Screens

Tags
Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page