Relay controlled by 12V-signal - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-10-2013, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A 12V-signal via minijack from the projector to control a motorized screen is pretty normal. Almost all motors can be controlled by relays, so a relay which is controlled by a 12V-signal should be something that is highly useful. But I haven't found it, does anybody have a tip to where i can get something like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-10-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATWindsor View Post

A 12V-signal via minijack from the projector to control a motorized screen is pretty normal. Almost all motors can be controlled by relays, so a relay which is controlled by a 12V-signal should be something that is highly useful. But I haven't found it, does anybody have a tip to where i can get something like this?

It depends on how you want to implement it.

You just use a power sensing strip or an actual relay.
Try this: https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/119

Or a Niles box http://www.nilesaudio.com/product_detail.php?recordID=120Volt%20AC%20Power%20Switching%20Systems&categoryID=Switching%20Systems&catcdID=10

I have used the AC-3 for many years.

post #3 of 8 Old 12-10-2013, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Seems to me that an actual relay is best, an AC motor is usually controlled in the following fashion "line 1 connected, go up, line 2 connected, go down, if neither, stay still", so you can control the with 2 relays, that turns on or off line 1 and 2. Seeing that you could control almost any screen with this, it would suprise me if there is no relay that just drives the screen down (that is turn on relay 2) when the projector si on (when it receives 12V from the minijack) and runs the screen up again (relay 1), when the signal disappers. Or at the very least, a network connected relay or something I can't be the only one with this need? It would be great for all owners of an electrical screen without inbuilt 12V input?
post #4 of 8 Old 12-24-2013, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Its late but if I'm reading this right, you're looking for a relay for 12v dc input. If so this should work:

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-Install-E-123-Bay-Relay/dp/B000P61E36/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1387869669&sr=8-2&keywords=bosch+relay

It is a 12v dc relay used for automotive applications, but can be used in the household as well. Any auto part store should have them. They cost around $5 and are reliable as well.

post #5 of 8 Old 12-24-2013, 12:26 AM

You should be able to use an automotive relay, assuming your input is 12v dc. They are rated for 30 amps. If you go to amazon, and search bosch relay, they will show up. They can also be found at auto parts stores as well for around $5.

post #6 of 8 Old 01-05-2014, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVER TACO View Post

Its late but if I'm reading this right, you're looking for a relay for 12v dc input. If so this should work:
http://www.amazon.com/Metra-Install-E-123-Bay-Relay/dp/B000P61E36/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1387869669&sr=8-2&keywords=bosch+relay
It is a 12v dc relay used for automotive applications, but can be used in the household as well. Any auto part store should have them. They cost around $5 and are reliable as well.

A relay has two downsides as i see it

1. The 12VDC is either on or off. So it will tell the motor to go down for the duration of the projector being on, and up for the duration of the projector being off. Seems a bit safer if something only sent signals to the motor for a limited amount of time. (that is only send the "run motor"-signal for maybe 30 seconds)

2. Is the 12VDC signal from the normal projector really enough to drive the magnet in a relay? They do use a bit of power.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-11-2014, 09:03 PM

Regarding the first question, I'm not sure. I'm new to the home theatre game but I have an electrical background. I would have to have my hands on what you're talking about to give you an answer.

But for the 2nd question, these relays use very little power to operate, and I don't think you will have a problem with that.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-13-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATWindsor View Post

I use a lot of relays in my system. I have 120 volt mechanical relays for my power amps and I use an Opto-22 solid state relay mounted to a heat sink for a triggered relay for sequencing my amps off of the 12 volt trigger of my processor. The Opto-22 solid state relay is what you want, if you want to trigger your screen off of your 12 volt trigger, then this would work well for you.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page