Da-Lite Sticky Cinema Vision Fabric Replaced with JKP HD Progressive? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-15-2013, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi! I have had a Da-Lite Tensioned Contour Electrol screen with Cinema Vision fabric that I purchased in May 2007. The aspect ratio is 16:9 and the viewing area is 133 inches diagonal.

Over the years, the fabric has developed a stickiness and became sparkly due to the low-quality vinyl leaching plasticizers from the material. I cleaned both the front and back surfaces in three occasions with isopropyl alcohol and, although the results were relatively good, they were never perfect and the stickiness returned after a few months. The cleaning operations were also tedious, lasting for up to six hours. Needless to say, this is not something I look forward to continuing doing it.

Originally, the screen came with a one-year warranty. So, when I later called Da-Lite to complain about the stickiness problem, I was told I was out of luck.

It may be cost-effective now to order a replacement fabric roller from Da-Lite for, I think, about half the cost of an entire new screen assembly. The downside is that the Tensioned Contour Electrol screen assembly comes now with a five-year warranty period, whereas the replacement fabric roller is warranted only for one year.

Question 1: Has Da-Lite addressed the issue of leaching plasticizers (i.e. stickiness) in the newer fabric materials, like the JKP HD Progressive fabrics? The longer warranty period for new screen assemblies may suggest they did but, by ordering the replacement fabric roller, would I be assuming a much higher risk?

My screen is installed in a room with light-coloured walls and the seating/viewing distance is at 12 feet from the screen. I am mostly watching Blu-ray films with all lights off. I am debating about whether to select the JKP HD Progressive 1.3 or the JKP HD Progressive 1.1 fabric. Given that my current Cinema Vision fabric has a gain of 1.3, I am tempted to go with the former.

Question 2: From your experience with the JKP HD Progressive screen fabrics from Da-Lite, would you advise me to go with the 1.3 or 1.1 gain?

Question 3: What is the overall experience that you had with the JKP HD Progressive screen fabrics from Da-Lite? Would you recommend them?

Thank you very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-18-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Question 2: From your experience with the JKP HD Progressive screen fabrics from Da-Lite, would you advise me to go with the 1.3 or 1.1 gain?

Question 3: What is the overall experience that you had with the JKP HD Progressive screen fabrics from Da-Lite? Would you recommend them?

Thank you very much.

I'd probably go with the 1.3 - have you gotten samples from Da Lite? As far as " stickiness " and long term life expectancy with the HD Pro materials, I don't know that the 1.1 and 1.3 have been out very long.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #3 of 6 Old 12-18-2013, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks very much, Craig. I ordered HD Progressive samples with gains of 0.6, 0.9 and 1.1 back in July. I specifically asked for 12x12 inch samples with black backing. At that time I was not aware that a material with 1.3 gain existed, so I ordered one this week and I should receive it tomorrow. I will have the weekend to decide but I am also inclined to go with 1.3.

The samples have the same typical Da-Lite vinyl smell that all of their vinyl samples have. After five months of being rolled up, they don't show any sign of stickiness yet, but it may be to early to say.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-18-2013, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

With regard to the gain, Da-Lite confused me a little when I asked about the 1.3 gain material. In an e-mail, a Sales Partner from Da-Lite wrote: "However, 1.3 is usually not recommended for home theater settings unless there is a large amount of uncontrollable ambient light. It is recommended more for commercial settings.". But, as I said, I think the 1.3 gain would be most suitable for my HT because it has the same gain as my current Cinema Vision. Let's see after I receive the sample...
post #5 of 6 Old 12-19-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
"However, 1.3 is usually not recommended for home theater settings unless there is a large amount of uncontrollable ambient light. It is recommended more for commercial settings.".

That's a strange response. I guess the same could be said for the StudioTek 130 ? eek.gif Not ! rolleyes.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #6 of 6 Old 12-19-2013, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've received the JKP HD Progressive sample today and I'm impressed. Very smooth texture, a little less shiny / sparkly and more colour neutral than my current Cinema Vision. Studiotek 130 is whiter than the HD Progressive 1.3, while Cinema Vision is the more yellowish. The surface of the HD Progressive 1.3 fabric is also a little more silky smooth than that of Studiotek 130.

I'm tempted now to get a replacement roller with HD Progressive 1.3 fabric. If only those plasticizers would not leach out again after one year!...
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page