Stewart Firehawk SST and Sony VPL-VW50 question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-10-2014, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I've been to the end of the internet and back trying to get some info on this screen and projector and I haven't really found the info I've been looking for, so hopefully it is OK that I ask this question (or questions) on AVS.

I bought a house and the previous owner left a 100 inch motorized Stewart Firehawk SST screen with a Sony VPL-VW50. From what I'm able to gather, this set-up is probably from the mid-2000s. While I'm intrigued by the idea of a projector, the current location is in the middle of the main living room, which I don't exactly love (screen is hidden enough, the projector just hangs off the ceiling and I feel is kind of an eye sore). I had an AV person out and I asked if it could be moved to my finished basement and he said the way it is finished, there really isn't a good place to put a screen of this size. So my options are 1. leave it where it is and install a new TV in the living room as well or 2. sell the projector and screen.

I'm not huge into projectors so I'm leaning towards option 2. I guess I have two basic questions I'm hoping I can have some guidance on. First, is what I have still relevant to today's technology or is this stuff old news? Second question, if I were to try to part with it, what would be a fair price? Personally I'm thinking I'd rather sell it to someone that will use it more and appreciate it while giving me a few bucks to buy a new TV. But I could still leave it where it is for big movies/events while having a new TV be the daily viewing piece.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-13-2014, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone have an opinion?
post #3 of 5 Old 02-13-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba23 View Post

Hi,

I've been to the end of the internet and back trying to get some info on this screen and projector and I haven't really found the info I've been looking for, so hopefully it is OK that I ask this question (or questions) on AVS.

I bought a house and the previous owner left a 100 inch motorized Stewart Firehawk SST screen with a Sony VPL-VW50. From what I'm able to gather, this set-up is probably from the mid-2000s. While I'm intrigued by the idea of a projector, the current location is in the middle of the main living room, which I don't exactly love (screen is hidden enough, the projector just hangs off the ceiling and I feel is kind of an eye sore). I had an AV person out and I asked if it could be moved to my finished basement and he said the way it is finished, there really isn't a good place to put a screen of this size. So my options are 1. leave it where it is and install a new TV in the living room as well or 2. sell the projector and screen.

I'm not huge into projectors so I'm leaning towards option 2. I guess I have two basic questions I'm hoping I can have some guidance on. First, is what I have still relevant to today's technology or is this stuff old news? Second question, if I were to try to part with it, what would be a fair price? Personally I'm thinking I'd rather sell it to someone that will use it more and appreciate it while giving me a few bucks to buy a new TV. But I could still leave it where it is for big movies/events while having a new TV be the daily viewing piece.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

You will not get much for a Sony VW50. As for the screen, you can get a little money for it, if you have a local buyer, but most people these days, want a larger screen. I am kind of surprised that you can't find a location to fit a 100" screen in a basement. I would set it up there. I think you just need to talk to someone else about moving it.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #4 of 5 Old 02-13-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Have you watched it? If not, maybe use it for a few weeks and you will know what you want to do.
You would probably be better off moving it to the basement and enjoying it. if you don't like it in the livingroom.
If you sell it, the projector would get you about $200-$300 and the screen maybe the same if you can find someone local that wants it.
So do you think you can buy a 100" TV for your basement for $600? Of course I have a screen and projector in my living room and I would have it no other way..
post #5 of 5 Old 02-14-2014, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. The basement is finished with a sheetrocked ceiling and there are also some random posts in the middle of the basement that limit where you can either put a screen, projector, seating, or all of the above. The way it is done, there is no clear spot for it just because of the size. The one potentially good location for it already has a built in bar/7.1 surround sound set up already there with a spot for about a 55" TV to be hung on a wall between the front, left, and center speakers. If I wanted to put the screen there the left, center, and fronts would have to move but there really isn't a good place for them with the built in bar. Plus I think because of the posts, the seating would be too close to the screen anyway.

My problem with it in the living room is that I don't love the projector just hanging there. If I could do a motorized mount to hide the projector when it is not in use I definitely would leave it, but I looked into the cost of that and scraped that idea pretty quick.

I had a feeling the projector wasn't worth much but I'm surprised about the screen. I know it is a few years old but being a Stewart and motorized like it is, I thought it was worth a few bucks. Oh well. Thanks again.
Reply Screens

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw50 Sxrd 1080p Home Theater Front Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page