Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-29-2014, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
TL5
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Can someone explain how screen gain works? I'm looking at the Stewart Cima Tiburon, with .95 gain, and the Cima Neve with 1.1 gain. So will the Neve be 15% brighter? My screen will be on the small side (100" diag.) and I'm wondering if it's better to go with the Neve because of it's slightly higher gain, even though I have a light colored ceiling. Proj. will have 1700 lumens & my throw is about 11.5 feet.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-29-2014, 06:30 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by TL5 View Post

Can someone explain how screen gain works? I'm looking at the Stewart Cima Tiburon, with .95 gain, and the Cima Neve with 1.1 gain. So will the Neve be 15% brighter? My screen will be on the small side (100" diag.) and I'm wondering if it's better to go with the Neve because of it's slightly higher gain, even though I have a light colored ceiling. Proj. will have 1700 lumens & my throw is about 11.5 feet.

Thanks!

here is good explanation

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projector_screens_gain.htm
post #3 of 5 Old 01-29-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:

Thanks!

A gain of one is about that of a piece of computer paper. .95 is not much different,neither is 1.1
With 100" screen and less that 12' projector distance and 1700 lumen you are splitting hairs and the screen will be very bright.
The more important thing is screen texture and hot spotting will either it be visible from you seating distance?
Buy the projector first, order free screen fabric samples from the vendors and test them.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-29-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:

Thanks!

What projector are you planning on using?

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #5 of 5 Old 01-29-2014, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
TL5
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

What projector are you planning on using?

Either a Sony HW55Es or (if I can swing it)... 600ES. I know if I go with the Tiburon screen it'll be really bright for 2D, I'm concerned about 3D brightness.
Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page