Motorized AT Screen Advice Needed - EluneVision or Seymour - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 01-25-2014, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I need advice choosing a screen. I purchased an existing home a few years ago and now that the kids are getting older I thought it would be nice to have a home theater for them. When the home was built, they installed Left, Right, and Surround speakers in the walls and ceiling. I googled the speaker model number and believe them to be Destination Audio in-wall speakers. I will use them for now and upgrade them later if I feel the need. I have never had a projector and screen before and decided it was time to seek opinions from those with experience. The past couple of days I ordered a BenQ W1070 projector, Onkyo TX-NR818 receiver, Bic F12 sub, and Bic center channel speaker (which I’ll change later if I upgrade the in-walls so they all match). These items will be arriving this coming week. When I ordered the BenQ, I was planning to purchase an Elite Electric125H-A1080P2 screen thinking it was “good enough” and for the money I could upgrade it later. From the pictures below, the screen will be located in front of the fireplace. As a result, it must obviously be retractable (cha-ching). Also, due to the in-wall speakers and since the center channel will be located on top of the mantle behind the screen, the screen must be Acoustically Transparent (and cha-ching). As I thought about my screen selection more prior to ordering the Elite, I decided that I probably would be disappointed with the inevitable curling of a non-tensioned screen and also decided that I should try to future proof it as well. Therefore, I am now looking at some of the Motorized, Tab-Tensioned, Acoustically Transparent, 4K ready screens. I believe I have narrowed it down to either the EluneVision Reference Studio AudioWeave 4K (120” diagonal) or the Seymour Center Stage XD H110 (126.2” diagonal) with the EluneVision being the front runner at the moment based upon all the reading I have done on the forum. Due to the mantle, the screen will be about 10” from the wall containing the in-wall speakers (and 30” or more from the recessed areas around the fireplace. As reference, the 6 pieces of masking tape on the fireplace tile, mantle, and wall below the ceiling would have been the outside dimensions of the Elite 125" diagonal screen viewable area.

My concern with the EluneVision, from what I’ve read, is light passthrough reflecting back onto the back of the screen and causing problems. I think a black backing can be ordered on the EluneVision to prevent this but I’m trying to stay under $2000 for the screen.

My concern with the Seymour is that, again from what I’ve read, the weave tends to be more visible than the EluneVision. I expect couch seating will be located around 11’-12’ from the screen and there will be beanbags on the floor in front of the couch. I like that it reportedly has some gain vs the EluneVision but maybe that is not necessary?

There is a 9’ wide sliding glass door wall on the 15' wall in the "L" to the right but there are blackout curtains to block the light so the light can be well controlled during the day.

So experts and enthusiasts, in your opinion, what would be the best screen choice based upon the constraints of: Retractable, Tab-Tensioned, Acoustically Transparent, 4K ready, future proof, and ~$2000 budget (less is better). I may upgrade projectors in the future, but I don’t want to upgrade the screen. Any and all opinions and advice are welcomed.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-29-2014, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

After talking to Milosh at EluneVision, I ordered a motorized 120" EluneVision Reference Studio AudioWeave 4K yesterday. Very responsive and helpful company. After all the time I spent researching and thinking before ordering this screen, I hope I never have to replace or upgrade it due to technology changes. I'm looking forward to receiving it and setting everything up.
post #3 of 17 Old 01-30-2014, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Were you able to order the screen with the black backing I am also deciding between these two companies, my screen will be hanging in front of an LCD and do not want to deal with any reflection issues thanks.
post #4 of 17 Old 01-31-2014, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

While that is an available option, I didn't order the black backing. Milosh at EluneVision told me that the black backing was not necessary in my situation as I did not have a reflective surface behind the screen. Sounds like your situation might be a little different with a TV behind it. Give EluneVision a call and see what they think. They were very helpful when I called.
post #5 of 17 Old 02-03-2014, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

cchrono - another option would be to have black anti-reflective material to place or drop in front of your LCD versus backing the whole screen.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-31-2014, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Just thought I would follow up and post some pictures to wrap up the thread. Sorry about the low quality cell phone photos.

First I cut a 16" W x 30" H hole in the sheetrock above the mantle.

When I cut the hole in the wall, I found a very large space (2' D x 9' W x 6' H) above the fireplace that I was able to walk around in which really helped to route the 1.5" low voltage conduit.

Who doesn't love a day spent fishing. I installed an outlet in the ceiling behind the right end of the screen, one in the ceiling for the projector, and one in the recessed area to the left of the fireplace (right recessed area already had an outlet). I ran a 1.5" conduit from the right recessed area back to the projector and between the recessed areas. I also ran a coax for a sub from the right recessed area to the left front wall where I wanted the sub (there was already one on the right front wall).

Everything installed, patched and painted.

Screen down

post #7 of 17 Old 04-01-2014, 01:49 PM

Liked: 10
Very nice!
Do you like the screen so far?

I am getting closer to finishing my basement build and I am debating the screen situation. I have two windows with limited space between for a TV - maybe 55" TV at most. So I was going to build out a small soffit for a motorised screen to fit into (mostly going inbetween two joists, but it will have to hang down a bit, hence the inch or two soffit.

Debating between one of the monorprice offerings, the Elite products and now maybe Elunevision who i havent heard of until stumbling across your thread.

I can purchase the Monoprice screen at their lowest price point (I purchase $$$$ for work all year long from monoprice so we get the big discount) - that makes the monoprice screen about half of the Elune or Elite screens... so it's tempting.

I am only looking at 106 or 96" because of the room I have.

Would you suggest looking at the Elune?
post #8 of 17 Old 04-01-2014, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

I have nothing else to compare it with but I am very happy with the screen. It seems to be of good quality and something that I expect to last and provide years of service without having to upgrade. I really like the acoustic transparency and having the dialog come from the middle of the screen. The whole screen/projector installation has exceeded my expectations and the family has used it a lot since it was installed (we hardly use our 55" LCD TV anymore). If I were installing another screen for a relative or friend, I would definitely recommend that they look into the EluneVision products to see if they fit their needs and budget.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-02-2014, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Very nice. Just curious why you didn't go with a recessed ceiling projector screen (assuming the structure on the ceiling is parallel to the screen).
post #10 of 17 Old 04-02-2014, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I initially was planning to do recessed. But once my focus changed to screen material and I chose the EluneVision tab-tensioned 4K AudioWeave, I didn't find recessed housing as an option for that model. I considered making an aluminum ceiling plate for the screen to drop through and installing the existing housing in the ceiling but I wasn't sure what was above the existing ceiling and didn't want to tackle that right then. If I feel really ambitious in the future I could still do that.
post #11 of 17 Old 04-02-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2Sand View Post

Thanks. I initially was planning to do recessed. But once my focus changed to screen material and I chose the EluneVision tab-tensioned 4K AudioWeave, I didn't find recessed housing as an option for that model. I considered making an aluminum ceiling plate for the screen to drop through and installing the existing housing in the ceiling but I wasn't sure what was above the existing ceiling and didn't want to tackle that right then. If I feel really ambitious in the future I could still do that.

I see. I recently replaced a carada fixed screen with an electric. Looking back, I should have spend more to get an AT screen.tongue.gif. Can you hear the center speaker clearly?

I used a 6.5" & 2" moldings combined into one to build a cover for it.
post #12 of 17 Old 04-02-2014, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Center channel comes through loud and clear like the screen isn't even there. I also thought about using some crown moulding or forming some aluminum to wrap around the black housing and painting them ceiling color to disguise the housing but haven't gotten to it yet. I like what you did with the cover.
post #13 of 17 Old 04-02-2014, 12:51 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gozags View Post

Very nice!
Do you like the screen so far?

I am getting closer to finishing my basement build and I am debating the screen situation. I have two windows with limited space between for a TV - maybe 55" TV at most. So I was going to build out a small soffit for a motorised screen to fit into (mostly going inbetween two joists, but it will have to hang down a bit, hence the inch or two soffit.

Debating between one of the monorprice offerings, the Elite products and now maybe Elunevision who i havent heard of until stumbling across your thread.

I can purchase the Monoprice screen at their lowest price point (I purchase $$$$ for work all year long from monoprice so we get the big discount) - that makes the monoprice screen about half of the Elune or Elite screens... so it's tempting.

I am only looking at 106 or 96" because of the room I have.

Would you suggest looking at the Elune?

I have a 106" gray recessed and tension tabbed Monoprice that should be here any time. I talked to another owner on here through PM's and he really likes his screen. The few other reviews I was able to find were also positive. I am not sure why this screen hasn't caught on here as it is the cheapest recessed I could find that seemed to still have good quality. I will write a report once I get it up and running, but that is going to be months away as the basement remodel is still in the early stages. FYI I got it for 10% off, they were running a sale.
post #14 of 17 Old 04-02-2014, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

In my case, a lot of manufacturers got eliminated from consideration because they had no 4K AT offerings.
post #15 of 17 Old 04-02-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmn View Post

I have a 106" gray recessed and tension tabbed Monoprice that should be here any time. I talked to another owner on here through PM's and he really likes his screen. The few other reviews I was able to find were also positive. I am not sure why this screen hasn't caught on here as it is the cheapest recessed I could find that seemed to still have good quality. I will write a report once I get it up and running, but that is going to be months away as the basement remodel is still in the early stages. FYI I got it for 10% off, they were running a sale.

Great screen. I have a 120" white from them. I had a 1.3 carada that I replaced. When you are able to setup, pm me for instructions to adjust drop level. I learned the hard way and almost damage the screen wink.gif. Mine is non recessed but the adjustment is probably the same.
post #16 of 17 Old 04-03-2014, 03:11 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractng View Post

Great screen. I have a 120" white from them. I had a 1.3 carada that I replaced. When you are able to setup, pm me for instructions to adjust drop level. I learned the hard way and almost damage the screen wink.gif. Mine is non recessed but the adjustment is probably the same.

I will do that, thanks!
post #17 of 17 Old 07-28-2014, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I am looking for an electric screen and came across your thread. How is the EluneVision treating you? I was planning on a screen in the 100" - 110' range with a main listening position of about 11', so if you are happy with your 120" I think I'd be happy.

Reply Screens

Tags
Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv , Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Bic America F12 12 Inch 475 Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread