Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 40 Old 12-22-2013, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post

It's a fixed frame. The guy at Seymour said I could just staple it to the frame.

lol....I guess so....look at the guys hands under the DIY section:

http://www.seymourav.com/screens.asp

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 12-22-2013, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Is there any good mounts I need to look into? I noticed miss man mentioned the peerless ceiling plate and chief rpa181 mount for the panny 8000
post #33 of 40 Old 12-23-2013, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Im also assuming when I run my 110 and HDMI, I should try to get those as close to the projector as possible?
The main thing holding me up is screen size and figuring out false wall plans. Trying to decide where components will go and "work" out without being in the way. I planned on hiding them behind the false fabric wall and still be able to control them through the fabric.

If I can decide on component placement, then I can decide on how big of a screen I will go, then will make my decision on pj placement easier.
post #34 of 40 Old 12-24-2013, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was almost decided on the Seymour XD material until reading about Spandex. Why would one go with spandex over a DIY xd AT screen?

Im very lost at this point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
post #35 of 40 Old 12-24-2013, 08:08 AM

Depends on what type of mount you need, or how versatile it needs to be (extension, etc).  Peerless make decent mounts.

I don't think you have to worry about HDMI length unless it's super long.  Just run everything through an A/V receiver.

I'm not sure what spandex is.  But I think you should focus more on what the screen material does in your environment.  Are you going with diffusive or retro-reflective material?

post #36 of 40 Old 12-24-2013, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJoseph View Post

Depends on what type of mount you need, or how versatile it needs to be (extension, etc).  Peerless make decent mounts.

I don't think you have to worry about HDMI length unless it's super long.  Just run everything through an A/V receiver.

I'm not sure what spandex is.  But I think you should focus more on what the screen material does in your environment.  Are you going with diffusive or retro-reflective material?

I will be running everything through a receiver. lol

not sure about diffusive or retro reflective. Not even sure what they are or why I would need them.
post #37 of 40 Old 12-24-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post

I will be running everything through a receiver. lol

not sure about diffusive or retro reflective. Not even sure what they are or why I would need them.

Ok well if you run everything through a receiver, then there will only be one HDMI cable going to the projector.  Don't worry about the length.

The type of material the screen is made out of is almost important as the projector itself.  Any type of screen you get it going to have these qualities, you need to make sure you're getting the right type for your room!

Diffusive screen material is the more common white screens.  This screen material spreads the more the light evenly in all directions.  They have no gain or little gain.  Like 1.0 or 1.1 gain.  This is best for wide viewing areas where you have complete control over ambient light, or you can make the room really dark (no windows, etc).

Retro-Reflective - this material reflects the light more directly back at the viewer or to a smaller viewing area.  Gain is usually 1.5-2.0 or higher.  You can have hot spots on these but they work great for rooms with ambient light or where you can't control the lighting very well.  These are recommended for ceiling mounted projectors, BUT I think you have to be careful with Short Throws because they are closer to the screen they are much brighter.

I started out with a grey retro-reflective 1.5 gain screen and then switched to a white 1.1 gain diffusive screen.  Both screens are great, but the white screen has a more uniform brightness in a dark room, however the image suffers with the lights on.  

You need to figure this out before worrying about the frame and DIY.

post #38 of 40 Old 12-24-2013, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Actually, Retro Reflective screens are bad for ceiling mounted. They're better for projectors that are level with your eye. (Like on a shelf behind you.)

Angular Reflective screens are the ones good for ceiling mounted projectors.

Current HT setup:

Samsung UN65F6300 65" LCD HDTV, Polk CS20 Center, 2x Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, 2x Polk TSI300 Backs, Polk PSW110 Subwoofer.

post #39 of 40 Old 12-24-2013, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJoseph View Post

Ok well if you run everything through a receiver, then there will only be one HDMI cable going to the projector.  Don't worry about the length.

The type of material the screen is made out of is almost important as the projector itself.  Any type of screen you get it going to have these qualities, you need to make sure you're getting the right type for your room!

Diffusive screen material is the more common white screens.  This screen material spreads the more the light evenly in all directions.  They have no gain or little gain.  Like 1.0 or 1.1 gain.  This is best for wide viewing areas where you have complete control over ambient light, or you can make the room really dark (no windows, etc).

Retro-Reflective - this material reflects the light more directly back at the viewer or to a smaller viewing area.  Gain is usually 1.5-2.0 or higher.  You can have hot spots on these but they work great for rooms with ambient light or where you can't control the lighting very well.  These are recommended for ceiling mounted projectors, BUT I think you have to be careful with Short Throws because they are closer to the screen they are much brighter.

I started out with a grey retro-reflective 1.5 gain screen and then switched to a white 1.1 gain diffusive screen.  Both screens are great, but the white screen has a more uniform brightness in a dark room, however the image suffers with the lights on.  

You need to figure this out before worrying about the frame and DIY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaboy581 View Post

Actually, Retro Reflective screens are bad for ceiling mounted. They're better for projectors that are level with your eye. (Like on a shelf behind you.)

Angular Reflective screens are the ones good for ceiling mounted projectors.

you can both see my layout here. The pj will be mounted in the ceiling, but not sure how low. Im not sure if you need to mount it even with the screen, or slightly above the top etc..?

post #40 of 40 Old 12-26-2013, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Go with the false wall and AT fabric and be done. Do to you size restrictions, go with 16:9 and if the black bars bother you rig up some removable masking panels, DONE!

You got a great room, don't skimp now, do it once correctly and enjoy.

Loop right back to the excellent advice of the first responder.

Seymour's XD is an excellent screen material and if you can drop the screen, you can
go bigger. Do some side wall and ceiling black out panels to capture the light spill coming
off the screen weave.
Reply Screens

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page