Screen advice - 16:9 image onto 16:10 screen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-09-2013, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I intend to ceiling mount an electric screen that will drop in-front of a wall-mounted LCD (so fixed screen won't work) and possibly some speakers (I'm not too concerned about muffling). I am using a Viewonic PJD7820HD - extremely bright (3000 lumens) but poor blacks. I have been projecting onto a grey wall which helps with the contrast.

This will go into a room with a white ceiling and grey walls. We will most likely sit between 10 and 15ft from the screen (we will literally slide the sofa back when we fire up the projector). I am looking for a screen between 110 and 130". My budget is extremely low, hence the Viewsonic wink.gif There will most likely be minimal ambient lighting, but it could be completely dark if necessary.

During my research I've found the Elite Screens Spectrum Electric125H would fit my needs quite well, but with somewhat limited availability I think it's more expensive than it should be: $310 from some unknown seller om Amazon with who knows what return policy or a little more from Elite Screens themselves. CamelCamelCamel tells me that it was available from Amazon for ~$235, but it hasn't been available at that price for over 6 months. It's also out of stock from Walmart.com.

I would like to buy from Amazon.com or Walmart and I've noticed that the Elite Screens Spectrum Electric128X is available with free shipping for $255 from both stores . Has anyone used a 16:9 projector on a 16:10 screen? Could I "mod" the projector to lower the black border, or add some velvet of my own without screwing up the mechanism. Maybe buying the 16:10 screen would give me more flexibility over the drop?

Is this a stupid idea and do people know what's going on with the limited availability of ~125" Elite Spectrum screens?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-11-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Well my wife leveraged this situation to get me to buy the 100" which is smaller than I would have liked. I bought the 100" Elite Screens Spectrum 100H for $175 from Amazon.

It would still be interesting to hear from someone who has been using a 16:10 screen with a 16:9 projector at this scale.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-11-2013, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxsfan View Post

Well my wife leveraged this situation to get me to buy the 100" which is smaller than I would have liked. I bought the 100" Elite Screens Spectrum 100H for $175 from Amazon.

It would still be interesting to hear from someone who has been using a 16:10 screen with a 16:9 projector at this scale.

Looking at the same screen or maybe the 106".
post #4 of 9 Old 12-17-2013, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtl46 View Post

Looking at the same screen or maybe the 106".

It arrived. The box was in perfect condition but the casing of the screen itself had a dent in it! This was especially annoying considering there is a blurb on the box about the item being packaged in perfect condition.

I put it up the same day and the mechanism works great and there are no wrinkles. My initial reaction was that I'd made a bad call - 100" is too small (as you guys already know). Even my wife conceded that it was smaller than she expected.

Not the end of the world but a little bummed. For now there is no Spectrum 125H available from Amazon, so I will stick with this for now.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-17-2013, 10:31 AM

Liked: 16
I ordered the 110" Spectrum 2 so hopefully that will work for me. I think so and if not and I like the whole projector thing I will replace it later. The thing that irked me was at the last minute I found out it does not have the 12v trigger, unless you order an accessory for $160 which includes remotes that I will never use so I am going to have to hit the switch to lower the screen. Probably not a big deal for me to get off my A$$ to lower the screen but a dumb marketing decision none the less. It makes no sense because the Spectrum 2 is more expensive. I went with the 2 to get a 110" screen that has a fiber glass backing to hopefully help with the eventual curling and wrinkling issues.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-17-2013, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Where did you buy the 110" from? You could always buy a Harmony and have it control all your devices (including the screen) for much less than $160 smile.gif
post #7 of 9 Old 12-17-2013, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 73
How far away do you view your screen? At 10 feet 100" is more or less perfect (maybe a wee bit to big), if you are at 15 feet you would want to go larger though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-18-2013, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

If we don't move the sofa and drop the screen we are indeed sat 9-10' away. However, a larger screen would fill the space nicely and would also just cover the bottom of the wall-mounted TV (which is partially visible using the 100"). We have a wooden floor and lots of space, so sliding the sofa back for a larger screen is trivial.

Still I made my choice so I'll have to live with it at least for a while.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-26-2013, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

For peoples' reference, here's the Elite Screen Spectrum 100" screen hanging in-front of a Samsung 65EH6000 65" TV. We've tried a couple of movies and 100" isn't bad at all, but I still wish I'd gone for 125".

Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page