Advice on buying the correct screen (details inside on proposed specs) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-23-2013, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15

I'm in the process of designing my home theater and I've come to realize selecting the best screen is going to be the biggest challenge.  Here are the details.

The room will be 21' long in total, and 10' wide on the end with the screen and 9' from the screen, the room will bump out to 16' wide for the final 12'.  The first row seat, your eyes will be roughly 11-12' from the screen and second row on a 12" platform will be 17-18' from the screen.  Room height is 9'.  The corner seats will have a viewing angle of approximately 30 degrees to center of the screen.  Projector, I plan to mount on the ceiling 18ft back to maximize contrast.

I plan on using an Epson 5030 projector.  The room has no windows, all decorative lighting will be on URC dimmers.

The room will ONLY be used to watch movies.  98% of the time will be Blu-Ray, rarely regular DVD, no TV.  I would like to do a 110" screen, however, I'm not entirely clear on the 16:9 to 2.35:1 ratios.  I really don't want the black bars, I want to fill the entire screen and I wouldn't mind only have those bars for regular DVD.

If anything above sounds bad, please feel free to chime in a better suggestion. :)

Questions:

1. Should I get a screen with 1.0 gain?

2. What screen do you recommend (model #) given the above specs?

3. Do I go with a 2.35:1 screen and if so, what configuration considerations do I need to keep in mind with the projector or does it auto adjust between Blu-Ray and DVD?

I appreciate the help!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-23-2013, 05:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHILINVLN View Post

I'm in the process of designing my home theater and I've come to realize selecting the best screen is going to be the biggest challenge.  Here are the details.

The room will be 21' long in total, and 10' wide on the end with the screen and 9' from the screen, the room will bump out to 16' wide for the final 12'.  The first row seat, your eyes will be roughly 11-12' from the screen and second row on a 12" platform will be 17-18' from the screen.  Room height is 9'.  The corner seats will have a viewing angle of approximately 30 degrees to center of the screen.  Projector, I plan to mount on the ceiling 18ft back to maximize contrast.

I plan on using an Epson 5030 projector.  The room has no windows, all decorative lighting will be on URC dimmers.

The room will ONLY be used to watch movies.  98% of the time will be Blu-Ray, rarely regular DVD, no TV.  I would like to do a 110" screen, however, I'm not entirely clear on the 16:9 to 2.35:1 ratios.  I really don't want the black bars, I want to fill the entire screen and I wouldn't mind only have those bars for regular DVD.

If anything above sounds bad, please feel free to chime in a better suggestion. smile.gif

Questions:
1. Should I get a screen with 1.0 gain?
2. What screen do you recommend (model #) given the above specs?
3. Do I go with a 2.35:1 screen and if so, what configuration considerations do I need to keep in mind with the projector or does it auto adjust between Blu-Ray and DVD?

I appreciate the help!!

With a 5030, you need to go with a 16:9 screen. With 110" size I would go with a screen with a little bit of gain, 1.1 to 1.3. If you would like to discuss screen choices and pricing, give us a call.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #3 of 3 Old 12-23-2013, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

With a 5030, you need to go with a 16:9 screen. With 110" size I would go with a screen with a little bit of gain, 1.1 to 1.3. If you would like to discuss screen choices and pricing, give us a call.

Is there a projector with similar quality that would allow me to fill the full space on the screen for blu-ray (2.35:1) as the 5030?  Why does the 5030 not do this?

Also, can you just provide a couple options on screens in this post so that I can spend some time reading and researching them?  I don't have this opportunity over the phone.

Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page