150" Tab Tensioned Recessed Screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-27-2013, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I'm looking for suggestions on recessed screen options for our living room.  I'm currently using a 110" laminate screen but I'm renovating and changing around the layout of my room...so time for an upgrade.  The room is gutted at the moment so I have options on what and how to install.

Room

- 24' x 13'

- seating would be at 24'

- projector would be mounted 15' from the screen, projecting on the 13' wall

- 150" screen has to be recessed as it will cover one entrance to the room when lowered

- Lots of light in the room but the screen will be mainly used at night when it won't matter (TV will be mounted on the wall behind the screen for daytime use)

|Entry|  ------

--Screen---- |

|<-Window

|

|<-Window

|      Proj      |

|                  |<-Window

|   Seating   |

---------------

Projector

Purchasing a Epson 5030UB or Panasonic AE8000

Speakers

Will likely have to go with ceiling speakers as the left side of the screen will be covering the entrance (not ideal but I want a big screen...)

Questions:

1) Recessed screen or ceiling mount screen mounted on the floor joists with a slit in the drywall for the screen - can a clean recessed look be achieved without a recessed screen?

2) I've been looking at the Monoprice/Grandview, Vutec, and Elite recessed and non-recessed screens.  Are there others I should consider (tab-tensioned is a must-have)?

3) Any other general thoughts on the setup that I should be thinking about?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-24-2013, 08:54 AM

Hey, just wondering if you got any feedback or made a purchase yet. I am also looking for something at the 150" size.

I debated the full recessed version vs installing a ceiling mounted one behind the drywall. Personally, I think you could achieve a really nice look with a drywall slit, I saw someone posted a video on YouTube who did that. I also thought if you put a vertical piece of drywall inside/up the back of the slit, you wouldn't even see a black hole while looking up at an angle.

My biggest concern though would be if you did all that nice drywall work to enclose the screen, and then down the road something needed some maintenance. Something as simple as adjusting the limits on how far the screen drops could be impossible if it gets all enclosed. You might be able to strategically place your ceiling speakers to double as access holes.

For me, I had to let the builder finish the house as is and I have to come back and cut a hole in, so I think it's just going to be easier to cut the 4 inch wide hole for the recessed screen and be done with it. I already mounted some hanger boards in the floor trusses so I have something to bolt the Monoprice style screen to.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-30-2013, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

I've looked around a bunch and decided to go with a recessed screen.  Since the screen is going in the living room, we really didn't want to see the slit and I couldn't find many clean looking ceiling kits that would hide the black weight bar found on most screens.

So...I'm currently leaning towards the Elite IHOME150HW2-E12 Evanesce Plus screen...although I haven't seen any reviews for it yet.  White weight bar + true flush look.

My biggest concern is tensioned vs. non-tensioned.  I have had a non-tensioned screen before that developed waves...not excited about going down that route again.

However, the tension system on most recessed screens added quite a bit of length to the case that would make the install very difficult / impossible for my setup.  Additionally several people suggested that having a tensioned screen with 2 young children in the house was probably a bad idea.

post #4 of 4 Old 08-20-2014, 08:14 PM

Hey, it's been awhile, wondering if you're still around and if you got your screen yet? I'm finally getting close to pulling the trigger on this.

One thing you didn't mention was the height of your ceilings. I have a fairly large room at 20feet wide by 28feet long, but the ceiling is only 8 foot. The display area of a 150" would fit, but there would only be a few inches on the top/bottom for the border. I'm starting to think a 135" would be more appropriate, but most movies are 2:35 aspect so I'm having a hard time deciding.

I really wish I could find some ceiling recessed 2:35 aspect screens out there, but either no one makes them or I'm looking at the wrong brands. I think I'd rather have some extra screen on the sides when watching a football game, and use the hole thing for movies.

Thanks ahead of time if you got any thoughts or want to share if you're happy with your purchase.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page