Will a Da Lite HP screen work for me? Should I replace my Carada BW? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-05-2014, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I've decided to get an HP screen for 3D. I'm getting a Mits 7900 for just 3D and I'm gonna just use it on a stand when I watch 3D so I can get the projector at around eye level.

I also own the JVC RS4910. This projector is ceiling mounted at a height of 6.5 feet and is 12 feet away from the screen. The screen is very close to the ceiling and the top of the screen is about a foot higher then the projection lens.

Can I still use the HP screen with my JVC without getting serious issues? How much gain would I still get with my ceiling mounted JVC? Would there be serious hotspotting, or colour shifting or UNEVEN brightness uniformity with the HP and JVC?

I'd rather have 1 screen and just get a fixed frame HP screen and replace my Carada BW screen. I can also get a manual pull down HP screen and just run two screens. HP for 3D and Carada for the JVC.

Would the HP be beneficial or at least equal to the Carada in my setup? Even without the added gain, I'd be fine with the HP and JVC as long as their was no issues with screen uniformity.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-05-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 107
You won't get any gain, it will be about a standard gain of 1. After you set up your 3D projector, use it on 2D and I am going to bet you find a way to lower the JVC
post #3 of 10 Old 02-06-2014, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Will there be issues with the image though? I don't mind a 1.0 gain but not if the image is non uniform, uneven colours across the screen, etc. How would the HP with only 1.0 gain compare to the Carada?
post #4 of 10 Old 02-06-2014, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

Will there be issues with the image though? I don't mind a 1.0 gain but not if the image is non uniform, uneven colours across the screen, etc. How would the HP with only 1.0 gain compare to the Carada?

I have no idea, if I were you,I would order a free sample kit from Dalite and put them up on your current screen to get an idea. You will not see uniformity issues with the HP but still check out the samples.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-06-2014, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

I have no idea, if I were you,I would order a free sample kit from Dalite and put them up on your current screen to get an idea. You will not see uniformity issues with the HP but still check out the samples.

unfortunately a 8 x 10 sample won't help me with that. So uniformity should still be fine even though it's not getting any gain. Just don't want the top half of the screen to be brighter then the bottom half for examnple.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-06-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Uniformity will not be an issue. You could however order 6 or 8 samples of HP fabric and place equally around the screen for you own piece of mind.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-06-2014, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Uniformity will not be an issue. You could however order 6 or 8 samples of HP fabric and place equally around the screen for you own piece of mind.

Thats true. I wonder if they will send me that many samples. LOL, Maybe if I get enough samples I can patch together a screen for myself.

You seem confident that uniformity won't be an issue, So I'll take your word for it. It would be nice for someone else to confirm. Thanks.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-06-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

Thats true. I wonder if they will send me that many samples. LOL, Maybe if I get enough samples I can patch together a screen for myself.

You seem confident that uniformity won't be an issue, So I'll take your word for it. It would be nice for someone else to confirm. Thanks.
The bigger question brought up on your cross post which I had assumed you already verified is that the projector need a good amount of lens shift to be placed at center screen. Your whole purpose goes out the window if you new projector can not be set up correctly.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-06-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:

You won't get any gain, it will be about a standard gain of 1.

He hasn't given enough info to say that.

My pj is 7 ft from the floor and I get 1.8, though it's a lot farther back.

conan, you need to punch your setup data into Flaboy's screen gain calculator.

Noah
post #10 of 10 Old 02-11-2014, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

He hasn't given enough info to say that.

My pj is 7 ft from the floor and I get 1.8, though it's a lot farther back.

conan, you need to punch your setup data into Flaboy's screen gain calculator.

That is what I was going to suggest. Go to the search bar above and type in All Screen Gain Calculator .

I have tried the HP samples with a PJ mounted in the same relative position as you have suggested. , 10 inchs below the top of my screen. Even at 13.5 feet from the screen my Sony VPL VW500ES makes some serious gain
from the HP, certaily more than my 1.37 gain SOlar 4K.

BTW, you can get the HP from Elune Vision in Canada. They call it Cinema Pro 4K I believe. It is exactly the same, has no hot spotting but does have a predictable off axis loss that is not dramatic. IMHO the HP is one of the better choices
for 3D if you can set it up properly.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page